VR too bright/washed off

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by moonm8trx, Jun 9, 2020.

1. moonm8trx

moonm8trx Registered

How can I adjust the brightness, exposure and contrast in VR? It's WAY too bright, and the whites are blinding. I try to choose overcast weather to tone it down but it doesn't work and I kep getting blue sky.

Griffin Johnson and Ariff like this.
  2. lagg

lagg Registered

The brightnes is OK for me.
    Is it possible that you are using old content not converted to DX11?

3. moonm8trx

moonm8trx Registered

It's definitely worse on old content but not, it's just as bad with Sebring let's say. I don't have this issue with any other games. Is there a way to adjust it?

4. lagg

lagg Registered

AFAIK, no.
    But i don't know anybody with this problem (and 50% in our league use VR)

moonm8trx likes this.
  5. The Great Apt

The Great Apt Registered

I feel the same about Sebring, feels washed out and lacking in contrast.

To be fair though, it felt the same in AC and imo AC does VR better than rf2; the track just seems to be pale and washed out, white builds, flat, low horizons etc.

Does the game have an auto-exposure for light/colours though? I'll need to go over the cars but, in loose terms, Imola (the Reiza pack) seems to be brighter/dimmer (over/under exposed) in some cars and not others.

6. tennenbaum

tennenbaum Registered

Same problem here. Unfortunately this is an older thread. Hope somebody reads this and can help. Contrast, brightness, colours were all good for me in VR (reverb G2, beefy hardware, no other problems at all) until suddenly brightness changed to much too bright. Black level got lifted significantly, so no black dashboard any more, instead it got grey. Didn't find any fix. All other sims and games still look as good as before.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  7. Hank Madison

Hank Madison Registered

I’m having this issue as well. Especially with Sebring.

8. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Registered

Same here at Sebring with the Reverb G2 + 3080.

9. tennenbaum

tennenbaum Registered

Strange: I reported I had the same "washed out" problem in June, see my post above. When i launched Nürburgring and Sebring and some other tracks a couple of days ago the colors and brightness have "reset" to their old normal, thus ok values. (Still on the typical rFactor bright-ish side, but nice as I like them), I didn't change any settings, neither in the game, Nivdea controller, Windows, any updates or anything else.

10. Hank Madison

Hank Madison Registered

Tried Sebring again today in VR at various settings and it is still washed out on this end.

11. tennenbaum

tennenbaum Registered

it seems to be (still) a track independent erratic error. Recently it changed from washed out to normal and back within one session while pitting (replay screen) and getting back on track, (in this case Nürburgring gp).

btw: when i came back to rf2 this weekend after having played more acc, raceroom, ir, i was stunned, how intuitive, real, just right, rf2 feels. you sit in the car, drive, and do what you would IRL. I think this feeling is even more pronounced when you play in VR.

I wished rf2 would become more popular with a broader (multiplayer) community. i wonder why not more people get immediately hooked up with r2f after connecting their wheel with it.

12. Filip

Filip Registered

Lack of taste.

tennenbaum likes this.
  13. I know it is an rather old thread but I encountered similar problem on Sebring, Indianapolis and Daytona and worked around it using openComposite and openXR for VR.

I just turned down brightness and contrast in openXR - with the menu of openXR it could be done on the fly; also the "sunglasses" effect of openXR might be helpful (I am using an Oculus Rift S).

juanchioooo likes this.
  14. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

we shouldn't have to use applications to remove excess brightness, studio 397 should review it, because if it's sunny it becomes unbearable... I use pitool and it also has configuration, but it's not its thing,... it should be rfactor who solves the problem issue!!!

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  15. I agree - that 's why I wrote I worked around it and not I solved it ;-)

I am not sure if it is based on a bug or on the contrast / brightness of most VR glasses because it is not an issue using monitors, but I tried nearly everything I could find and disabling post processing did not do the job e.g. - also not disabling or lowering reflections and so on.

I was using a screenshot of the scene in Sebring and loaded it into GIMP in order to try what lowering contrast and brightness will do, also doing color adjustment and I noticed that only reducing contrast did remove the very bright looking pixels of the track surface.

16. p.s: IMHO it is affecting s397 tracks only and not mod ones, but I could be wrong

17. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I use pimax 8k plus with the Pitool and it has a configuration option, but if you lower the brightness or (backlight) in resistance at night you die... before I had oculus CV1 and used composite but also rfactor is very green in VR or STUDIO 397 put the batteries or there is nothing to do, I prefer to run races a little cloudy to be able to drive because it is an ordeal with the sparkles and the shine on the asphalt, you do not even see the lines

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  18. At the moment I am a lucky one as the community I am participating is not driving night races, but we are using real weather and I need to check how it looks like in rain.

As rF2 was released - I think - there was native VR support (as it was the same time as PC or PC2 was developed with native VR support), but it has been dropped for some reason; TBH I did not continue testing rF2 around release that time as I found the UI being horrible and started with rF2 again last year.

Also on monitors you need to concentrate to be able to see the track and on Sebring it is impossible to see Bishop and Gendebien corner in sunny weather in VR without lowering contrast and brightness (and someone else already mentioned it seems to be worst at around 2 p.m track time).

But in autumn last year it seemed to be impossible to use VR and I think there has been some improvement for whatever reason.

juanchioooo likes this.
  19. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

sometimes gpu drivers do funny things on some games.
    maybe try either reinstalling the ones you use, or try different version driver?
    nvidia has had much difference in brightness levels on driver versions over the years... some games may get bit whashed out sometimes.
    rf2 is not big enough title for the drivers team to test the drivers on this game. i had similar problem with dcs few years back. reverting to previous driver fixed it.

20. Hm ... it is worth a try and a good hint, too, but I have to say Nvidias shader caching is working pretty well for me so it would be sad to revert to a version where this feature is missing.