Limited User interface - Server search ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HomieFFM, Mar 25, 2020.

1. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

(Updated 06/20) Trying to find and join a server that you want in rF2 is very hard/ impossible due to the limited user interface.

The main problem is that you can't see the carclasses, cars and tracks that are being used.
    Basic informations as race/quali duration, current status are also missing.

It's not possible to see if mods are being used and the size of them in combination with no option to start/stop a download, it's getting started automatically. A possibility to see if a server is using content/mods you don't own.

One basic Idea would be an additional filter ''Has same content''
    You would be able to see server with content you have installed, maybe that way it would be possible to find more server with original/ DLC content or some of the mods you like.

Here is a prototype of the ideas:
    version 01.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Alessio Feletto and CamiloNino like this.
  2. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

I know right! Try this server, offical content: ISR A race Every 25 Minutes

HomieFFM likes this.
  3. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

I almost created this thread again xD

Is there maybe a workaround to see if a server is using any mods? I really would like to join online races like in Raceroom or ACC, but it's super annoying when you join any server your PC gets littered with unnecessary stuff and then you have to search and uninstall all this :(

again, hope there will be a ''No Mod' option in the future.

Akela_DE likes this.
  4. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

5. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

Paul McC likes this.
  6. Binny

Binny Guest

IMHO would like to see car/track info added to the multiplayer list so then can look by track or car to find a server.

7. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Happy to help, server will be up later today!

HomieFFM likes this.
  8. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Track is listed under details, and if you click on a server in the bottom left corner (as I have highlighted in Orange) There is the track and session info. Race Event info can be confusing because it just shows the name you gave to the package made for the server which could be anything from 'my new mod' to 'Never lean over on a Tuesday!'. Litterally anything you like. I always try to call mine the actual make and model, or at least series (i.e. GT3's) that i am running, to give folks an idea of whats on there, so do some other folks, and some call it after their website maybe. I think in the new U.I. it will probably have whatever name you wanna give it (be that, 'Reiza pack cars' or 'i have strange nipples') plus the actual cars on the server, or at least I hope so. rFactor 2 Launcher 17_05_2020 09_55_52.png

Binny likes this.
  9. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

There is a S397 official server up with nords, the cup car, and the senna

atomed, HomieFFM and Paul McC like this.
  10. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Woh hoo! Gunna check that out when I get home!

11. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

is this server still up? can't really find it

12. Binny

Binny Guest

TYVM is this also in the new UI down on the left ?

13. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

14. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Sorry mate, can't help you there cause I'm on the old UI still

15. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Nope! Only S397 & ISI content on my server so far, if it's trying to download it's cause you've not got certain bits of their content installed that's all. I understand what you said about A.i. which is why I only allow a maximum of 3 a.i. on my server, just incase folks jump in and there's no one there, they still have something to race against till players show up, but never gave risk of jumping in only to find about 14 or 30 a.i. and no humans. It's all explained in the POTATO thread

atomed and HomieFFM like this.
  16. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

I'm currently thinking they should completely step away from allowing modded content online. There are some good mods out there, but this is basically destroying the whole sim.

Not allowing any modded content would stop splitting the community into small servers with weird modded stuff and maybe everybody would actually use the great original content that is there. It would be faster and easier to join any server without any additional downloads necessary.

Trying to find and join a normal server in rF2 is impossible.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  17. Arnaud Plume

Arnaud Plume Registered

I've an opposite opinion, modding is good for rf2.

There are here some drivers which like driving on historical content. If rF2 is one day = to modern prototypes & GT it will be boring for a lot of us.

18. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

I don't think RFACTOR2 should step away from mods, there are actually mods from back in the RF1 days that have made into RF2 as official content. A clear was of telling if a server has content that you have without having to join to find out would be good though. Like in AC where you can use the checkbox to only show servers which include content you have

Davvid, atomed and HomieFFM like this.
  19. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

I agree there are very good mods out there, but the problem is everybody is creating and making mods and you can't see which server is using what kind of content. And my experience is you wont find a single server which is just using original content (except for potato server :D) you always end up with spam downloading stuff.

for example: I want to race at a server with GTE cars on Sebring, Nordschleife or Lemans... you wont find a single server with that, all you find is modded cars on modded tracks with modded skins ;( non of the good official content is anywhere represented at the online servers.

Shadak likes this.
  20. stonec

stonec Registered

Do you realize how many leagues rely on modded content? The hugely popular The Race events with real-life legends use "modded" cars, they change grip and setup values in cars and tracks, so they repack content, meaning it's not compatible with the stock content online. Some official S397 supported leagues like Formula SimRacing use a custom car as well.

David O'Reilly and HomieFFM like this.