Latest Roadmap Update - June 2020

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jun 30, 2020.

1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Good news, and I love that all GTE and GT3 will receive all the expertise newly acquired by S397.

I can't wait for the UI to be in public version and occupy a less important place in all the tasks of S397.

Contrary to the majority of the tasks undertaken, this UI will not have been a success, in particular in terms of deadlines but also of specifications and realization (IMO).

Hazi likes this.
  2. Claude H.

Claude H. Registered

BMW M4 GT3

3. strannikxxxxx

strannikxxxxx Registered

lamborghini huracan gt3 evo

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

"Why aren't you concentrating on what I want you to?!"

Can't win... if they said they were doing example cars then you would have someone saying "what about tracks?!"

McKiernan, atomed, lagg and 2 others like this.
  5. buzz hornet

buzz hornet Registered

Thanks, a good update.

6. badun

badun Registered

I can not believe not one single person has mentioned the joke at the end of the road map.
    Another work around.
    104 cars on a server , in rf2.
    Pah!

7. dazzer

dazzer Registered

I understand that documentation makes things easier for users who do not understand, but at this point the tracks are much more complex in graphic terms than cars, in the particular case of the window, even with 200 windows, I would not fully understand its operation.
    Import tools like 3dsimed are useless in matters like mapping the second channel or changing the color of the vertices.
    Obviously, at first it hurts my head and it is difficult to understand the steps, I had to translate all the documentation and even later there were things that I did not understand due to the translation, but with and a couple of 3dsmax tutorials on youtube, I was ready.

Now, without a doubt, the community's idea is to try to solve the doubts that are generated and help each other, in case you have any questions about the crystals, shaders or animations, do not hesitate to contact me. or the other users.

pkelly likes this.
  8. stonec

stonec Registered

Not 104 cars, 104 clients. Remember that a client that is a spectator doesn't need to get synced in similar way than an actual driver. There is no reason why a 100 Mbps server couldn't handle 104 clients if most of them are spectating. One client uses roughly something like 128-256 kbps of bandwidth if even that when spectating. It's one of those things you would just assume it's better to have people leaving the server, but all the joining and leaving might actually be causing bigger load spikes temporarily when things like realroad need to get re-synced every time.

I thought this roadmap was an interesting read, especially about the development procedures, seems in line with modern software development workflow. The million of lines of code base gives a picture of how complex development is, hopefully this will put an end to the requests to have rF2 rewritten from scratch.

Emery, pkelly, McKiernan and 3 others like this.
  9. Ermz

Ermz Registered

Please let it be this.

[​IMG]

10. dazzer

dazzer Registered

11. qusimano

qusimano Registered

+1

TheGame316 likes this.
  12. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Interesting read this month.

For the esports events, the idea of "AllStars" series was a good one and it sounded like the oldies had a good time. Sadly I picked the Indy events to watch, and it was terrible. The reworked FR3.5 seemed reasonable enough, though the driving was pretty awful, btu then the oval races with the DW12 was - about what you'd expect; wreckfest, and that car is crap on ovals especially and pretty dire on road as well, nowhere near up to 'current standards'. It was so bad I had to switch off the TV...

I didn't watch any of the FE races; sounded like those were wreckfests as well. I think actually it was better to get some additional tracks for that done just-in-time for TV events. But of course there was then the controversy with Mr Abt which probably undid some of the positive vibes that should have come with it.

The LeMans Virtual, I watched a lot more of it (both TV and Youtube/streamed) than I'd intended. The TV production and the fact that they had the real series guys doing most of the stewarding, made the quality of the race and coverage the best I've ever seen. A similar approach was taken by V8 Supercars, and that was superior to anything iRacing tried to manage themselves. So I think that's the trick for the future; the real series and TV partners have to manage the broadcast, and all the game dev needs to do is have someone whispering in the ear of the real series stewards for specific factors for the platform or sim racing vs real life. Outstanding event.

Having said which, there were some major issues in that event. Perhaps the analysis in this roadmap would have been better done in the Dev Videos. But I think, not all of the issues were of concurrency type. Quite a few are logical issues, such as the penalty problem for Alonso. I will also say the one glaring issue I saw was the quality of the car behavior, especially when he cars bounced over the kerbs; that was the main thing that broke the immersion. I think this basically makes use of the replay system; and that has bad issues. In particular, I see when you view the replay, it will often reverse in time or otherwise stutter and glitch. And thats just my own replay, never mind the issue that on a TV/stream you are watching a 'spectator' slot into the server, that the rendering has to rely on for data. There is already some sort of limited fidelity in the replay system. And, when you add to that issues with AI cars who have odd vehicle dynamics in some instances (over kerbs as well, mainly) then sometimes those replays are truly horrible. I've often thought there should be a second (or multiple) "shadow" servers, that have a single link with high priority to the race server, which would be used to perform all broadcast features. Sadly there still needs to be the 'spectator' sessions, because those will also supply team management, and that includes possible changing strategy options like tires/fuel at stops and suchlike. So one slot for the current driver, one for the next driver, one for the team manager are probably needed. Whilst it sounds like 208 slots is enough, that will limit the number of teams who can participate in any given event. Perhaps, sign-in to servers can have different roles and some might get reduced capabilities/fidelity?

As regards content, this issue of packs aren't going to go away. If I take FE, they've had Gen1 and now Gen2; and soon they'll get Gen3 cars. But tracks from \season\ to season will probably have some percentage repeating, maybe one or two new ones. So its not really feasible to do a pack of cars+tracks. If we take other series, like F1 or DTM, there's some change to cars each year and you would also be paying for the liveries. It's much more difficult to do this with prototypes, GTE, GT3, GT4 and TCR. Firstly, SRO license is with ACC so you'd have to find some non-aligned series to really license GT3/4. Since those have Evo cars sometimes (like the two Audis we have), they don't conform to years. GTE, WEC dropped Ford and BMW this year, but will add Corvette C8; but other cars are unchanged. I'd decided not to buy the Ferrari, but given how good LMV was, I caved and bought that and the Aston (not buying the prior pack) so I now have the full GTE field. Obviously S397 were hoping for some success for Hypercar, but its now clear that won't happen. We don't have DPi and IMSA have a partnership with iRacing. So that is going to be difficult. The new GT3 should be interesting; I predict the Lambo. The Lexus and Acura in American racing probably won't arrive. I do have to say those new GTEs with the latest BOP, might be the best sim cars I have ever driven. The F488 isn't right at LeMans, but everywhere else its awesome. Hopefully the GT3s get similar treatment. But I'm not sure where the expansion is in these classes; GT4 and TCR are next logical places to go, but that may take a while.

And all of the above is nice, but we still see the real content limitation: Tracks. Tracks. Tracks. Tracks. rF2 can't succeed with the limited number of modern tracks it has, and it can't rely on mod tracks and especially for "arrive and drive" online events for the masses. This needs a well thought out plan; and ideal topic for future roadmaps!

13. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

Does it not make sense to update the car in dev mode when updating the track? I would have thought so...

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

No, they're different entities so you can still use any car in DevMode when working on the track, therefore no need to update the car. Those documents and updates to cars will come in time, for now be glad the Track side of things is moving forward in this area :)

15. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Thanks for the update S397. Interesting insight into the coding, I always thought it would be a huge thing. Nice analogy with a novel, it makes it clear that if you introduce a character at the end of the book / program, like say a lighting change or puddles, you have to then make references to it all the way through so it fits in with all the other characters. Hopefully people will understand that you can't just make a change, even a small one, without a flow on effect.
    It's good to hear that you are making headway with some of the buggy things and the info about driver swaps should be useful for some of the end users.
    Well done and keep up the good work.
    I look forward to seeing which car you have in the wings.

pkelly likes this.
  16. qusimano

qusimano Registered

Try to use any car when building a kart track.. it's just a nightmare:D

Lazza and MarcG like this.
  17. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

I couldn't find any further reference here in the forums, so does anybody have a clue whatever happened to
    Summersale is almost over and I'm wondering how soon their solution would come and what it would look like?

18. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

I was just about to post something similar.

Just waiting to buy the rest of the GTE cars to complete my collection.

19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I wonder how many will later complain about the price of rF2 when they could have had it for less than 16 US Dollars. Hit the social media platforms folks, let'em know.

20. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

I recall being told people will tell 10 others about a bad experience and one other about a good experience.

Doesn’t seem fair but feels about right for social media and sim racing at times