Track AIWs

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by t0p5ecret, Sep 17, 2019.

1. atomed

atomed Member

Hey there, Mark, I just noticed sometimes faster class cars being are very hesitant to overtake slower ones. Is it because of the track AIW or maybe the agression setting or another factor?

2. Ian-C

Ian-C Registered

I have noticed this as well especially watching AI in Endurance races at Le Mans, Drafting cars on the long straits don't attempt to overtake on the straits they just sit behind the car in front about a foot away from the bumper tapping the brakes all the time, they make no attempt to pull out to overtake. I have tried on different strength setting but i can't see any noticeable difference in their behaviour so I'm thinking it must be something in the AI coding that they don't recognise drafting opportunities.

atomed likes this.
  3. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

I took a look at Le Mans specifically for this, it’s partially line, slowwhenpushed and draftstickiness based. So a lower slowwhenpushed and draftstickiness plus a good line should fix it. You’ll notice it’s not an issue at Road Atlanta.

Emery and atomed like this.
  4. The Great Apt

The Great Apt Registered

I agree with the first part, I wish I could with the second; have tried agro from 0 in steps through to 100 and see no difference in their behaviour, still punt, drive through you and act as if you're not there.

Reading around a little on this, could break/block(?) lines be an issue that makes the AI seem as bad as it does?
    I see this everywhere, but at Canadian Tyres Motorsport (senormen) they seem to me to be really bad; that's at Str 100, Agro 0 and Limiter 44.

5. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

Which cars? There are some mods with a talent file that makes the cars very aggressive

6. The Great Apt

The Great Apt Registered

USF2000s...now you mention that, I can't remember having this much frustration with F-Vees.

Sorry if this is a slight derail.

7. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

Hm, did a race at CTMP yesterday with the GT3´s (to compare with the other CTMP, which is imo worse in VR). Coudn´t say that the AI drove aggressive.

Why do you use limiter at 44? Read somewhere that it should be better at zero

8. The Great Apt

The Great Apt Registered

t0p5secret's guide on pg1.
    ok, I'm not proud, maybe it's something about my 'race craft' that's the issue, rather than just the AI.

Manfredk2 likes this.
  9. Aceking

Aceking Registered

NOTE: Whenever i experience strange AI behavior i delete my player.json file and let the game reinstall a new one.
    Located in rFactor 2/UserData/player/player.json. Perhaps a bug or needs updating with newer builds. Hope this info helps someone!

Ex. Just recently i was observing that a few AI were over-steering their wheel as if they were attempting to avoid another AI even though there were no other AI near them which sometimes caused them to leave the tarmac.. Note: AI mistakes are off and using no talent file!

Ex. Another time i was racing with a friend with 16 AI on my Server at Long Beach and the AI were racing great on my end but my friend stated the AI continued to swipe one of the concrete walls but during our race session i never saw the AI swipe the walls he stated he observed. I restarted my Server and he experienced the same AI issues once again. Next, i suggested to leave my Server and delete the player.json file then return to my server. We both did another 15 lap race and all went great with no more AI issues for him!

Ex. The AI appeared to be driving blind and continued drive thru me rather than make a proper pass around me so deleted my player.json file and like magic the AI were back to normal and respecting proper race behavior.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    atomed likes this.
  10. RedBarchetta

RedBarchetta Registered

What do you guys think about these videos comparing the older AI (pre December 2019 builds) vs the newer builds?

11. Beef36

Beef36 Registered

Hi Mark,

This is really fantastic work. I'd like to make a couple of suggestions:
    - Are you able to add a link to your Youtube video on how to install these AIW in your first post. It makes it easier for new people to find
    - Can you please add a date for each AIW when it's updated, because unless the entire thread is read, it's hard to determine if any pre-existing AIW has a more recent update. Something like:

Brands Hatch (version 06 November 2019)
    https://mega.nz/#!V1ADWS7D!ZKkJYnQBB5NflQp7ajLvvbOpDWCqo3nG6EMglqVV4h0
    Change log - New fastest, block and pits, all round track performance.

You're doing an awesome job for the community :)

12. Aceking

Aceking Registered

Marcel from S397 is very aware of the AI issues and recently answered questions posted by users and my question about proper Slip Streaming he replied to and stated the Slip Streaming was broken from a earlier build and is one of their priorities after the beta UI is finished.

NOTE: As t0p5ecret stated and i totally agree by making adjustments to the Slowwhenpushed and AIDraftStickiness in the AIW it will help improve their attempts to make more passes until S397 properly does a full Slip Stream fix.

Another huge issue is when multiplayer grids running faster cars like LMP with slower GTE at Le Mans and LMP needs to do a fuel stop and comes up behind a slower GTE who is also doing a fuel stop it will follow the GTE in the right-hand lane and will never attempt to pass though when they both go into a turn the LMP will sometimes pass but there is so much time wasted on those long straights!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    atomed likes this.
  13. RedBarchetta

RedBarchetta Registered

Other than the slip streaming that you mention, what other AI issues is s397 "very aware of"?

Doesn't sound promising. They have been working on new UI for several years and it is not very impressive at all. Does not fill me with confidence that AI will be fixed

14. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

Ok, i tested the USF 2000 yesterday at CTMP. Had a very clean race without one yellow. The only idiot that punted other cars was me. AI vs. AI was total clean. 100%, Agg. 30%, Limiter 0

The Great Apt likes this.
  15. The Great Apt

The Great Apt Registered

Ok, I need to look at my race-craft.
    One thing I did see Re: limiter, whether is was set to 44 or 0, in a 10-lap race with 20 AI there was not more than a 2s difference between first and last (AI); the AI was basically running in trains of cars 4/5 deep, am I overestimating how much difference there should be based on Limiter?
    This may well be about my expectations, rather than an issue with the AI as such.

16. Aceking

Aceking Registered

Marcel addressed some of the AI issues in his video interview and if you would like more info check it out.
    Today i watched a few test races with the AI on my soon to be released Mugello AIW update v1.12 and i can assure you the updated AI are superior adersaries to those video examples which really didn't expose the Slip Streaming problem that Le Mans would expose.:)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    atomed, Manfredk2 and The Great Apt like this.
  17. Ian-C

Ian-C Registered

Where can we find said video?

18. Aceking

Aceking Registered

atomed likes this.
  19. Ian-C

Ian-C Registered

20. RedBarchetta

RedBarchetta Registered

Thank you Aceking, some good info.

Aceking likes this.