SOLVED rfactor 2 video settings not opening from launcher

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Paulus_NL, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Paulus_NL

Paulus_NL Registered

So i had the issue that i couldn't open the video settings anymore via the launcher.
    Today i uninstalled rF2 and removed all files that were left.
    After that i did a complete clean install of the game. So no mods, skins etc.
    No Beta UI.

But still the video settings won't open from the launcher.
    In bin32 is a rF Config.exe (not in the bin64 folder..) but when i open it i get "failed to load advancedeffects file".

Already tried and runned the files inside the support folder. But no luck.
    Why arent the video settings working anymore or what can i try next?

In the past i had no issues with it.

2. Paulus_NL

Paulus_NL Registered

After whole day debugging and trying i found the issue. See below if you encounter the same issues:

When you have MSI afterburner running you also get RiviaTurner.
    If the setting "Stealth Mode" is enabled in RiviaTurner, the videosettings won't show up.

If disabled it works again :)

marmagas, Goanna and Lazza like this.
  3. corsa

corsa Registered

I'm having the same problem, haven't been able to open Video Settings for months. I don't have MSI Afterburner installed, nor Rivia Tuner. I've tried clean re-install of rF2, nothing works.

But since Afterburn/Rivia seemed the problem for you, I wonder if it is something similar for me, like some nvidia setting or something?

4. corsa

corsa Registered

Update: I fixed it! I found that when I tried to run it directly, it gave an error about a .dll missing. Googled around and found I should try to reinstall DirectX. Downloaded it from Microsoft's website, reinstalled, and it fixed it! Thanks to your post, it prompted me to dig deeper.

Paulus_NL likes this.
  5. Diannastrickland

Diannastrickland Registered

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  6. Jeremy Mook

Jeremy Mook Registered

Hi, think I might have solved this error. Looks like a mismatch between Windows monitor Resolution/Hertz settings, and the actual in game resolution and hertz settings.
    After I changed my triple monitors setup with some newer screens, thats were the trouble started..on my PC, windows10 said 5040x1050 at 60hz suddenly, instead of the ingame 3840x1050 at 75Hz settings I ran before..this you might try:

First run "check files integrity" through Steam on Rfactor(this may take a while), than after the integrity check is done, and you first launch the game again, the game asks to run Rfactor(don't choose this!), or to run graphics setup tool(or something like that..Im on a dutch computer) Run the Rfactor graphics tool, then a window pops up where you can change all sorts of in game graphics settings.

Than manually change rFactor craphics settings etc. to match the Windows given monitor settings.

After thats done, the game should start up like normal. Hope this helps!

Greets!