Released Latest Build Update rFactor 2 - 1.1119 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Ian-C

Ian-C Registered

I moved rF2 to an SSD which stopped mine freezing.

Levelup1 likes this.
  2. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Happy for this (last today hotfix) :

rFactor 2 - 1.1119 Now Available!
    Steam Build IDs
    Opt-out (old UI)
    client: 5129769
    dedi: 5128834

public_beta (NEW UI)
    client: 5129873

- Hotfix for the ambient sounds
    - Improvements to shader compiling / loading
    - Fix for mismatch upgrade detection

3. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

Hello
    To play on my team's servers (RFR-O), I have no problem, but when I go to the lobby, I always get "an error occured" and "unable to download mod". I have selected public server and same version.
    I play RV.
    Before,with 1.1118,no problem.

4. TVRGuy

TVRGuy Registered

Ambient sounds are working, can barely hear them

5. Alexandre Martini

Alexandre Martini Registered

yep, that's exactly what i'm experiencing here... will try the trick below... let me know if you find a solution in there!

thanks for the tip, i'll try that... you think it's something to do with disk access? i think it's related to that.

the only thing i notice is cpu spikes to 100%.

6. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

New Ui everything is still very immature!
    The scroll bar for Packages / Opponents / Tracks u. Cars is too small.
    You scroll away very quickly when scrolling and nothing works anymore ... unless you move the cursor exactly on it again.
    Made very stupid.
    If you open the item store or the workshop, then everything should be gone when you finish with ... X ... no, half of it hangs, only go back with ESC ?? Stupid.
    If the new Ui launcher appears after starting it just takes too long to be used ... zzzz ... nobody needs it.
    Also, if ... zzzzz ... goes out 5 seconds before you can work, people don't go!
    I always switch back and forth between new and old Ui, at the moment the old Ui is much quicker and clearer.
    The new one is just more colorful and not ready for the market.
    Well and then the mess with the unobservable mod cars and the paint problem.
    I've loved rF2 for over 15 years, but that's how it gets stupid.
    Finally bring a line in there.
    I'll keep you going, if something doesn't suit me I'll cut you out.
    good race!

7. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

I don't like the new UI too much at the moment....I don't think it's too clear and the reaction speed is too slow......but now it's a beta.....this kind of behaviour is normal......from the first beta version has already seen a lot of positive changes

8. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Hey,
    Nice to see some work on the light system...
    Still need tweak but some interesting stuff. The 24 cycle lightning is becoming nice.

On a slightly different note, the game used to have a blue tint... now we have a green tint, about 2-3% too much, if I can trust the post process tool I'm using to fix it...
    Your 'light' guys need to invest on a nice a calibrated monitor :D... kidding, we get that it's still pretty much WIP...

The UI on the same critic but fair tone, need to mature a lot more, don't make the mistake to release it like that... people we'll crush you on facebook otherwise lol... seen the crowd there being a bit salty... often, but not always for no reason.
    Some potential for sure tough... maybe start by removing the imaginary 'favorite server' loading and put it somewhere inside the server screen... only if requested by users.

On the optimizing side... would be nice to investigate some graphics area... like adding bigger rear view mirror distance in the option, since I do not get any difference in performance when I increase it to 1500 on the .ini file, and on both my mid/low and mid/high systems... it look a lot better to see this far without clipping.

We have also some potential waste of performances with some of the graphic options... for example I get big fps hits with the option 'rain drops' and 'road reflection' turned on, at any level, compare to off... without any difference in visual quality, expect when it rain... knowing people only play like 2% of the time while raining... it would be a big deal to have a script that only enable those two options when needed... worth the effort to investigate if doable...

Cheers guys, keep up the decent work. Meanwhile we'll keep on driving on soft deflated tires for 90min race :D... beating those clueless newcomers... enjoying the great driving feeling tough.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  9. Alexandre Martini

you get worse FPS in dry weather with that option turned on?

10. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Yes, I do get performance hit, and not a small one, with both 'rain drops' and 'road reflection' in dry weather.
    As a matter of fact those options are among the worst one in term of performance impact... along with the number of car visible, shadow, post process and AA...
    Personally, I have everything else turn up to max, sometimes even shadow and AA, since it's worth the perf loss that isn't that big... but always turn off those 'rain only' options... quite the perf hit for no visual differences 98% of the time... I can always turn them on and test if it's manageable for rare raining events.

I did my test a few weeks ago. I usually take some time to figure out which option impact my system or not. Feel free to try it yourself.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Alexandre Martini likes this.
  11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Yes that has been noted by other users before. Just having the option enabled pulls down fps even in sunny weather.

12. dazzer

dazzer Registered

Random question just in case someone who knows about this reads it.
    I read a long time ago something related to the possibility of including environmental occlusion, is that still in the plans? I think that including an environmental occlusion would be a great improvement in the graphics, the shadows in general would change and in high graphics we could enjoy that, yesterday during some tests in sebring I thought, the sky looks much better now, but something bothers me, something does not look correct, and then when I looked at the wall and the grass I understood it, it was the lack of shade and degraded in the interaction of the wall and grass. After analyzing the complete panorama I understood that this affects the graphics in a brutal way. I think that if you include a complete environmental occlusion system it would be great.
    Obviously it is just a question and suggestion, I know it is not something as important as other areas, but I wanted to write it taking advantage of the fact that they are reviewing the graphic area.

13. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

+1

14. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I see an environmental occlusion when I enter the Monaco tunnel.

And the brightness seems more or less strong depending on the more or less cloudy sky (same circuit and same time). Would this option be partially activated?

15. dazzer

dazzer Registered

I really don't know, I'm just asking since in some places there seems to be nothing and it makes a very strange impression

16. Kahel

Kahel Registered

That's true, in some condition, the presentation looks very 'flat' even when the textures are good.
    Remind me when you turn on/off the lightning system on a graphic engine like unreal4... it makes a world of difference.
    That's why that was a very good news when I first heard they were seriously working on a improving the lighting system... it can alone solve the issue... so let's see if it does in the coming months... hopefully.

17. Alexandre Martini

instead of making the graphics better, i would first like to have an option to strip down the graphics even more for performance.

rfactor desperately needs better graphics performance.

instead of making us lower the track and object detail to low, which removes grandstands and buildings, just lower their poly counts to something very, very basic, so that they are there, but not in their best shape.

removing grandstands in a racing sim in 2020 to get better frames is a crime no sim should be allowed to commit.

18. stonec

stonec Registered

Ambient occlusion was implemented three years ago (2017 May roadmap):

Usually I don't bother because graphics are not important to me, but I tried to watch Saturday's streamed events with a critical eye. I'd say Monaco looked definitely better than before, the overall tone is more natural, the excessive blue ambient light is gone, shadows are now at least less dark and depth of field is a little less extreme. I'd say the improvements done last few months have improved graphics in at least 90% of cases. Some modded tracks in daytime do look a bit bland now, but Monaco didn't, so probably it has a lot to do with using latest tech correctly (IBL, PBR).

19. stonec

stonec Registered

Does it though, what kind of system are you running with? At this point, Assetto Corsa Competizione is universally considered the heaviest sim to run, much heavier than say, rF2. rF2 used to be the most heavy and unoptimized sim of all, but that changed when S397 did some major changes a couple of years ago. Also we have to remember that hardware improves every year, but rF2 hasn't added any new graphic effects since 2017, so on average the game runs a lot better now than a few years ago, simply because CPU's and GPU's have got better.

Levelup1 and Alexandre Martini like this.
  20. Kahel

Kahel Registered

I don't have the same experience. Could be interesting to know your system spec Alexandre.
    With both my i5/gtx1060 and my ryzen7/gtx1080 system... lowering track detail has little impact if any depending on the track. What really impact performance is the number of visible car... that's an area where they should definitely invest time optimizing.
    Might not hurt to also look into LOD... but since it has not been an issue for years, even when I tested with weaker system than those I own now... at some point they should not be aiming too low imo... already a lot work as it is. So focusing on what make the biggest change for most is key, most have around i5 and 1050 perf... so it should be the target for optimization. Not below, not anymore at least.