Latest news - 24 hours of Le Mans Virtual

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Deleted member 24698, May 15, 2020.

1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

The event was a lovely showcase of what sim racing can be like. Even the cringey moments like the start were somewhat adorable, even with pretending it to be something it isn't in this moment.
    It was a great show, viewing the main stream and also the Mahle Boys.
    Regarding this:
    These are issues caused by "wrong" use of the program, but isn't there a possibility to improve the programs usability in this department, because other foundations also don't suffer of these occurences...

In terms of showcasing rF2 funcionallity itself, the Le Mans main stream was almost a bit too good...

Seven Smiles likes this.
  2. Ian-C

Ian-C Registered

Excellent event, well organised and great coverage. Yes problems happened but they had anticipated it and had procedures in place to deal with them.

Alonso had an unfortunate incident where the penalty was issued while he was already in the pit lane, I don't know if he could have even used the driver panel to change from serve penalty to pit for fuel by that time but they did rectify the situation but yes it would have been better if it had not happened.

As far as Max goes, my impression of him has gone down immensely I think the next time he sim races the should give him a F1 Pram so he can throw his toys out while he is driving round. Developers watch out if Max is in a race on you're platform and he has an issue you too could face the negativity associated with him having a tantrum.

All in all i think it was an historic event and will probably change racing forever, bringing sim racing to a wider audience and dispelling the it's not real claims. We can now all agree maybe the cars and track are not real but the racing sure as hell is.

Aceking, The Great Apt, sg333 and 6 others like this.
  3. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Absolutely! I have also fallen foul of the pit menu :mad: One obvious, real life, answer is to give control of the pit menu to another team member - or for someone racing on their own, to a program - you could call it Crew Chief ;)

rFactor also needs work on the "god mode" so the admin can step in and fix things - clear the penalty, fill with fuel, whatever so the driver can continue; if a driver is wrecked by a glitch then resurrect them in the pits; if their internet goes down or there's a similar catastrophic failure then resurrect them in the pits some time later and add at least some missing laps; and finally I know the Robert Wickens thing was a corner case but it would be good to have an instantaneous driver substitution (though I imagine that might cause a bit of difficulty for S397 programmers!)

atomed and Comante like this.
  4. Godwind Racing

Godwind Racing Registered

Every time anything happens with sim racing esport, he must sit behind his SMS sponsored car and do a furious w'k, w'k harder if that tourney is iRacing, like he just met a p'n star or even harder when some sim racer do a driver's tuitition on iRacing

Can't take this loser seriously at all - not when we have to hear his recycled comments he spins over and over to boredom over the most trivial of errors. Plus we hear he about wanting sims to be better than it is but we never hear him trash his bosses at SMS and Project Cars (and didn't Ian Bell tweet one of his video recently of him playing PC3) - in fact he is as taken seriously as some of these gamer "sim racer" influencers, one of these guys who play certain games only if they canbe guaranteed x number of views - when is iRacing is going to hit this dork with a liebel suit? All this shows this guy has zero balls.

atomed and coltair like this.
  5. RNeves

RNeves Registered

Now might be a good time for a Steam sale! A nice incentive for a good income of new players.

Or something like the offer of some GTE cars for those who buy RF2 right now.

S397 needs a marketing department

DavidG likes this.
  6. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

Unfortunately this promotion's come early. rF2 is still in "Early Access" state, and it's not a single player nor a multiplayer "game". So if someone buys it right now, after this huge event, they might be so disappointed, they never use it again or recommend it to someone else.
    But that's life. That was an enormous opportunity to take, and it was taken well...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    AlanK and CrimsonEminence like this.
  7. Juan Hevia

Juan Hevia Registered

Well, the event has been something great and historic and the message is clear to Max, Lando and Fernando: Try not to have incidents, drive better.
    Everithing can happen after a crash, same in virtual than in reality, if you drive to the limits you have to be ready for bad results. Sometimes you are lucky, sometimes not.

atomed likes this.
  8. Siri

Siri Registered

I think the event was overall a great success and did a lot for simracing and S397 - congrats! Sure there were glitches, but the near-term potential for simracing is undeniable.

I heard some of the complaining from the real-world drivers. Of course it’s understandable - even the best rigs can’t touch the experience of handling a real racecar, and sitting at home they get none of the glory or attention from hordes of young, attractive fans (I heard mention from one interviewee that he misses the parties). But they forget one fundamental fact: Motorsport doesn’t exist for the enjoyment of the drivers (unless your dad is a billionaire and owns the team I suppose). I don’t think the manufacturers and sponsors care how much fun the driver is having, on the other hand they are starting to understand that from a spectator enjoyment standpoint (on tv) simracing really can work. The beancounters will be sure to point out how much money can be saved by mixing up virtual and real-world racing, and I’m quite certain that their calculation won’t factor in the inability of the drivers to get laid.

Sorry for the sharp comments but I found the real-world driver attitudes often immature and lacking perspective. Congrats again to S397. Long-time RF2 fan here (and forum lurker).

AlanK, Remco Majoor, pkelly and 2 others like this.
  9. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Congrats to S397 - what an achievement and opportunity this has been for RF2. I truly hope this will give RF2 a big boost forward so the devs can start taking some giant steps toward giving this sim a better form of identity / shape of a finished and well functioning product.

AlanK and atomed like this.
  10. gt911

gt911 Registered

I do not agree with you.
    I play Rf2 solo and I have fun with it, for me it is the only one that makes me want to drive many hours in front of my screens with real pleasure.
    I use the GTE and GT3 a lot, the latest being the Ferrari-488gte of S397 I find it magnificent and some circuits are very good.
    The feeling with a steering wheel is what allows me to really believe it.
    If Rf2 did not exist anymore I will abandon the simu cars because the others in what concerns me are not interesting and were all uninstalled certain after a few hours or like Assetto Corsa after 800 hours just before knowing S397 and there it was the trigger.
    I still bought ACC when it came out,Steam told me that I have 25 hours on it, I would say less than 10 hours but I will uninstall it this week because I am only a 1080ti which is not enough for graphics clean, moreover, it does not recognize the left stick of my Fanatec.

11. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

Yeah, I can relate to that. I play rF2 and only rF2 quite a lot. But we are not avarege users, but the hardcore. All of us in this forum, I guess. I personally don't need any structure, I don't even race. I just drive around, and enjoy all the greatness of rF2's physics engine and FFB. But I'm old with less time. rF2 should "buy" the young, who want to play.

Dady Cairo, Lazza, LeStrat and 3 others like this.
  12. gt911

gt911 Registered

I too am old, but I am young in my head.

pkelly, Balazs Magyar and atomed like this.
  13. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Oil, in Rfactor 2, is that actually a thing?

14. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Just oil temperature

15. Emery

Emery Registered

The level of driving and the quality of the broadcast were amazing. A little too much attention given to the Prototypes over the GTE cars, but the rest of the broadcast was great. The experienced pro drivers knew how to have a good time (Montoya) and project the right image.

rF2 user interface and occasional glitches (Le Clerc's rollover!) are annoying. I think a telecast of this level needs to get a minimum level of equipment to the participants as, for instance, Katherine Legge's setup left a lot of be desired. At least a CPU/GPU combination that's suitable for weather to be applied.

McKiernan and pkelly like this.
  16. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Emmanuele Pirro won a race in a camping chair. :p

Remco Majoor, memoNo1 and Emery like this.
  17. Comante

Comante Registered

And with a G27 :D

memoNo1, pkelly and Emery like this.
  18. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

What happened to Leclerc? That roll was a bug? Never seen it before

Adam Helyes likes this.
  19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Rick Kelly also started the Supercars eseries in a camping chair and raced on a small monitor, ended up with a full on Rig with Triples and cockpit. Quite amazing stuff, plenty of videos on his YouTube channel about the progress of building it throughout the series, he's since put it up for sale!

20. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

He had a massive lag spike and was warned by race control about it I believe something over 1000 ms.