Dedicated Server - Track Updates

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by The Great Apt, May 29, 2020.

1. The Great Apt

The Great Apt Registered

Hi,
    Just seen that my server was running Zand v2.10 and had to manually update it to 2.26.

Shouldn't tracks auto update the same way vehicles do?

2. Ian-C

Ian-C Registered

A dedicated server that is installed using SteamCMD will have to be manually updated using SteamCMD or copying files from a steam install.

I don't know the command to get SteamCMD to update workshop content as i usually just fin the rfmod files on my gaming PC and copy them to the server and use ModMgr to install them.

3. The Great Apt

The Great Apt Registered

Aye do the same here, is a pain to manually keep up-to-date on the tracks though.
    Easy to miss something or make a mistake and spend a week racing at Zandy 2.10 without realising you're not actually on 2.26.

4. Ian-C

Ian-C Registered

I have also noticed that they seem to be doing something different with DLC updates. I created a new rfmod file with the latest versions of the endurance cars on my client (Steam) PC, and when i tried to install it on the server it showed which cars needed updating, so i grabbed the rfcmp files from the workshop download folders and put them in the packages folder on the server but none of them would update. It seems they are not updating with new rfcmp files the only way i could get the server files up to date was to copy the Installed folder files for the vehicles.

I don't know how they are doing the updates as there are no rfcmp files for the Aston Martin 1.11b, BMW M8 1.85b, Corvette 2.05b, Ferrari 1.15b, Oreca 1.7b or the Porsche 1.99b. Moving the rfcmp file to the server package folder gives no option to update the vehicles in ModMgr so i don't know how you're actually supposed to update these vehicles.

5. Goanna

Goanna Registered

The format for content download via steamCMD is;
    Open command prompt and navigate to your steamcmd folder then type;
    steamcmd.exe +login USERNAME PASSWORD +workshop_download_item 365960 505225177 +quit

Change username and password to your steam username and password and change 505225177 to the number you want eg zandvoort is 1107038453
    Also check out the tutorial here => https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/setting-up-a-dedicated-server

6. The Great Apt

The Great Apt Registered

Could not get that to work, hence the copy/paste method; also, how does that handle 2fa?
    Even if I figure out why steamcmd wasn't running, won't 2fa be an issue?

7. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Took me a bit to work out what 2fa was lol....the first time you run the command it’ll come up with the message about being new login and will show Steamguard line where you enter your code from steam’s email that you will get. The command in my previous post needs to be run from the steamcmd folder in the cmd window. In windows explorer navigate to your steamcmd folder and LShift+right click will give you and option to open powershell in that location. Then type in cmd and press enter, then the command from my previous post.

The Great Apt likes this.
  8. The Great Apt

The Great Apt Registered

Worked like a charm, not sure what I was doing wrong but no real issues this time.
    Steam Guard prompted as said, one thing missing though was to enclose the username and passwords in quotes, so:
    "USERNAME" "PASSWORD"

Thanks for that, now to see if there's a way to get steamcmd to check for updates or batch download.

9. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Unusual that you had to have the “” stuff, I don’t and it works...but then again it’s steam/rF2 lol

10. CharlesClark

CharlesClark Registered

I hate when steam does stuff like this. They really have a lot of bugs and what annoys me the most is that for someone it works perfectly and for someone it does not. I really with if it could be like with a dedicated server that I use for my website. There are cheap dedicated servers being sold now and I had to get one because my website was lagging with my previous hosting. It was a great decision and everything went smooth. Now I have something really reliable that will never let me down and I wish that steam does not let me down, but that is impossible. Still game is good and I can just hope that the bugs will sort out themselves.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  11. Goanna

Goanna Registered

A little bit more info required here Charles or we’re all just guessing...what steps did you take and where did it stop working.