rFactor 2 causes my PC to reboot after entering a track

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Art_Pereira, May 14, 2020.

1. Art_Pereira

Art_Pereira Registered

Hi guys,
    Sorry to post this here, but it seems I can´t post at the Support forum.

About a month ago I had to reinstall Windows 10. I did the same with Steam and rFactor 2. However, I´ve been having a problem with rFactor: when I click on "Race" it loads the track (any track) and my PC reboots when rFactor finish to load the track. I can barely see the screen we see when we enter a track, but righ then my PC reboots.
    I tried reinstalling Steam and rFactor 2 several times, but with the same result. I only load S397 cars and tracks to get better results but this didn´t solve the problem.
    Any help will be very much appreciated.

My PC:
    Windows 10 Pro 64.bit
    Intel Core i7-4790
    8GB RAM
    Graphics Card Nvidia GForce 760 at 1920x1080
    Driver version: Nvidia 445.87
    Trace file attached.

Attached Files:

2. Comante

Comante Registered

Do you experience this problem only with RF2 ?
    In the trace file there seems to be a problem with MID-OHIO (a track I love) have you installed it?
    Anyway, to force a reboot I fear the problem is "low level". Have you checked the power output of your power supply? Have you checked if all the fans are operative? Have you checked if dust clog heat sinks?
    My theory is that loading a track in RF2 on your not so new GPU fill the 2GB memory, this put the GPU in 100% load, drawing too much power for your power supply, or overheating it. Try to reduce graphic detail (expecially texture) to a minimum.
    Why have you had to reinstall windows ? Have you changed some hardware component? Can those changes or some software you use increased you power usage? Have you overclocked your GPU card? Messed with voltages and power in the driver?

3. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@Art_Pereira Please upload a trace file when you load a S397 track and car (not Nordschleife ;)).
    As @Comante has said, there is a problem with a mid ohio track in the uploaded trace (you have more than 1 version of mid ohio installed, i guess), that maybe could cause a reboot too.

4. Art_Pereira

Art_Pereira Registered

Here goes a new trace file using the S397 Corvette and Brianza.

Attached Files:

5. Art_Pereira

Art_Pereira Registered

About Comante questions:

Do you experience this problem only with RF2 ?
    Yes, it´s the only simulator I use with Steam. I have also Dirt Rally 2.0 but it is not installed.

In the trace file there seems to be a problem with MID-OHIO (a track I love) have you installed it?
    No, it has been installed from the Workshop automatically.

Anyway, to force a reboot I fear the problem is "low level". Have you checked the power output of your power supply? Have you checked if all the fans are operative? Have you checked if dust clog heat sinks?
    I only checked the graphics card temp and it´s about 55/58C all the time. The computer has been fully cleaned by technicians about 3 months ago and has been in use the last 2 months only.

My theory is that loading a track in RF2 on your not so new GPU fill the 2GB memory, this put the GPU in 100% load, drawing too much power for your power supply, or overheating it. Try to reduce graphic detail (expecially texture) to a minimum.
    Ok. I will try that later.

Why have you had to reinstall windows ?
    Because I installed a SSD driver to use as C:

Have you changed some hardware component?
    No. Only added the SSD.

Can those changes or some software you use increased you power usage?
    Not that I know.

Have you overclocked your GPU card?
    No.

Messed with voltages and power in the driver?
    No. I use the original Nvidia driver as updated by Nvidia GeForce Experience. I tried with the standard 3D settings with the same result.

6. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Do you have more than 1 brianza track installed?
    I remember another user, that did have a similar problem with another track, but i can not find the thread anymore.
    But he has had similar entries in his trace, like your
    Error opening shaders MAS file brianza10k.mas
    And the problem was, as said, that he had different versions of the same track installed.
    After he removed them and kept only the original one, the problem was gone.
    Sometimes modifications of tracks and cars get installed when you join an online server and that could cause such problems then.
    Check your "Installed" folder if that is the case.

7. Art_Pereira

Art_Pereira Registered

Only one Brianza 1966 installed, version 2.04.

8. muz_j

muz_j Registered

I strongly recommend you stress test your PC - particularly the memory. Use something like Memtest86+ on a bootable USB key.
    It will take you a few minutes to do it, but it rules out a basic problem with your computer.
    A reboot is not normal - even for a nasty software issue. One of the classic cases or causes is a memory issue of some kind.
    Given you have stated your computer was professionally cleaned recently, that's quite a realistic problem.

So step 1 - is run a memory diagnostic tool for at least one pass to confirm your computer's memory is not an issue.
    Step 2 - what other software do you have that you can use to stress the PC ? - like high end games etc.
    You can use something like the on screen display from MSI Afterburner or any other GPU tool that supports RivaTuner - to confirm that your CPU & GPU utilisation and memory usage. You want to run something else - even if just briefly, that loads the CPU to a high level and consumes as much system and GPU memory as possible. Performance isn't relevant - you are just trying to load the computer to the highest level you can, to confirm that it is stable.

Do those two things before you go any further, or being honest (and I've done a lot of technical support work), you are wasting your own time.

Link to Memtest: https://www.memtest.org
    Download a bootable ISO image.

You can use something like the Universal USB installer to create a bootable USB key - it supports a lot of different ISO's and is a favorite of mine over the years.
    https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

YUMI supports multiple ISO's on a single key - you can use that too, if you want to put multiple tools or images on a single USB key.
    https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

- do the basics first, especially given you mentioned the computer has been serviced. Stress test it and confirm it's not a basic hardware issue. Memory can go bad or degrade over time. It's not common with most computers, but it does happen - especially if the memory is of low quality or highly clocked (in terms of frequency).

Lazza likes this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

For an easier first test, you could also try the Windows memory diagnostic tool in your Administrative tools folder in your start menu. I once had a memory issue that memtest didn't pick up, but that tool did, so both would be good.

Most of these content related errors will cause the game to crash or content to simply not work, but a PC reboot is another matter as @muz_j has said. Of course nothing is impossible.

10. Art_Pereira

Art_Pereira Registered

Thank you guys! I am an accountant with good expertise on Excel but I never delt with this kind of weird problem. I will do what you suggest and will be back asap.

11. Art_Pereira

Art_Pereira Registered

Fuck rFactor2. It was ok while it lasted.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

rF2 won't reboot your PC. Something's wrong with your PC/Windows. But blame the game.

13. Nicsos123

Nicsos123 Registered

I’ve the same issue here, only on rfactor2 while in the track menu. Pc crash and reboot! It‘s driving me crazy. I‘ll now delete all mods and cleanly reinstall rf2, let’s see if it works then.