A couple of small but frustrating adjustments (mirror reflection size and refresh rate)

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by likes_simracing, Jun 16, 2020.

1. likes_simracing

likes_simracing Registered

Help please because I have already spent a long time and still can't get to a good result.

What settings should I use to make the mirrors look realistic?

I have been tweaking the rearview width and height for a good hour or more, but can't get it to look correct. It is almost always squashed. Also, is there a way to try a setting without exiting the game? I tried restarting a game on monitor, no go. It overwrites the JSON. Also tried going back to the main menu, still overwrite. It seems the only way was to actually exit the game back to the launcher. This is very annoying because loading rF2 takes a long time, then loading the track another long time, only to see a bad result for a trial setting.

Also, why is my refresh rate reverting to 50fps on the game video res menu? I apply changes to make it 60fps, it saves, but when I go back, it is 50fps again. From a suggested solution on this thread and elsewhere, I checked the launcher and my config there is correctly saved as 60fps. Don't know what else to check.

Thanks.

2. lagg

lagg Registered

You'll loose every change made in any json file with the rF2 opened. Then you have to close the rF2 everytime.
    Squashed means distorted? (language barrier, sorry). If it's distorted could depend on the car. Is the same with different cars?
    Some time ago, a friend of mine had a similar problem to yours. He changed the graphics config, but it remained unchanged.
    Finally he had to uninstall rF2, delete all the files and install again, but this is very extreme.
    I'd try to check the integrity of the files first.
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

likes_simracing likes this.
  3. likes_simracing

Thank you for the tip.

I reverted to my old JSON settings and loaded two different mods. The F1 1979 looks fine, but the Skippy looks distorted/flattened. I'll just forget about the mirrors. It seems like there is no one settings that solves all.

Haven't check the graphics config integrity yet but if it does not work, I suppose I can live with 50fps (or it might already be 60fps under the hood but showing as 50 on the UI!).

4. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Bind 4 keys for seat adjustment, up and down and for and aft. Use these seat adjustment keys plus SHIFT to adjust position for height and side position as in a real car. Use your seat adjustment keys plus SHIFT and CTRL to adjust angle of view for height and width, this will adjust the squashed appearance. The settings will be saved for that car but not for every skin of that car, this does vary from car to car. There is no need to adjust anything in the json file. Not every car is the same so adjustment will be necessary for each car. Doesn't take long once you get the hang of it. Hope this may be of help to you.

5. likes_simracing

Thanks, @Highlandwalker.

I have those assigned and any combination of CTRL, SHIFT, ALT (including simultaneous combo presses) plus the seat keys only moves the mirror or the mirror image in some way, but the entire car aspect ratio remains wrong. So while I can make the car look smaller or larger to make it appear at a realistic reflection size, the aspect ratio is still weird. For the Skippy, the tires are small but very wide, instead of tall and slender. Same with the car width/height. It looks stretched out (or squashed down). But thanks anyhow.

I used to adjust the PLR on rFactor1 to make these aspect ratio changes, so I figured it would have similar effects here, just in a JSON format.

6. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

refresh rate: just ignore, bug, i think thats not used anymore
    mirrors: would be helpful to see a screenshot of your problem (and which mod you are using)
    and your specs, as always
    I assume you read this already ? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1438005121

as an ugly workaround to check that your user configs aren't broken, just rename the whole user folder, let steam check file integrity and test again with defaults.

7. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Please upload a screenshot and tell us which car it is that you use, that we can compare how it looks for us.
    Sometimes it is the mapping of the cars mirrors, which can not be corrected by any settings in game.
    The mirrors have to be mapped properly then.

8. Highlandwalker

I assuming you are talking about virtual mirrors. I've just installed the skippy, both the ISI and SMC versions. I got the mirrors to look near right on both cars using the keys I suggested. Screen shots of both versions. You need to hold down shift and ctrl while using seat adjust keys, just in case you haven't realised.
    ISI version.
    GRAB_3498.JPG
    SMC version.
    GRAB_3499.JPG

9. likes_simracing

Gents, thank you very much for your patience and help. I really appreciate this community. Very helpful, even with something otherwise small. I was ready to give up. :) Also, sorry for the late reply. I could only test things today.

I tried to capture all my squashed images before fixing anything so I have a record to paste here, under all key combos (shift, alt, ctrl, and all combinations, along with the seat/mirror movement keys). Then I checked the integrity of my files. Turns out, I have a few files that needed correction.

I recently synch so I did not think I was out of synch, but after seeing that it downloaded new files, I decided to check the mirrors again. Viola! Everything now looks like what you have.

Talk about much ado about nothing. Thank you anyhow. Now I'm back to racing this little twitchy car...

Bernd likes this.
  10. likes_simracing

Btw, @Highlandwalker, what is the SMC version? I only know of the ISI from Steam. Is this a paid mod? Thanks again.

11. Highlandwalker

I'm sorry a bit of misinformation about the SMC version, it's just a skin pack. I saw it on Steam and thought it was another version and thanks for introducing me to the skippy I hadn't bothered with it before. Really fun car to drive especially on small tight tracks. Glad you got sorted and it's worth checking integrity very so often.
    P.S. I see lot of posts about editing the json file to correct things when a lot times it unnecessary and people make hard work of getting rF2 to run good. I have never really had many problems running rf2 and I've been using it since 2016.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  12. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

If you want to see further back in the rearview mirror, if I remember corretly, you can change the "Rearview_Back_Clip" to zero in the player.json.
    like:
    "Rearview_Back_Clip":0,

It had annoyed me for a while until I found this fix somewhere in this forum, dont remember where.

13. Highlandwalker

Just checked my player.json "Rearview_Back_Clip" is 0 which is default value.

14. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

15. likes_simracing

Thanks both. Yeah probably combo effect, or Cull overrides the Clip value.