Latest news - 24 hours of Le Mans Virtual

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Deleted member 24698, May 15, 2020.

1. JuanP006

JuanP006 Registered

What an amazing event. I was not expecting it to be so good. We had the real LeMans commentators and officials running the show. And I was watching on TV and it looked pretty good to the real deal. We all should be very happy with what just happened, our sport and rF2 just got an unbelievable amount of exposure and things will get better for sure. This one was the first or many to come. Even the red flags were handled in a very professional manner, and for the normal viewer it was like when SC comes out due to a big crash. S397 and everyone involved did an amazing job under what I can imagine was a lot of pressure to make sure it run flawlessly, it did not, but I do not think events of this magnitude ever do.
    Well done everyone!!!

2. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Awesome achievement. I know the difficulties of an event like this with so many players connected and everything running on real-time with very little margin for error. It looked fantastic and the issues weren't bigger than the ones anyone would get organizing such a huge event, specially for the first time at this scale. Congratulations!

I hope rF2 keeps improving and there're many more races like this one in the future. Hint: Linux is very reliable and porting to it would probably take the reliability and performance to another level. ;)

Juan Hevia, Mark Lloyd and atomed like this.
  3. Javibeza

Javibeza Registered

Somehow I got very very proud of rfactor2 this weekend and despite all the inconveniences I am also very proud of your work. There will be always things to improve and bugs to patch, but with s397's work I feel rfactor2 is on the best hands.
    All I can say is a big THANK YOU to all the staff. This weekend would never be possible in other times of this sim. Development is going, community is listened, and I'm sure all your efforts will bring us the best racing simulator (I think it already is in most aspects). There is a long long race to the end. Vamos!

4. MrMadlo

MrMadlo Registered

Wife says to me late last night during the final hours of the race.....wait so your telling me this stupid race (she's not a fan of Motorsport nor my silly sim rig thingy downstairs) we're watching isn't real? She thought the realism was amazing.

Well done guys at S397, great event.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

On balance a great event and showcased rF2. Good future by the looks.

Now, among the downsides: the interest it's generated will bring an influx of new users, who all read they only need a potato to play it (according to steam) and will either dismiss the game as even buggier than it really is (because of startup errors/crashes) or make their way here for support only to find out they need to refund it or get a new pc.

Can the steam description be edited? One day?

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

we've already had a user or two thinking they could run Le Mans with a 5 yr laptop...Please S397 update the minimum specs.

Emery, Adam Helyes and yashiman like this.
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The last one I replied to has a 2007 GPU and a 2008 CPU :eek:

Binny likes this.
  8. zxd1997

zxd1997 Registered

Despite some problems and two red flags, the race itself is a very amazing one. Beautiful graphic, wonderful battle for podium both LMP and GTE, pro broadcast team, real drivers having fun (not all of them, poor Fernando, Max, Lando).
    But as mentioned, all the problems need to be sort out in the future to make rF2 can hold such big event in the future. Hope to have it annual and yes, 24h Nur or Spa and so on, as some special event.
    PS: It's a shame that some big problems only happened to famous drivers, bad for PR because their fanbase (poor lando uninstall it and Max "fxxxk off"), then for those esports drivers or not so famous drivers, the problems still matters but won't have such big negative effect LOL.
    Hope we players can get the BoPed GTE pack and Le Mans 2020 soon. Oops, the Porsche is a little too fast and Ferrari is slower then others, but BoP seems worked.
    Finally, congratulation for this historical event! But don't forget to keep up with the pace of solving problems

9. Taris Henrique

Taris Henrique Registered

10. Pavel Tcholakov

Pavel Tcholakov Registered

Great work, glitches or not it made for a super exciting race! The pro live coverage was of course a big factor but what a historic moment for sim racing.

New lighting looks unbelievably good, I reckon for the average viewer the graphical updates made a lot sense for the team to invest in. More visible damage next? Hope you’re able to iron out the bugs that frustrated drivers!

11. Type88B

Type88B Registered

Great race and great entertainment with commentary, interviews and DJ set to complete a very well organized event.
    Well done to everyone and, above all, well done Studio 397!

Aceking, Juan Hevia and atomed like this.
  12. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Go for 24 Hours Nordschleife S397 guys
    also include the BMW clubsport M2 and GT3

Go go go go ................

13. yashiman

yashiman Registered

The LeMans Race was very exciteing and interesting!
    I had a great time for 24 hours.

Certainly, rF2 has Some isses. But there was no problem for most of the drivers as far as I watch.
    Some prodrivers speached... its disappointment unfathomable (specially Alonso was bad luck).
    However, about Leclerc and Noris that I think theirs PC's issue. (especially Charles, he should buy new pc)
    Maxs surroundings is unknown, but his words like a whine child by losed video game.
    We should not be misled by their words and continue to evolve.

Anyway, congratulations Studio 397!
    Please keep your great work!

14. Connor

Connor Registered

Congrats to the Champions to Studio 397 & All who got to take part .( yes there was some problems But LeMans has stoppages as well ) its a pity For #20 Team Redline & # 52 FERRARI - AF CORSE # 52 / #14 FA/RB ALLINSPORTS .. If people are complaining and crying about rf2 / studio 397 .. then they need to talk to racing teams of the real world; Toyota and the likes who went all the way just to fail at the last minute.. hence the use of expressions like " c'est la vie " & a few I couldn't repeat here but are universally used. ;)
    Well done to IDEC & fantastic that they give Michi Hoyer a well deserved invite to the real thing :) good man Michi.
    Thanks to rf2 Charles Leclerc has now had his eyes opened for the Real Le Mans.. maybe with Ferrari now returning ? (fingers Crossed) if so Studio 397 can be proud of this fact & in general; what they do and continue to do. Like race teams and drivers all around the planet bidding for success be it real or sim they are on track looking to improve to be at the front & Studio 397 you can bet is no exception. So Fairplay & Thank You all for putting on this Great Show for which my eyes are still red , sore & light sensitive LOL.
    Go raibh maith agat ( thank you in Irish ;) )

Juan Hevia and atomed like this.
  15. Bernd

Bernd Registered

From my point of view, these 24 H of Le Mans have been a great event!
    And i can only agree with the statements of the race drivers and other people that have been interviewed.
    If you did not know that it was a simulated virtual race, you easily could think "damn, i missed the announcement that the (real) 24 H of Le Mans is happening yet".
    Thumbs up S397!

Aceking, atomed, U. Daniel and 4 others like this.
  16. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

Le Mans looked amazing, especially the lighting.
    Do we know if the version of the track they used had the lighting improvements that were mentioned in the latest Roadmap post, and when this will be updated ?

atomed likes this.
  17. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

+1 on all the congratulations but one thing that did entirely wreck the illusion I was watching a real race was the unrealistic way the cars bounced over the kerbs of the chicane into the S/F straight :confused:

Balazs Magyar likes this.
  18. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

This is a really difficult one, because it is basically a quirk of the ISImotor engine in multiplayer, since it existed. I personally think, AMS makes it look the most natural of all the sims, using this ISI engine foundation and even there, it can look pretty weird over strong bumps. I think it's the way it works, how the system predicts the movement of the object.

Smoothing this must be very hard, because everything you see as an user, spectating and even driving in the session has to be foreseen in a way by the game due to slight delay between the computer of the driver and the information, that has been sent to your screen. So less ping and more stable connection can benefit the whole deal, but in a field of more than 50 cars it always will be hard, even for the best mp systems.

This is also the reason, why collision detection is so inconsistent between many titles.

atomed and Seven Smiles like this.
  19. Mauro

Mauro Registered

atomed and ThomasJohansen like this.
  20. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Verstappen has his problem, Leclerc had high ping issues, Alonso didn’t deselect his penalty and ran out of fuel while the Priaulxs fell victim to their Guernsey internet. Then there’s Lando who seems to have issues with every piece of software he runs.

so five or six drivers out of a field of 200 had a problem, only one of which caused a terminal issue. Can’t really say that the event is a failure. Two red flags as a precautionary measure is better than cancelling the whole thing like last year. But because the Max car had a problem it gets amplified as he’s got the biggest fanbase.

Do the issues need fixing? Well, yeah. But for only that few people to suffer isn't too bad, all things considered. Like I say, it's made to look worse than it actually is because it was Max/Lando/Redline.If it had been the car that had Katherine Legge/Tata Calderon etc in I doubt anyone would have cared.

but I hear too many people were staying in spectator mode when they left the car which didn’t help. Plus in the 2015 real race the safety car was out for 45mins or something ridiculous like that to clear oil off the Mulsanne.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020