[REL] Gnoo Blas conversion. 1953 Historical Version

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Mike Cantwell, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

GNOO BLAS Released

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2173926325

Version 1.10

* Added many track side objects
    * Animated marshals and flagman
    * Billboard crowds
    * Race cars in pits and spectators cars

The future updates will just be fine tuning the track

Best run with Black Flag rules. You do not want the pace car here....:po_O:rolleyes:

Gnoo Blas Version 1.05

* Added road edges

* Added a number of new homes to try and represent the real one from photos

* Updated trees from newly sourced photos

* Added rail crossing gates

* Corrected Ash Street to be dirt not bitumen.

* Various other little tweaks. Please report bugs and I will do my best to fix.

GNOO BLAS Version 1.02 Released

* Fixed *.gmt issue. Sorry about that.

Gnoo Blas Version 1.000

* This is a conversion of the original rFactor track, made in 2013 by Neil Faichney

* All objects and most textures are used except for those that RF2 require.

* This is an initial conversion, and there is still a LOT of work to do.

FUTURE UPDATES

* The next lot of updates will include updated houses and additional objects

* Animated marshals and flag men

Due to my wife having a serious illness, I will do as much as time allows.

Special thanks to Neil Faichney, you did an awesome job.
    Heartfelt thanks. I will do my best to make this track special.

Mike Cantwell

Got permission at last...took years lol.

No time frame......before Christmas I hope.

This track I may see if I can lock it up as it was originally a paid project done with funded by Tourism NSW. I will see how it turns out.

Gnoo Blas Motor Racing Circuit 1953 v1.0 for rFactor
    By Neil Faichney
    July 2013

NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT
    DO NOT USE TEXTURES FROM THIS WORK WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT
    SEE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BELOW

This is a virtual historic reconstruction of the Gnoo Blas race track as it was in 1953. The project was organised by Rod Monk of Troyton Racing Simulators and has been funded by Tourism NSW as a promotion for the city of Orange (Central Western NSW, Australia).

The Gnoo Blas Motor Racing Circuit was a temporary race track located in the rural city of Orange in NSW and ran car and bike races from 1953 to 1961. It was the birth place of the Australian Touring Car Championship (1960) which has now evolved into the Australian V8Supercar Championship. It was also the place where Sir Jack Brabham began his road racing career.

Orange is only 40 minutes drive down the road from Bathurst and it was this proximity that arguably led to to it's eventual closure. The public roads that it was run on still exist today with very little change. Anyone can go there and drive around the original circuit layout.

If you are visiting the Bathurst/Orange area make sure you visit the old Gnoo Blas track and experience Australian motorsport history.

Credits
    -------

Track modelling and Textures*
    - Neil Faichney

Research
    - Rod Monk
    - Neil Faichney

* a small number of textures came from BTB Xpacks and other free-to-use sources and I do not claim them to be my own work.

Special Thanks
    --------------
    - Denis Gregory of the Gnoo Blas Classic Car Club for providing us with much of research material as well as personal accounts of his own racing at the venue.

- Trudi at Orange City Library for helping to track down extra research material.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE

DEFINITIONS:
    "THIS WORK" = "GNOO BLAS MOTOR RACING CIRCUIT 1953 BY NEIL FAICHNEY"

THIS WORK OR ANY PART THEREIN IS STRICTLY FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY. COMMERCIAL USE IS NOT PERMITTED WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT FROM THE AUTHOR(S).

THIS WORK OR ANY PART THEREIN IS LICENSED SOFTWARE CONTENT. OWNERSHIP OF THIS WORK OR ANY PART THEREIN REMAINS WITH ITS ORGINAL AUTHORS(S).

THIS WORK IS STRICTLY FOR PERSONAL USE WITHIN THE I.S.I. SOFTWARE TITLE "RFACTOR" ONLY. CONVERSION OF THIS WORK OR ANY PART THEREIN TO ANY OTHER SOFTWARE IS NOT PERMITTED. PLEASE CONTACT THE AUTHOR TO REQUEST CONVERSION TO OTHER SOFTWARE. THE AUTHOR RESERVES THE RIGHT WHETHER OR NOT TO CONVERT THIS WORK OR ANY PART THEREIN TO OTHER SOFTWARE.

DERIVATIVE WORKS INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ARTWORK, RENDERINGS, IMAGES, VISUAL COMPOSITIONS, VIDEOS, AUDIO, ETC. FOR COMMERCIAL USE BASED ON THIS WORK OR ANY PART THEREIN ARE NOT PERMITTED WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT FROM THE AUTHORS(S).

DISTIBUTION OF THIS WORK IS ONLY PERMITTED UNDER THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS:

1. THIS WORK OR ANY PART THEREIN MAY ONLY BE DISTRIBUTED NON-COMMERCIALLY AND WITHOUT CHARGE, TRADE, OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF GAIN, UNLESS PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT IS GRANTED BY THE AUTHOR(S) AND ANY THIRD PARTY COPYRIGHT OWNERS.

2. THIS WORK OR ANY PART THEREIN MAY ONLY BE DISTRIBUTED IN THIS INSTALLER AS A WHOLE UNLESS PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT IS GRANTED BY THE AUTHOR(S). DO NOT REPACKAGE THIS WORK OR ANY PART THEREIN IN ANY WAY FOR DISTRIBUTION. IF INCLUDED IN A MOD PACK IT MUST BE INCLUDED IN THIS INSTALLER FORM - NOT IN ANY OTHER FORM. THIS IS TO MAINTAIN QUALITY AND AVOID SERVER MISMATCHES.

ALL MODELS, MESHES, TEXTURES, GRAPHICS, ARTWORK, AUDIO AND ANY OTHER ELEMENTS OF THIS WORK AND INSTALLER PACKAGE REMAIN THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY OF THE RESPECTIVE AUTHORS AND MAY NOT BE USED, COPIED, REWORKED OR RE-PRESENTED WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT FROM THEIR RESPECTIVE AUTHORS.

ALL DUE CARE HAS BEEN TAKEN IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS WORK AND INSTALLER PACKAGE HOWEVER THE USE OF THIS WORK AND INSTALLER PACKAGE IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE AUTHOR ACCEPTS NO REPONSIBILITY FOR ANY LOSS OF INCOME, DAMAGE TO MATERIAL ITEMS, DAMAGE TO HARDWARE, DAMAGE TO SOFTWARE, LOSS OF DATA, OR INJURY RESULTING FROM THE INSTALLATION OR USE OF THIS WORK AND INSTALLER PACKAGE.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    GertjanD, SRGP, nonamenow and 13 others like this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Great work Mike. You are a true Bulldog.

3. bears

bears Registered

Great stuff Mike another classic Australian historic track. If you ever get some spare time and the enthusiasm Amaroo Park would be a great addition to Rf2 ...

No pressure love whatever you produce :)

Obbzy_XR_ likes this.
  4. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Have to start somewhere. Just getting basic textures done and get into game. Should get it done maybe today.

Being 1953 Orange NSW......not many buildings in that area and hope to give it the look of Longford I guess. Similar landscape.

Attached Files:

atomed, Corti and Mauro like this.
  5. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

So this is going to be more work than expected. :(:p

Neil Faichney did a stellar job when he made this for RF1. It is all Bob's Track Builder and that is the issue....it does not play well with RF2.

The track and dirt blending was done with textures rather than vertex blending (although there is a bit of that too!)
    Getting this to look good will be a mission but worth it. I will post an update next Monday all going well. My bride has had a few tough days not sure of what the next week will hold.

Anyway, once I get my head around how to do this, this will be a nice little track.

Here is what I am trying to get into RF2...

Attached Files:

6. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Looks like a mammoth task Mike.

7. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

A little update. Getting the grass done and it looks pretty good. All I need to do is map the objects and get them into game.

Pit area has come up well and the fence looks really good.

The biggest job will be blending the track edge........not looking forward to that. :eek::D

The screen shots below are the old RF1 on the left and the new RF2. The new shaders make this look really good.

wip02.jpg WIP03.jpg

Corti, jimagn, GPNeville and 3 others like this.
  8. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

More progress at Mrs Muttons corner......fences....12km of fences lol. They are all there, just need renaming and mapping. So many objects in this version.....and of course, if you know Orange...Mount Canobolas in the back ground looks very familiar to me.

I lived at Orange NSW from 1967 to 1989. We used to have organized street drags on the pit straight till the insurance was too high.

wip04.jpg wip05.jpg wip06.jpg

svictor, leseb64, pkelly and 3 others like this.
  9. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Wow this looks amazing! Never even heard of this track before reading this thread! Just found a video and it reminds me of a 'mini Longford'. Can't wait to try it!

Here's the vid of the rF1 version for anyone else, who like me, was unaware this track existed...

Superdevil, Corti, jimagn and 3 others like this.
  10. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

More updates. Fences and roads done. Building next, then grass and trees... :)

wip11.jpg wip12.jpg wip13.jpg wip14.jpg wip15.jpg

11. jimagn

jimagn Registered

Can't wait to try this with the 1954 Endurance mod. :D

12. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

More progress. Here is a 5 lap AI race. Buildings, fences,, walls and other larger objects are done. Next is the grass and tree objects.

13. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

That was awesome! I felt like I should be spitting dirt out of my mouth after watching that.

It's going to be hard to find brake points on this track...

Mike Cantwell likes this.
  14. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Once the trees etc get up, then the brake marks will be the trees, grass clumps. They did not have markers in 1953 at this track lol

15. buzz hornet

buzz hornet Registered

Awesome work

16. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

We have an orchard! At the end of Mental Straight, just past Windsock Corner.

Grasses are done, all I need to do is adjust the colour and experiment with various grasses to get the right one. Creek long grasses come up well and look great. Original textures did the job, just reduced the exposure and de-saturated a bit.

Lots of trees and settings to work out....maybe a full week just in the trees. It is crazy how BTB works and the way it does the mapping. 50 trees (objects) each have the same texture but the number of each one is different, so 3D Max can not assign the correct image to the poly....have to manually...

The original track used about 3 or 4 gum tree textures and 6 or so others trees. I have collected 22 gum trees textures since 2008 and these will add to the diversity.

Next update in a week or so.....another day of chemo for my bride tomorrow, so a tough week ahead.

Here are a few WIP shots.

wip17.jpg wip18.jpg wip19.jpg wip20.jpg wip21.jpg wip22.jpg wip23.jpg wip24.jpg

lbird, pascom, atomed and 11 others like this.
  17. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Hey everyone. Had a good week. So did some more work and all of a sudden....no more objects to work on!
    So, basically finished. I will install on the main game and run some cars to see. Here are some screen shots. Lots of bush and looks like the real thing. Pretty happy so far.

Attached Files:

pascom, Flatspotter, atomed and 12 others like this.
  18. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

More screenshots.....

Attached Files:

lbird, pascom, Flatspotter and 15 others like this.
  19. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

Looks fantastic :) Well done, Sir

20. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Looking good. Great work.