Limited User interface - Server search ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HomieFFM, Mar 25, 2020.

1. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

I mean more like it's destroying the whole sim in terms of go online jump on a server and drive against other people with original content, or the content you just have bought.
    Something like you can find in ACC or Raceroom for example.

To make it more clear: In ACC you want to race at the Nürburgring, you start the sim go to multiplayer and jump into a race with 15 other people.

In rF2 you start the sim, you try to find a server with the Nürburgring (or Nordschleife) with GTE, GT3 or cup cars, any of this.... You wont find anything, all you find is Server XY with Mod XY and Ai drivers.

2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@HomieFFM Easy solution for your problem: start your own server. ;)
    Don't forget, without all the mods, created for rf1, rf2 would not exist.

3. lagg

lagg Registered

@HomieFFM , don't you think that it would be better to improve the rF2 to make to use the servers easier , instead of forcing a big mount of people who have been supporting rF2 from the beginning, to go to another sim?

David O'Reilly and HomieFFM like this.
  4. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

I don't know, something to make it online playable. Like I can't be the only one who goes to the server lobby and thinking what the hell is that? xD

5. lagg

lagg Registered

I never use servers with oficial content, but i would never ask to remove the oficial content to be happy.
    rF2 is not only offline neither online with oficial content neither mods.
    rF2 is all these together and every part supports the game.

David O'Reilly likes this.
  6. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

Server full with AI and modded Tracks/Cars who knows? Nobody knows, you don't even know which car class is driving in there.
    But click on any server I bet it will downloading stuff from somebody who has created some weird mod about a car who he thinks it ''should be driving like that'' or 50 ugly skin packs.
    ai.png

Then you turn AI off and you still don't know whats in there. Nobody drives at Nordschleife which is ridiculous.
    You don't see any Formula E content, Le Mans, Sebring, nothing. Crazy.
    no ai.png

But yeah this is just my opinion, you can stick to your fantasy modding stuff, that's all there is anyway.

Ciccina2016 likes this.
  7. Joan Prim Armengol

Joan Prim Armengol Registered

I think the solution would be to list what content each server uses and telling if you have all content necessary to join it instead of removing all mods at once and screw many leagues in the process.
    Also with competition system might be easier to get servers with official content only.

HomieFFM likes this.
  8. likes_simracing

likes_simracing Registered

Are the 'modded' versions of the The Race legends cars/tracks available to the public or can be downloaded from somewhere? It would be cool to hotlap on the same tracks they raced.

9. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

That sounds like a good solution.

10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Your wish as in thread title might become truth, but not for rF2. End of support really begins with end of support by community, and you might be one of the first. Whenever rF2 ends and in case there is something next after it, then it might not have any modding... it is sad, but thats very likely to happen, and it will be boring times with only few kinds of cars and tracks with history and essentials forgotten.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    TheGame316 likes this.
  11. lagg

lagg Registered

I would add a new feature. Allow to install the mising content instantly if it's in the workshop or in the Store (paying obviously).

12. lagg

lagg Registered

And your opinion shows that you don't know what modding is.
    You have no idea that you're missing cars made with real data and circuits made with official CAD content or Laser data.
    But the important is to be happy with the content that everyone uses, as it's a hobby.

David O'Reilly likes this.
  13. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

That's what rF2 is already doing when you join a sever and that's super annoying, because your PC gets spammed with all that stuff without even asking. At least a option to start or stop the download would be good.

The solution would be what I have showed in the first post combined with what paul said, just an extra filter checkbox which allows you to show servers only with content you own or have installed.

If you only own original stuff then it would show you only servers with original content. Or if you have certain mods installed (like historic cars/tracks) then it would show you them as well. Everybody is happy, nobody got killed.

And then basic Server informations like which track, cars, carclasses are in there. It's ridiculus that those informations are missing.

14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I agree that the game should diplay what is going to be downloaded, and the weight of it. Then you could just decide. And no need to kill the modding for your little inconvenience.

15. ApexModding

ApexModding Registered

"rF2 should step away from Modding support"

We disagree. In fact, one could say you are uninformed on the matter as there has been no active modding support for a few years now, the game simply remains open to it.

Your true point is regarding the limited user interface.

16. U. Daniel

U. Daniel Registered

It's a very difficult subject. on one side it's nice to have all the mods available, but on the other side they do destroy the ability to have good online racing. There are about 200 or more servers listed, but no info about what car or track is being used and all those 200+ server4s are empty, so what's the point. The only useful public server is the potato. I would like to find some servers with the available DLCs, but there aren't any. If people care for rF2, they should realize that less is more.

HomieFFM likes this.
  17. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

There are many more filters that could be applied
    • Cars
      • Which decade or even year
      • Class of car
      • Type of car (GT/Open/Touring/Street)
      • RWD/FWD/4WD
    • Tracks
      • Which decade or even year
      • Country
      • Continent
      • Type of track (Permanent/Temporary/Oval)
    I think that information is not available from servers at the moment but it's in rFactor so can be provided.

Then I can say "I want to race 90s F1 cars on European circuits, what is there?" not just "I want to race only S397 content".

mantasisg and lagg like this.
  18. lagg

lagg Registered

Less is more if you don't want more.
    If there is a problem with the info showed in the servers list the solution isn't delete the servers.
    Some of you say that the best thing is to remove the mods from rF2.
    Have you thought in the importance of the modding in rF2?
    Have you taken a look to the use of this forum?
    upload_2020-5-30_0-18-44.png
    How many posts are related to oficial content and how many to mods?
    Do you think that moding is bad for rF2?
    Why to create an unnecesary fighting between mods and oficial content?

mantasisg likes this.
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Bingo. Yet your solution apparently is to stop modding. Strange thread.

David O'Reilly, mantasisg and lagg like this.
  20. 3377

3377 Registered

I can only be disagreement with your opinion.

It is obvious that modding is at the core of Rfactor2. The motto of Rfactor 1 was : customize, control, connect. Online players should be somewhat grateful about the online system modification from Rfactor1 to Rfactor2. Everybody has the same data for a track or a car, there is not 10 versions of the same thing online. Rfactor1 online was a mess, Rfactor2 online solved this problem by using .mas files for everything.

Now having the option to see what you are missing before going on a server is certainly helpfull. Honestly is having a lot of tracks and cars on your Rfactor2 folder such a big problem for you guys? It's not like we have 100Go storage capacity limiting the amount of data that we can have ingame. Managing your content is super easy and relatively quick via the steam/package system. I do not want to be harsh but if you don't want modding in your simulation, Rfactor2 is not for you, you should try Automobilista 2 for example....

As a mainly F1 racer I am thankfull that some modding team exist to make content that are not made by the game devellopers, even so they made some fantastic content (thank you studio 397 for the GT3/Nurb' DLC, loving it).
    Great teams and modders like F1 ASR, VRC, Carrera4, ChiefWiggum, Trollray, RaceFactor, Corti, Senormen, Digga and many more that I don't mension, are allowing me and certainly many others to race and have fun with classic F1 content and many tracks not present in the game without modding. And I am not speaking about the rest of quality mods/modders.

Rfactor2 is wonderful for allowing us to edit more or less everything while letting official content/mods (i.e. not in devmode) the same for every user, letting the online side of the game without too many wastes.

Long live to Rfactor2 and modding in general!