Broadcast Overlay ERROR

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by JulianRRVGT, Jun 11, 2020.

1. JulianRRVGT

JulianRRVGT Registered

Hello,
    I would like use the new broadcast overlay of rFactor 2. If I open the spectator mode, this Javascript error message shows everytime. I also check the net.rfactor2.overlay archive in my install directory and all files are not changed.
    [​IMG]
    Today I saw this video on YouTube and it works also with the costum data from the config.json.

I hope you can help me!

Regards Julian from the RRVGT

2. Badboy

Badboy Registered

Download and extract THIS at the root of your rF2 folder.

3. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Hi, why changing the downloaded files and saving them is making no effect on the data shown? still showing your information, as if cacheed somwhere.

Romain Seignour likes this.
  4. JulianRRVGT

JulianRRVGT Registered

It works! Thank you very much!:)

Badboy likes this.
  5. JulianRRVGT

JulianRRVGT Registered

I copy the zip in my rFactor 2 istall folder and change the information in the config.json in the net.rfactor2.overlay.jar document. That works for me and the overlay shows the data of the config.json from net.rfactor2.overlay.jar.

6. Badboy

Badboy Registered

Not necessary to change the anythings in the .jar

In the "overlays-config.json" (in the player folder), you can change the name of the folder in the root of rF2 (original name=default)

overlays-config.json:
    {
    "customConfig": "your_Folder_Name",
    "clients": []
    }

In the "overlays" folder you rename the "default" folder with the name you put in the "overlays-config.json" and you can modify your config in the "config.json".

7. JulianRRVGT

JulianRRVGT Registered

Sometimes you have to change some code in the .jar files. You can see in the picture the blue, red and green line under the class name, that can only modify in the javascipt file. But the biggest part of the design, you can change it with the costum.css.
    I have another question, do you have experience with tab out of the rFactor window. If I do that, the fps will drop under 30fps in rFactor.

overlay rf2.JPG

Badboy likes this.
  8. lagg

lagg Registered

Change this two parameters in the player.json
    "Inactive Sleep Time":-1,
    "Pause If Focus Lost":false,

Badboy, JulianRRVGT and Corti like this.
  9. JulianRRVGT

JulianRRVGT Registered

Thank you! Now we can stream nice online races!

Badboy, Corti and lagg like this.
  10. JulianRRVGT

JulianRRVGT Registered

[​IMG]
    Hello guys!
    Here is the next problem with the broadcast overlay. In a qualifying session the standing does not show the interval or gap to the next driver or leader. It only shows the best time of the leader. I also reset the files in the rFactor folder and chose the default overlay, but there is the same problem. It also does not show, whether somebody is in the PIT during a session. If a race session runs, there are no problems. You can see it in my previous picture. Have somebody this problem too or a solution for that?
    Thank you for your help in advance!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Romain Seignour and Adam Helyes like this.
  11. Romain Seignour

Romain Seignour Registered

I don't know why is not showed inside my game i'm in spectator mode i hae assign a button for overlays

But is the same i have redownloaded the default overlay BUT NOTHING lol
    i don't know really thank you for your help

JulianRRVGT likes this.
  12. Shane Gilfeather

Shane Gilfeather Registered

Like Georgias i am trying to change the data but it just doesn't change the Overlay at all. I am editing the "Default" just so i can see some sort of change. This is very frustrating !!

I would like to change some parameters like colours and overlay positions. I even just try to change the text within the quotes ("") and it still doesn't budge.

Please help !!

TIA

13. JulianRRVGT

JulianRRVGT Registered

I tell you what I did. I created a folder in the rFactor 2 install folder with the name "overlays". In this folder you have to paste the unziped default.zip folder from the userguide( https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/broadcast-overlays ). You can use any name for the default folder, but you have to do one more thing before. You must create the "overlays-config.json" in the player folder at UserData. Then paste this into the .json:
    {
    "customConfig": "NameOfYourFolderInOverlays",
    "clients": [ ]
    }

Now it works! If you want to create your own design, you have to use the config.json and costum.css in your own design folder, that you created. For easy customizing you can start a offline session in rFactor 2 and open the overlay page in your browser. In the Firefox browser you press F12 to show what css affect on the overlay. Here an example what you can copy into the costum.css:
    .driver-pitting {
    color: #000000;
    }
    If you add or change something in the costum.css, you must refresh the overlay with the refresh button at the controlpanel site.
    I hope this will help you a little bit.

MaD_King, Corti and Badboy like this.
  14. Shane Gilfeather

Hi Julian,

Thank you for your response but i had already followed those steps to no avail.

I have tried it on 2 separate PC's and i get the same thing.

15. JulianRRVGT

JulianRRVGT Registered

[​IMG]
    Here is a structure about what I did. Afterthat you go to the spectate mode with the new UI in the steam beta. Maybe you have to check your firewall settings. Try to turn off your firewall and check, whether the overlay works.
    It is funny, that the overlay works for a few people with all functions like replay, deltas, etc..
    At this channel it works really good.

Petethepawn, MaD_King and Corti like this.
  16. Shane Gilfeather

\
    Yep That is how my file structure looks like as well. I have already opened up all the ports. Even 5397.

One thing is that i am using the old UI. Then i go into a session (single player) and just try to watch the other drivers. The Delta works when i select it but i dont see any changes made even after hitting the "Reset Overlay" button.

Does this only work with the new UI ?

If anyone would like to be commissioned to do a simple Overlay then please send me a DM.

17. lagg

lagg Registered

The overlay only works in the new UI

18. Shane Gilfeather

Great !!! Thank you

Watch me now !!

19. Romain Seignour

Romain Seignour Registered

Hello ,
    Why is just showing one time off sessions in qualif we need to have all time sessions in tower do you have find ?
    Thx all ^^

Wanderpoole likes this.
  20. Steffan miles

Steffan miles Registered

can someone help me a little in custom ccs for the overlays thank you in advance.