GTE cars handling issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KCW, May 22, 2020.

1. KCW

KCW Registered

No kidding....

what i am quite clearly saying is that with no more than 50% force on the pedal at the default 94% brake setting, i get the car pulled up very quickly.

you seem to be saying you can push the pedal to 100% and still not lock the wheels. Mine lock almost instantly if i do that at stock setup value on the in car brake force menu.

i did not substitute anything at all, both say the same thing, you are not reading it right.

i am referring to force used on the PHYSICAL BRAKE PEDAL, not the setting in the tuning menu.

2. KCW

KCW Registered

I know how the brakes work yes. I also know exactly what the tuning settings relating to brakes do. But i am not talking about the car specific tuning setting for brake force, i am talking about force physically applied to the pedal.

If i stand on the brake pedal, regardless of how many laps i have done, the brakes will lock almost instantly and the car generally becomes very unstable if you happen to turn or go over a bump.

with the exception of the unfinished AMS2 with this issue being well reported a few weeks ago where some cars would lock the wheels as low as 20% braking, i do not get this in any other sim, and only seem to get it with SOME of the GTEs in rF2.

in ACC with any car on any default aggressive setup i can force the brake pedal hard at high speeds without issue, even with the ABS turned right down to lowest setting.

i do not change my manually callibrated pedal values for any sims, and in controller setup menus of any sim, they all show about what anyone would expect to see. To get 100% on the graph in the controller settings menu, i have to push the pedal quite firmly.

so i dont know if there is something i am supposed to set with a load cell brake pedal in the controller settings to make the pedal function as it does in others, but given it does nothing like this in any S397 GT3 car i dont think it is anything i have in settings that is the cause of this.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  3. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

@KCW
    I have a load cell brake pedal (Fanatic CSR Elite). It's on the softest setting, otherwise I rip my seat off its mounts to get full brakes.
    I have not encountered what you are describing in any of the GTE cars.

My brake sensitivity in the controls menu btw is set at 100% so completely linear.

Does the brake graph in the controls menu make sense when you stand on the brakes?
    No sudden spikes or other.

4. KCW

KCW Registered

Yeah mate it is perfectly smooth in the menu for sure, so the pedal is working as it should, it just locks easily in some of the GTE cars. Perfectly smooth in the replay screen too, nothing out of the ordinary is ever seen there.

it seems fine in the Ferrari

5. franser

franser Registered

After continuing to test the le mans and sebring with different setups the ferrari feels fantastic, I hope that the BOP GTE for le mans will leave the others as fantastic as the ferrari and not that it will ruin the ferrari like the other GTE

Griffin Johnson likes this.
  6. KCW

KCW Registered

Well lets hope so.

i cant understand why they would even do what they did, if the car has a certain size fuel capacity why are they changing it in game?

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

fuel tank size is one of the variables that can be changed in a BOP league. Also how fast the fuel flows into the tank, an air-restrictor to limit or increase HP. quite a few items can be adjusted up or down, including weight.

8. KCW

KCW Registered

Yeah but it doesnt do anything for accuracy really does it.

9. David O'Reilly

I explaimed in my post on BOP for VEC why fuel tank size and flow rate gets adjusted.
    In short fairness. That's what BOP is.
    You can't have differing cars on the grid in the same class that can run different fuel mix, stint length or have shorter pit stops.

In real life adjustments get made every round.

UGM 133A likes this.
  10. KCW

KCW Registered

What did they base these variables off when they first created the cars?

11. David O'Reilly

Its like real life KCW.
    The factory make a car.
    It gets BOP'd.
    They race.
    They get BOP'd again.
    They arrive at Circuit de la Sarthe and get BOP'd again.
    Nobody there says "well it left the factory with this minimum ride height, weight, air restrictor, diffuser length, fuel capacity etc etc. so it has to stay the same!
    GTE racing would not exist without BOP. If there was none then one car would smash everyone else, everyone else goes home, no more racing.
    So mate it just doesn't matter what they based it off. If its unfair it gets changed. I wouldn't get too emotional about a 3 litre reduction in fuel tank capacity.

12. KCW

KCW Registered

I wouldnt get emotional about any of it to be quite honest.

13. UGM 133A

UGM 133A Registered

If this is the reality, maybe they should have different "setups", effectively different BoP setups for different circuits based on whatever was done in real life? Maybe that info is hard to get ahold of, but that would make more sense than having the cars stuck with some random BoP when in reality they're changing from event to event. Since what you're saying would be a bad thing to happen in real life is actually happening in the sim since some of the cars are clearly better than others.

By "they" I mean S397/rF2.

14. KCW

KCW Registered

Yeah, exactly. Some are SIGNIFICANTLY better than others.

15. KCW

KCW Registered

I took the Porsche for a trip around Spa, and it does not seem to exhibit the same issues.

I did about 30 minutes straight and didnt overheat the tyres at all.

Totally stock setup, didnt change a thing. Obvious it could be improved a fair bit, but in all honesty it was completely driveable.

16. franser

franser Registered

My test circuit is sebring since it is a normal distance circuit.
    With Ferrari GTE I recorded a time of 2.00.1 and with the porsche GTE I recorded: 2.01.9 (I must work more in the setups) since I saw times of 1.59 in sebring with the porsche gte. It may also be that the Ferrari is more suited to my driving style

17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

That is a good point. None of these cars will be exactly the same, Even something like a flat or hilly circuit should show some benefit to one type of car vs another. And how we drive will also suit one brand over another.

18. KCW

KCW Registered

Yeah the issue i found when i tested at Spa was that the Porsche was significantly better to drive than it is at Lemans.

it has no issue with rear end grip there even though i had two clicks less rear downforce, and after 30 minutes or so of straight driving i still had not overheated any tyres at all.

the latter seems to be where the GTEs fall over around Lemans, after 3-4 laps the rears will overheat very easily and the car then becomes quite loose.

have a crack on Spa and see what you can pull off there, i reckon if i spent a bit of time dialing in the setup i could go a pretty easy 2:14 in the Porsche.

Eau Rouge was flat even on the second lap.

19. David O'Reilly

Maybe due to the many hard acceleration zones out of tight corners at LeMans.
    Dunlop chicane, the 2 chicanes on Mulsanne, Mulsanne corner, Arnage and final chicanes all involve hard acceleration in low gears.
    Spa has final chicane and La Source and it has a downhill exit.
    Just ideas :)

20. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Rear tires gets massive heating during the straights, even with minimal camber, toe and downforce. After only one lap the core temps of the rear tires is higher than 110 degrees.