Latest news - 24 hours of Le Mans Virtual

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Deleted member 24698, May 15, 2020.

1. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Now with the race over and all the praise I think it's also important to point out what was really missing, atleast from my POV to make it the perfect virtual Le Mans experience.
    • dirt build up on cars (sounds like a gimmick but it's a must have for Le Mans)
    • more buisy pitlanes (few dudes with a wheel gun per wheel should be doable and rather easy to implement, maybe also more people on the pit walls; there are mods with lots of people on the pitwall, why not here? Why not some pitboards?)
    • options to flash the lights
    • improvements on the rule system to give automatic penalties for overtaking under yellow
    • ambient effects (wind, fog, temps, better cloudsystem, - why no rain?)
    • improved visual damage with more parts comming off
    • improved physical damage when abusing curbs (tire damage and punctures, suspension damage)
    • better pit management system that doesn't assign pitboxes randomly, maybe with team specific pit boxes (it was hilirious seeing Alonso panicking and going back and forth in the pits :D)

2. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I dont think pits were assigned randomly
    Alonso going back and forth was due to the penalty he got while in pit lane, he had no fuel to do one more lap
    rF2 rain needs some deep rework, I'm glad it wasn't used in this event. In the average Joe league is fine but putting real life drivers to deal with what we have I think would be a negative PR
    Damage and pit crew, definitely needs to be used. Some of those crashes would be spetacular with proper damage and could lead to real Code 80 or FCY calls, etc
    simracing has alot to evolve to actually simulate a race... this is sad

3. lagg

lagg Registered

This already exists, but it has to be configured perfectly, and it's tedious.

4. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Interesting few things on there. I will elaborate on this a little.

Dirt build up would be lowest priority for me ATM. Cool to have and would add to the experience, but there are more important things needed atm.

Busier pitlanes, I am not sure. It would look better, but there is already trouble with busy pit lanes with cars having to back up because the car in front is standing at an angle because they had to go around that car to get in. What would have to happen is a having to be straight in the pit stall before getting worked on. This means, if you come in at an angle, pit crew has to straighten the car first before they can work on it (just like IRL). Only then I can see a busy pitlane working.

Options to flash light, there is a plugin for that, but it should be in there by default indeed.

Automatic penalties don't work. Just look at the codemasters F1. It gives wrong penalties so often, it's useless in serious racing.

Temps etc should have effect on the tires, this is a well known missing feature, but also the tires itself need to be better so medium and hard tires actually are useful. I think real weather should also be a default option, not a plugin.

Damage, visual would be great, but not as important as the actual damage. How many went into the wall at car killing speeds, and continued on without problem, was insane. Hartley should've been pretty much out of the race, or at least in the pits for a long time with that shunt into the wall at indy. It should've been hard to get back to the pits at least. Kerbs should definitely 'wear' parts out, definitely the sausage kerb. LFS had a system back in the day for the dampers that could break for example. That could also exist for toe rods etc.

The Alonso thing was not due to the assigning pit boxes. The whole race you have the same pit box already. The thing was, was that he got a penalty pretty late, and he didn't change in the pit menu that he wanted to make a pit stop rather than a stop and go. This could indeed be improved, that with fuel under a certain level, it prefers a pit stop over a penalty.

5. lagg

lagg Registered

If automatic penalties don't work is because are not well implemented.
    I wouldn't say that to penalize an illegal action is useless.

6. There were no random pitboxes, just to be clear. the pitboxes have been set (iirc) in a week advance and everyone would have known where to pit.
    At least i did those pitgroups a good while before the race.

7. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I stand corrected on that part then. Wich brings me to the question why there aren't any team specific pit boxes as in the 1988 mod from Carrera? When you drive a Ferrari you start in a Ferrari box or did I miss that somehow? I know we had that discussion before so I don't want to go too deep into the topic, I think it would just be nice and add something if that worked by default without having to dive into files. The list above is also by no means a priority based list. It's just something that came to my mind and what I've gathered from comments from the broadcast and what I have seen in mods and other games. The ARS cars have static pit crews that pop up once the car is in the box for example, or the busy guys on the pit walls and photographers on the Bahrain mod track. I think there is quite a bit of stuff that could be done to fill the ghost town of a pit lane that some of the tracks are right now with the tools allready in place.

For me stuff like that would be the icing on the cake though and physics based stuff would have the clear priority. I know there is only so much stuff you can do, but let's see where this sim stands in one year. I wouldn't have expected an event like this a few months ago.

8. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

AFAIK in the All-Star races the damage multiplier was set to 25%. I wonder if it was the case in Le Mans.

9. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Jimmi, organize a VLN race (or 6/12 hours) with the most diverse official content, 100 slots, open for all, a monster track, lots of differents cars and the community around the world with nasty pings, bad connections, driver changes, etc. The worst scenario possible, if can fix that, will not have problems with other types of competitions ever again
    I think it will be fun for the community to help for solve the problem in the endurance races with drivers changes, lots of connections, and so on.
    :)

10. This might happen yeah, but last few months have been crazy and we had to focus on certain aspects. We are not there yet, but we are pushing.

Dookie, ThomasJohansen, Emery and 3 others like this.
  11. I do agree that a pitcrew would be super awesome to have. But static not really

The current cars are set up to not mess with pitboxes in a specific track, this could cause issues on other tracks and if it is included with other cars. So game will sort them automatically - not ideal no. But there is no other way right now.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I understand why people don't like the idea of static pitcrews, but if you do some races with them it really sucks to go without. Of course I mean pitcrews that are matched to each team, with suits that match and all that. It's also more natural to come to a stop when driving, easier to judge than the arrow/rectangle. It also looks better than cars stopping in an empty pitlane, despite being static. Of course having static crews for all different types of series and mods would be a lot of work in itself, but for big events something suitable would be good.

13. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

A lollipop man would be great though in team colours. It would be better visible than that red arrow box thing

ThomasJohansen, t0p5ecret and Hazi like this.
  14. DavidG

DavidG Registered

I don’t know whether I just missed it due to his accent, but I didn’t hear the race organiser thank Studio 397 in his speech at the end of the broadcast. If he didn't, then this is either a very embarrassing mistake, or a deliberate snub to Marcel & co. If the latter, then does this suggest a major falling out between the two parties (or was he just pissed at the server and connection issues encountered during the race, particularly those affecting his star drivers)? This might account for the total absence of rFactor 2 logos on the broadcast and the WEC or Le Mans website, indeed there is very little mention of the game at all on either site. Surely Studio 397 should have been an official partner for the event. And why wasn’t Marcel interviewed at sometime during the broadcast (maybe he was, I didn’t watch every minute)? Shouldn’t talking to the team behind the platform on which the event was being run have been a priority for the broadcaster? It feels as if Studio 397 and rFactor 2 have been ‘painted out’ of the event by the organisers.

Personally, I thought the race was superb and a genuinely enjoyable watch, even discounting the sim-racing perspective. The issues were unfortunate, but didn’t in the end spoil the enjoyment; you could even say that they added to the excitement at the finish. I fear though, that the problems will be the major headline for many, and that rF2 may not come out of this well (Max and Lando’s childish petulance may have done more harm than all the good generated by the race itself). What was a great opportunity to spread the rF2 word, may well have been lost. Even the post-race announcement from Studio 397 feels muted, almost apologetic, to me. Michelin on the other hand, seem to trying to make the most of their involvement in the race. I’m sure sim-racing will benefit from this event, but will rFactor 2?

I think the driving experience in rF2 is brilliant, it’s my clear favourite sim. Studio 397 have done a great job in that respect over the last few years. But they need to start fixing the other stuff, to improve the ‘gaming’ experience. I also feel that it’s a great shame that they haven’t released a stripped down ‘Endurance/Le Mans’ edition of the game to coincide with the event (or at least offered the endurance cars and Le Mans together in a single pack, at a special offer price), to make it easier for anyone inspired by what they saw, to emulate the race in their own homes.

Two other things that stood out for me watching the race, are that the game needs the facility to set limits on the number of tyres used (I think AMS1 might be the only sim with this feature at present) and Le Mans does work with LMP2 as the top class.

15. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

You can have a (static) visible pit crew in RF2 to show you where to box.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  16. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

How? Is it a player.json thing or a modder thing?

17. Bernd

Bernd Registered

A modder thing.
    Aren't the slow motion modding group mods some of your favorite ones, as you have said in other threads?
    Some of them have own pit guys.

DrivingFast and The Iron Wolf like this.
  18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's a mod thing.

@DavidG I think you need to back down on your conclusions a bit, especially if you didn't watch the whole thing.

There are way too many experts making too many assumptions, but that seems to be the way of the internet.

McKiernan likes this.
  19. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I drool a lot, it's one of my faults hi hi :)

20. Travis

Travis Registered

Excellent list; I'll add better reflections to the list of upgrades. The current reflections appear to update at 20fps and ruin the excellent graphical upgrades rF2. It was very evident & jarring during the Le Mans race on-board cameras too.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Davvid and Bernd like this.