Reasonably priced DLC (and Ultimate collection)

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by CatAstrophe_05, Jul 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. CatAstrophe_05

CatAstrophe_05 Registered

As much as I love this sim, the one thing keeping me off of playing this to the extent I really should is the way that DLC is managed/priced. In my honest opinion, the DLC is vastly overpriced in comparasion to other sims (such as AC1), and it really doesn't help that you have to spend an intense amount of money buying every DLC seperately (easily within the £150 mark if my maths are correct).

I myself would recommend roughly halfing the price of DLCs as they are now, as I believe that having to pay upwards of £5 for single cars is frankly too much, even acknowledging the massive amount of effort that goes into each car. The same also applies for tracks, even though I don't honestly mind paying a little extra for the laser-scanned ones.

This poor pricing of DLCs is one of the things I believe is keeping rF2 from its full potential for both more casual and serious players alike, and as well as this, I would highly recommend creating some sort of Ultimate version or something else of the sorts, where every DLC is packaged in one bundle, as well as giving access to all future DLCs for free once this version is bought. I'd recommend a rough price of about £60-80, considering the prices of other games on the market. This is just my personal beliefs however, and I'm attempting to consider both S397's efforts and the average consumer's budget they can reasonably spend on a single sim.

jlnprssnr likes this.
  2. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

The price of the game is extremely low compared to the specific attributes of rF2 (realism + feel ....).

I personally find it normal to pay a hundred euros for such a realistic simulation.

Compared to what we spend on hardware, I find it normal that the software also pays.

In fact, it all depends on the quality of the mods : and it's just great (IMO).

This is an advantage of S397.

And comparing prices from one sim to another makes no sense IMO : quality and especially realism is not the same.

CatAstrophe_05 likes this.
  3. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

I see DLC's as a way to keep getting new content over time, by ensuring S397 to keep an income, and in the end the game have a much longer lifespan.

4. CatAstrophe_05

CatAstrophe_05 Registered

Yeah, you have a point. I was thinking of this more as a standpoint of someone who is debating picking up rF2 vs other sims.

Also correct. The trouble is not the DLCs themselves but the pricing imo.

5. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

They properly setting the prices at this level to survive/maintain development.

This sim is not a blockbuster, but a niche sim focusing on realism, so hats of for keeping it in a ongoing development.

Project Cars only have a lifespan of 18 month dispite DLC's.
    Iracing has a montly fee.
    AC is DLC's too but didnt it also go from one to another product AC to ACC? (dont know much about AC)

Its fine with me that DLC content costs between 5-15€ depending of which sorts.

6. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Reading that, i think you also would like it, when you get paid for your work only 1 time, with the money that you would earn in a year for example and work the rest of your life for nothing?
    Every employer would love to hire you immediately. :D

Highlandwalker likes this.
  7. Hocician

Hocician Registered

This discussion is so lame... What is the problem to pay something like 12€ for a Nordschleife or 8,99€ for Le Mans, Monaco? you cant watch a 2hrs movie in the cinema for the price of a Nordschleife ... you cant get a good meal with a drink in the restaurant for a laser scanned track for a niche game with so much work to bring it on...

If you like it cheaper than go and play those mainstream games where everything is cheaper... but for quality in a niche product you have to pay this! What you get is the best quality tracks on the market with Sebring, Nordschleife, Le Mans and so on! If you think the content is´nt worth the money you dont have to buy it... and even if you dont buy it - you get a portland track for free and have a lot of mods you can choose from...

rFactor 2/Studio 397 needs this DLC money... so i pay this with a good feeling ... and it is worth every penny if you look what has happened in the last years!!

8. Moe Faster

Moe Faster Registered

"You gets what's you pays for."

9. stonec

stonec Registered

Kunos likely negotiated most of the license deals for AC1 over five years ago. Prices on everything has increased since then and probably even more in the market for licensing cars and tracks, since we now have lots of more sims trying to compete with each other licensing content, whereas in AC1 beginning times only iRacing had plenty of official cars and tracks. In other words, AC1 is simply not a good comparison for today's sim DLC prices.

10. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

Some people can spend of fortune on hardware but consider software is worth shit...
    That content, made for a small niche, is not growing on trees.

DrivingFast, Hocician and Andy Bonar like this.
  11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I WANT A FERRARI! I can't afford a Ferrari.... so Ferrari should reduce the price so I can afford it.

The "man hours" it takes to research, implement and release ONE car.... £5 is miniscule. How much did you pay for your wheel? How much did you pay for your video card? How much have you used them and plan on using them?

Hocician likes this.
  12. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

+1