Feel of flat spot tires

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cabelo3d, Jul 5, 2020.

1. cabelo3d

cabelo3d Registered

I am playing this game with a Direct Drive OSW SimuCube 20nm Small Mige wheel and noticed a feeling of flat spot tires only during curves while driving McLaren 650S at Studio 397 Zandvoort. I am using 38% of FFb gain in game and 2 of smooth. Simucube settings as attached.
    Tried tweaking many settings but didn't get rid of this weird feeling.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DD.jpg

2. Comante

Comante Registered

Which is the weird feeling ? To feel the flatspot in the turns or to not feel in the straights?

mantasisg likes this.
  3. cabelo3d

cabelo3d Registered

To have the feel of flatspots (without having any) only in the curves and not on straights.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Does it happen at other tracks?

5. pri3st

pri3st Registered

I think what you're feeling is the tyre scrub in turns, I have the same sensation on sc2

6. cabelo3d

cabelo3d Registered

Answering about other tracks, yes I feel too.
    And about tyre scrub, is it possible to reduce that somehow?

7. qusimano

qusimano Registered

Why using smoothing 2 in game with a direct drive? Shouldn't be at 0?

8. cabelo3d

cabelo3d Registered

Because when you go over a kerb, you basically think you'll lose and finger or two due excessive shaking.

qusimano and pri3st like this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Usually by turning the wheel less.

David O'Reilly and OdeFinn like this.
  10. cabelo3d

cabelo3d Registered

Sounds very clever.

11. Comante

Comante Registered

In controller.json have you set your wheel torque? Rf2 need to know if you have a strong wheel to be sure to not exceed realistic forces.

12. cabelo3d

cabelo3d Registered

I recall I did once but I'm not sure it is there yet, will try to find how to do it, thank you.

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Somebody should gather and post a sticky topic with the torque values of as many brands/models of wheels available.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Why? Any that are strong enough to use that setting, you'd already know.

You can't adjust individual forces in the game. The feedback you get comes from the tyres interacting with the road surface and working back up through the suspension and steering arms to the rack and steering shaft. There is no option to boost or attenuate individual components or the overall force at specific times (like when scrubbing the fronts).

So to reduce the feeling of tyre scrub, you need to scrub the tyres less. Or, change overall FFB level or wheel settings to reduce the amplitude of that sort of feedback.

15. EricW

EricW Registered

Indeed check the Nm settings in the Controller.json.
    In my opinion it's best to leave the FFB multiplier for all cars in Rfactor2 untouched (no clipping seen ever on the SC1).
    And simply lower the overall strength in the profiler to your liking (there are no laws involved how much Nm you have to pull for realism...)
    I'd also advise to use Recon 8 instead of 4 (less grainy and more rubbery), which also could reduce a grainy flatspot effect.
    And maybe a bit more damping and friction instead of inertia (i keep it at 0)

16. Kevin van Dooren

Kevin van Dooren Registered

Lots of cars will clip with a ffb multiplier of 1, and not just on curbs.
    With GT cars the general recommendation is a maximum ffb multiplier of 0.8, with 0.75 being the safer option to avoid clipping.
    I use 0.6 on average with GT cars on an sc1. Recon filter on 3, damping and friction on 0.3%. No smoothing ingame.
    Recon filter adds delay, more filtering is more delay.
    Higher recon filter settings can also cause overshoot of the filtered signal vs original signal.
    Flatspots is not an effect, flatspots are physically there.

17. EricW

EricW Registered

thats funny...If thats the case, why is the multiplier per car not adjusted according these known clipping results for a SC1 profile in RF2? (since it's a general recommendation)
    I had to make my own clipping check app in Simhub to verify the amount of clipping, as there is no other way to check this in RF2.
    But thanks for the tips and values Kevin!!, i'll try them.
    The recon 8 is in my case based on feel, not on how much delay or latency it will cause, I believe it will not be tenths of a second.
    With a low recon the feel is grindy, harsh and far from a real tyre feel (i know how it feels irl)
    I did not say that the flatspots you can have in Rfactor 2 are a effect !!
    I said when you push the tyres beyond their ideal slip angle (what the TS was referring to earlier in the thread), than you get the "grainy flatspot (feeling TS was calling it) effect"
    Pfff, wow, thanks for your help Kevin

18. Kevin van Dooren

Kevin van Dooren Registered

It's what's generally recommended by experienced users within the community.
    Not sure what kind of answer you are expecting, feel free to use only default settings in rf2, have fun.
    Motec is quite convenient to check clipping.
    No need to get your panties all up in a bunch, but you're welcome.

19. EricW

EricW Registered

The problem with my panties dear Kevin, was the fact i was not asking anything....I was trying to give a user tip from own experience.
    And you felt the need to correct some of it without anybody asking for it ;)
    But thanks anyway.(already had Motec installed, so that is actually a good tip!!)

20. stonec

stonec Registered

Because people with lesser strength wheels like G29 will then complain the FFB feels weak, so what almost every sim does is to slightly overshoot the forces above the clipping point to compensate for weak consumer wheels.

vittorio and Lazza like this.