Having second thoughts already (*update: not anymore)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eRacer_, Jul 3, 2020.

1. eRacer_

eRacer_ Registered

I want to know what I’m missing if I return this game. I’m thinking in returning it (including the endurance pack). I still have 36 hours. Just started the game and I already have a glitch in my throttle, cars won’t get over 150 kmh and all gears change like crazy (as if the gearbox was really close or my throttle was hyper sensible)

Also, I made a few laps with the Nissan GT500 (at 150 kmh) and the sound in this game is just terrible compared to any other sim. I knew about the graphics (I can live with that) but the PS2 sounds are too much.

Not to mention that some genius thought it was a great idea to place a bloody trivial in the place of the captcha to register in this forum. It took me 15 minutes to register. If this is the way things are done around here… I’m regretting the purchase already.

Don’t get me wrong, I want to love it but I don’t really know if is worth it. Is it?

2. eRacer_

eRacer_ Registered

Why some cars sound amazing (Aston) and some other sound like Gran Turismo 4 (GT500?

This is the real nissan gt500. Like day and night.... basically for the digital version someone recorded a milkshake blender

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  3. Filip

Filip Registered

Nissan has one of the worst sounds.
    There are cars with nice sounds, drive those instead.
    It seems you have wrongly configured or malfunction in controller.
    Forum is not needed to drive, therefore irrelevant.

Sorry can't help about having second thoughts.

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

As for 150km/h, a pit speed limiter maybe ?

Yes sound is often not that great. Usually onboard sounds are alright to my likes. But exterior sounds aren't.

It can take a bit to to sort out content which pleases you in rF2. Some cars needs to get used to in some laps of slower pace.

Also, from my personal experience, rF2 enjoyment is constantly growing, now I have 1500 hours. With AC for example enjoyment very quickly peaked, then satyed stable for several hundred hours and started declining, I have over 2000 hours in AC, few hundred too much IMO.

atomed likes this.
  5. sb10

sb10 Registered

I have never posted to any sim-site, having played most titles since GPL. My advise would be to work through this teething period, rFactor 2 is the only sim that I have that "feels" correct for "steering in" vs "car response". Maybe return all of the add-ons and work with the core game until you have a handle on it. It does have some quirky bits and pieces in the set up and gui that I needed to work through before I felt comfortable.

6. Comante

Comante Registered

You can't test a simulator in few hours , RF2 is not even user friendly until you enter the cockpit. Keep the base content and return the extra you bought , there is plenty of free content to test the simulator. So, if after a month it doesn't taste good, you lost just s bit.
    Rf2 is not fire and drive to the limit, this is a plus to me.
    Takes time to love it.
    But usually brabham bt20 and 1966 Belgium get people triggered forever.

7. likes_simracing

likes_simracing Registered

For many, this game takes time to love.

I also almost gave up before. One of the things that turned me off was the severe understeer on some of the default cars, and I did not have patience to do setups. Plus the lack of mods (spoiled on rF1 and AC). But I realized most mods in AC/rF1/AMS are not really that good, just that I wanted to satisfy my desire to drive these mods at least once. So I uninstall these mods soon after. But with rF2, I did not have to look very far to find a sweet spot. Now I am very happy just driving a small rotation of official content repeatedly.

I have played/still playing most of the popular and favored sims around, but I always use rFactor2 when I want to validate a change of driving style and how to interpret road feel to what the car is doing. It is the only sim I have (I don't have ACC so don't know if that feels similar) where I can clearly sense the rubber slowly deforming and squirming under load. In my mind, this is what separates rF2 from the pack. Everyone can do suspension physics and their influence to FFB forces to adequate precision, but rF2 tire forces feel unmatched.

8. eRacer_

eRacer_ Registered

Thank you for the imputs. I really appreciate all the advice. Testing now, time to to have a proper look this time.

atomed and David O'Reilly like this.
  9. Binny

Binny Guest

OMFG what did you expect in a few hrs rf2 is not a console. You say you are returning have you ever played rf2 ? as your comments tell me NO you have not cannot even get the accelerator working. Newbie i bet or bought sim ages ago never put time and effort in to learn it. good luck with your decision.

10. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

rf2 is instant love

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@eRacer_ you also need to have played the game less than 2 hours to return it. It takes longer than that just to set it up right.

There isn't instant joy or gratification here - just a fantastic driving experience.

I'd suggest following the earlier advice, refund the DLC to limit your losses, spend a few days getting the game set, and see how you go. If you don't have the patience wait and try again later. This isn't a pick up and play console game.

Rui Santos and The Great Apt like this.
  12. eRacer_

eRacer_ Registered

I get what you say. I think I'm going to keep it.

I fixed the issue with the throttle (min/max settings)
    Also found some useful video/audio settings guides.

Been lapping silverstone like a maniac in GTE pack cars.
    I don't love it yet, but I like it.

atomed and David O'Reilly like this.
  13. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Good stuff.
    You mentioned understeery default setups. Very common as they are more "approachable" unlike oversteer.
    Quick and dirty setup fixes include;
    Increase rear ARB stiffness or rear springs, dampers.
    Soften front springs, ARBs.
    Less diff lock helps too (entry understeer lower coast, exit lower power side).

Separately; one popular exploit is to run minimum tyre pressures although I tend to like a little more front tyre pressure.

The Great Apt and atomed like this.
  14. Comante

Comante Registered

Then it came FFB tuning time: for general consumer wheel set ingame FFB somewhere around 0.8 , and minimum torque maybe 8%. If you have a better than most wheel, is worth the time checking the forum for setup tips.

15. svictor

svictor Registered

Make sure you have turned off all assists in Options > Difficulty, you can keep auto-clutch.

RF2 is basically a moddable version of Live for speed, which both have one of the best tyre physics feedback, not to mention all the other advanced physics features RF2 has (takes time to find them out, even after years of playing).

And modding is one of most important part of RF2, there are a lot modders working hard behind scene, at the moment there is just no sim can replace it (pick any car on any track and drive however one likes to with one of the best physics). Those are the reasons RF2 still popular, especially among the mid age players, and many have played sims since the days of GPL (which is still a fantastic sim after 20 years).

bwana likes this.
  16. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I suggest to use at the beginning only 100% S397 content.
    Not 100% exhaustive.

- 2 packs GT3, DlC
    - Endurance pack , DLC
    - Formula E 2nd pack, DLC
    - Brabham BT44B
    - March 761
    - McLaren M23
    - McLaren MP4/13
    - McLaren MP4/8
    - Radical SR3 XXX (DLC)
    - All studio 397 Tatuus (7)
    - Pack with Senna GTR + Aston martin GTE (DLC)
    - BMW M2 CS (DLC)
    - Porsche Cup (DLC)
    - I probably forgot 3 or 4 official cars.

For tracks to test rF2 buy Sebring (you can refund I think).

Then other official laser scanned tracks :

Monaco (circuit d'azur), Nurburgring, Le Mans, Sebring (also New york eprix, monaco eprix and another I dont have the name, if you like these kinds of tracks.).

Also other official tracks are uneven, same for modding tracks.

These tracks modders make good tracks (there are others) :

- Pixsim
    - Senormen
    - heikki21
    - lemax
    - Nibiru
    - odb (a lot good tracks)
    - da-digga
    - schumi21

If you use only good content, youll have a better impression of rF2.

Take A LOT OF TIME to configure the FFB.

Graphics are very good if you have a good PC in ultra.

atomed likes this.
  17. eRacer_

eRacer_ Registered

mind blown. Now I understand.

As you all said s397 content is quality. I'm racing the porsche gte, and is really rewarding.
    I'd say that it makes ACC feels like an arcade. You can't just make sudden changes in your line at high speed without turning your pants brown. I'm sure this is tuneable, but it will take me weeks to tune it, and only minutes to adapt and keep driving.
    The suspension feels so real. The tyre model is awesome. I love running with ABS off, really rewarding (and the best way to learn to brake properly). And the new UI is top of its class.

I bought the tracks pack and Le Mans looks fantastic. I don't feel prepared to enter the green hell yet. Not even thinking about multiplayer. There is so much more feedback I'm not used to.
    I guess this depends of the car. I run the porsche at 120% minimum torque 10%.
    If the Porsche feels so alive... how is the Senna??
    No, I was talking of returning the game (read properly before replying, a bit too salty for my taste. You hurt my feelings;)).

I'll keep it because:
    GT Sport is full of kids that ruin your race
    PCars2, unfortunately the same (although it feel like a better game)
    RaceRoom is actually interesting but there are fewer serious drivers
    ACC has serious unreal engine issues and I'm not going to expend £400 in upgrades to run a game that was at +60 fps in my PC 6 months ago but now only gives me 30fps. Also, the physics in rFactor2 feel much more realistic.

So I'm going to keep it and I will learn to be a better driver.

18. Raven_ARG

Raven_ARG Registered

Yes, some settings need a tweak from user side. There is plenty of content and tweaks to explore for enchancing the personal preferences.
    As for the sounds I recommend Dodd's RF2 Audio Overhaul. With engine sound from 50% to 100% depending of the mod because each mod is different in every aspect (keep that in mind).

eRacer_ likes this.
  19. Comante

Comante Registered

Yes is car dependant but being RF2 FFB only simulated phisically, without artificial effect, you need to keep your signal within 100% output capability of your wheel. Unfortunately at the moment there is not a way to see when you have clipping, but it is worth to note that you want to feel your forces when they are more useful (in turns) turning them too much up can deprive you of information in the high segment of forces.

eRacer_ likes this.
  20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Huh? This is the GTR GT500 before the new regulations took place, it is using a V8 and the sound in game is spot on

*too lazy to look for an onboard with clean sound but this one is good enough to given an idea

This is the car after new regulations, using an l4 turbo engine...

At least inform yourself better before complaining mate...