Sebring

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cote Dazur, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

I get it Sebring is bumpy in real life, but is Sebring too bumpy in RF2?
    It feels almost like a caricature. To the point I don’t enjoy driving it so much, is there a way or a mod to tune it down a notch?

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It's actually this Bumpy in real life, the track is Laserscanned so it's as close to the real thing as possible at the time of the scan.
    There is no way to "mod" it down unless you wanna find a Community made version and drive that instead, the only way to "tune" it down is either use the Stabalize Horizon setting (if you're referring to visuals) or raise your FFB Smoothing setting (if you're referring to FFB feel.)

Alex72 and Cote Dazur like this.
  3. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

No the visuals are fine, no issue there, it is the roughness of the bumps, too harsh, like my wheel is broken or it will break my wheel. It is not even that hard when going of track. I have no doubt the bumps are where they should be as it is laser scanned. Does not feel natural or realistic to me. :(

4. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Sebring has a lot of bumps, but not all laserscan systems are accurate on surfaces like Sebring. The rF2 version is true to layout, but comparisons between real MoTec data from a dPI car raced there last year and rF2 data have some huge differences. But it's still a good rendering.

5. AUY2K

AUY2K Registered

To me rF2 Sebring is the best race track out of any other track from any sim on today’s market! It truly is amazing and a blast to race on.

Hocician likes this.
  6. lagg

lagg Registered

Try to reduce the FFB multiplier.

7. Gregoryleo

Gregoryleo Registered

If you really don't like this version, you can get a smoother version of it at RaceDepartment by VLM. It's a little smoother to drive.
    https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/sebring-international-raceway.106/
    It's what I was using before I got this version, though I prefer 397's.
    All the tracks I have from VLM are top notch. but this one is better in my opinion.

8. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

You can watch onboard videos and see that it is a very bumpy track.

9. dazzer

dazzer Registered

If you think that is exaggerated I hope that you will never get on a GT or a open wheel never... hahahaha
    In my opinion I have not tried any steering wheel that reproduces the brutality of a lash without power steering ... :confused:

10. dazzer

dazzer Registered

a solution as they tell you would be to increase the smoothing of the FFB or simply lower its overall intensity :D

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There was a fellow here who stated the laser scan over-exagerated the sudden bumps and had some motec graphs to back up his argument. However, until somebody comes up with a better method, this version of Sebring is top shelf.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You should really read a bit more.

Anyway, if it's bumpy then it's bumpy. Being exactly like real life doesn't affect us as sim racers.

13. Gregoryleo

Gregoryleo Registered

It’s rather funny to me that several years ago some of the teams from the FIA came over to the US to race in the IMSA Series. The first thing that happened was most the splitters broke almost immediately. One of the drivers was quoted as saying that “Compared to American tracks, European track are like driving on a pool table.” And Sebring being known as one of the roughest tracks in the country by Americans, kind of says it all. This track isn’t for the faint of heart. :) I rather like it.

14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

When Penske first returned to ALMS with the Porsche LMP2 Spyder, the first race was Sebring and they brought a car that was very very stiff. One car broke early, the 2nd lasted most of the race but it too was parked before the end. After that year, Penske started with cars much more adaptable to the bumps and did rather well. The bumps at Sebring are real, really.

15. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

I already heard about the Sunset Bend kicking a gearbox out of race cars, if you hit the wrong line, not joking...it's Bumpy as hell...caricature style of bumpy. The "respect the bumps" quote is no coincidence or joke. :D

Watch some onboards of the Indy Car testing, even on the short track configs, it's already totally nuts even without the Sunset Bend on a helmet cam. The track didn't really experienced much resurfacing over longer periods of time.

With prototypes, open wheelers and even GTs, for example, Sebring is one of the hardest tracks IRL, with full demands on concentration for your line (to not hit the hardest bumps in Sunset Bend, it's mandatory), extremely physical exhausting, even painful and it breaks cars...constantly.
    This is the solution->
    Apply around 5 smoothing and see, if it gets better, no worries, rF2 still delivers a sh*tton of FFB fidelity, even if you go over 5 smoothing.^^

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  16. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Well, you're in luck to watch some on-board next weekend at Sebring.
    https://www.imsa.com/
    They normally have feeds on-board. You may be surprised to see how much smoother it is from an on-board too.

17. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

Surprisingly smooth...yes...whait what? o,O uhm nope...in T-Cam maybe...(and i know, that acceleration and deceleration also move the head, but this video shows the dips and bumps on exactly the same places on a pretty similar magnitude and it's just the short course.) What did you compare the DPi Motec Data too?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  18. Ermz

Ermz Registered

I can't relate with this at all. Sebring in rF2 is one of the best modeled tracks in all of sim racing. It's what I use to convert all of my friends over to rF2 (with great success). It feels amazing through the FFB.

What it sounds like is happening is that you either have the FFB mis-configured or your car setups are too soft (or both), and the cars are bouncing everywhere, rather than absorbing and damping the bumps.

19. Gregoryleo

Gregoryleo Registered

Ok if you think that is smooth. Then I think you may have spent too much in the stadium buggies in dirt.

20. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Smoothing value increases 20:);)