Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Captain Underpants

Captain Underpants Registered

Thanks mate will try out today. I think i may also just have settings up too high. How optimised is this game for VR?
    I currently have supersampling set on 1.3 in debug tool. asw off.
    All video settings in game on high, AA on med.

Running a i7 8700
    16gb ddr4 2400 ram
    rtx 2080ti
    rift s

Could someone tell me if i'm being too optimistic with my expectations. :/ He he!

2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I have same your pc spec .
    I’m running all high-full setting expect for
    Shadows-medium
    Opponents cars-medium
    Reflections-medium
    I have AA-3
    SS-1.7
    PP-off( personally I don’t notice any difference between PP of and ON in the visual part).
    In Studio397 tracks I have no problems at all running stable 80fps . Only on the start with 13 visible AI it drops to 55-60 FPS but after some corner it returns to stable 80fps.
    I noticed that all tracks from Reiza tracks are perfectly optimized for VR..
    The only track of Studio397 where I have issues are both Nürburgring Nordschleife and GP... they need a lot of optimization for VR.
    With third party tracks.. most of them are bad with VR.
    lol in some of them even setting every thing on low and running private sessions I can’t go over 40fps☹️

3. Captain Underpants

Captain Underpants Registered

Just finished around 3 hours of tweaking. Got Simcommander4 working, got oculus tray tool working @ 1.5 ss.
    Yep if I put all video settings on high, AA on high, ss @ 1.5, Shadows med, opponent cars med, both reflection settings on med I'm getting solid 80 fps even in pouring rain conditions. Oh I still have post processing on high so I'll see if I can squeeze some more SS by disabling it ( thanks for tip bro)
    Thanks for all your help :D now, what other settings can my OCD tweak? Oh yeah I haven't even started on individual car setups yet. Got my wheel and pedals sorted. The throttle was way to touchy so had to drop the sensitivity curve right down to 0%
    That said the tyre physics in this game definitely hold up to their reputation, I am having a ball drifting a stock car around Zandvoort :D
    Loving the sim so far and the Nordschleife track is best I've played on any sim so far! Is it laser scanned?

Anyways many spanx for taking the time to help.

GTClub_wajdi likes this.
  4. Marcel Kempenaar

Marcel Kempenaar Registered

Hi all. I've been a longtime VR user and started with rf2 as soon as VR was supported. Have enjoyed it greatly first in the Rift CV1 and for the last year in the Rift S. While there are a number of known issues (flickering being one of them), once on track it's just awesome!

To get a bit better visual quality I 'upgraded' to the HP Reverb and, unfortunately, it became fully unplayable now. Starting from the menu (both in the old and new-UI), everything is out of focus (not sure what the exact term is but the image isn't aligned properly) and by such an amount that I can't correct for that by going cross-eyed. Just to make it clear that it's not the IPD setting of the headset as going from 60mm to 70mm hardly gives any effect. In rf2 I've tried the 1.0 config option for IPD as well as other mentioned number that I've found to no avail.

On track though, the car itself is very sharp and everything is as it should including a very readable dash. But everything on track is clearly out of focus no matter how close or far it is including other cars. I can feel a headache rising just after 10sec.

I've removed the UserData folder to let rf2 re-create all ini files, tried it before and after upgrading Windows (v2004 now) and Nvidia drivers, new version of WindowsMRforSteamVR was released in between tests and all without any effect. I had similar issues in iRacing where the in-game UI and clouds were out of focus but that was due to their SPS feature in combination with an Nvidia 1xxx series card. I've fixed those issues by adding this to 'Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings'

"NoInterEyeRotation" : {
    "battlezone_dx11.exe" : true,
    "battlezone_dx12.exe" : true,
    "DOOMVFRx64.exe" : true,
    "Fallout4VR.exe" : true,
    "iRacingSim64DX11.exe" : true,
    "iRacingLauncher.exe" : true
    }

Is anyone experienced with this issue and or has a suggestion on what to try? I would have to return the headset if this isn't fixable which is a shame as the clarity of it is a huge upgrade (sweet-spot, comfort and the controllers are a huge downgrade though).

Running HP Reverb on an i5 8600K and Nvidia 1080Ti

Jan Pokorný likes this.
  5. vittorio

vittorio Registered

This will probably be my next simracing high-res VR Headset, upgrading from Oculus CV1. HP Reverb G2. Available in fall this year. New teaser video:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  6. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

It seems a very high quality VR headset but the FOV lets it down. For simracing I was hoping for 150 of FOV.

7. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

Where do we set super sampling again? My view in VR is super fuzzy. Was much better before. I looked in the menus but could not find VR settings.

8. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I notice the same thing today with my oculus S the view was fuzzy and a lot of aliasing.

9. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

The setting of supersampling on rift s is either via steam vr in the menus, or if you use opencomposite instead there are 2 files and the setting is in one of them.

This setting corresponds to the setting that you can have manually in the oculus debug tool application (1st line I think) that you find in the oculus folder of your installation.

Via opencomposite I put 1.3 (130%) which corresponds precisely to 1.5 times the number of pixels per eye compared to the Full HD resolution. It's the minimum for me to have something acceptable.

Remember to check that your helmet does not adapt its resolution in relation to performance, as this could explain a sudden loss of image quality (steam + oculus software).

I do not know more and I am not in front of the PC.

10. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Please care the explain the last part.

11. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I think I saw on steam and maybe on oculus software that the resolution or supersampling of the helmet could adapt to the performance, if a box is checked.

Sorry, I don't know any more.

12. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

I am using a rift, where is that menu in steam vr, I looked yesterday but cannot find a super sampling setting in there.

13. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Agree. For me HP Reverb G2 plus 130° FOV and not introducing god rays (like you get with the Index, cause of higher FOV lenses) and it would be the perfect simracing VR HMD.

14. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I no longer use steam VR, but when you launch rF2 normally steam VR launches, you just have to configure it to change the supersampling of the helmet.

I do not know more.

15. Jan Pokorný

Jan Pokorný Registered

I have the same problem with HP reverb. Please advise

16. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

How do you use vr with a rift in RF2 without steam vr?
    There is no oculus option in RF2

17. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

18. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

19. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

Like Fucitol I too have been a long time user of VR with a CV1 and a 1080ti however since the latest build of RF2 I have been really struggling to get a steady FPS and relative clarity and smoothness that I have been used to. I seem to recall S397 mentioned somewhere that they made a change to of graphic calcs from the CPU to the GPU and perhaps this was the issue. However afterburner shows that neither the CPU of GPU are that hard pressed so it could be an oculus thing too.

My solution was to revert back to triples for the time being....crikey I forgot how good RF2 can look with all the effects turned up...especially the new Le Mans upgrade. I'm all for the immersion of VR but given that I hadnt used triples for a couple of years, the immersion with triples is not far off VR with all the room lights off and a head tracker.

I hope in the future the VR issues will be resolved in time but would suggest to those with the option of triples to give them another go in the interim

20. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

Thank you @Narrowbackwing & @DrivingFast , but I am not going to try to install some hack and I am not going back to pancake, even the pile of 3 pancake. :D

I drive in full immersion 3d or not at all.
    Let's hope that S397, in all of their wisdom, will see fit, in 2020, to deliver an up to date Oculus VR experience, at a click of an option button, like all my other SIM, to all the VR enthusiast (left) that think, like me, that RF2 is still worth the effort.
    Unfortunately, sub par VR is not the only effort necessary to enjoy all that RF2 has to offer.

Meanwhile I will keep enjoying Le Mans 2018 with the GTE/LMP (no LMP1) and keep pretending, I am racing on a foggy day. :oops: