AI questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Moving Violation, May 26, 2020.

1. Moving Violation

Moving Violation Registered

I'm having a very annoying problem with the AI. I keep getting side swiped constantly, especially at the start of a race. For example, I might be making a turn with my car tight to the curb. All of a sudden, I get hit by the AI vehicle which moves toward me to make the turn and hits me as if I wasn't there. I have had some success in reducing this problem by initially at the start heading for the middle of the track and looking for a lane and then holding that line. I understand AI will do some crazy things from time to time, but this for me has become epidemic. Any suggestions or do I have to just live with it ?

Also, I was wondering if the AI responds to my brake lights if I am driving a car that has them.

2. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Try turning down AI aggression to 1-2%, I have found if you have it set too high you do tend to get rammed a lot more, having it set to 1-2% the AI will give you the corner if you are a head also it does vary from mod to mod, some are aggressive than others.

atomed and Nano like this.
  3. Moving Violation

I actually turned down aggression to 0. I went back and tried 2 other cars and things seemed to improve. I noticed before that not only was I being hit but the bots were crashing into each other on almost every start. Using different cars, that was also greatly reduced.

I will try spending more time matching cars and tracks which I hope will provide a better experience. It's surprising how little progress has been made in AI compared to other areas.

4. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

I have also found that if you have AI strength set too high the AI are a lot more aggressive as well. Start at a lower percentage and slowly increase until the AI is probably no more than 2 seconds faster than you when you are competent and have reasonable pace on a particular track and car combo. AI strength does vary from track to track and car combo so set AI strength to your pace on any particular combo and ignore what the percentage number is. With this approach to setting AI strength and aggression you can have some good races against the AI. Hope this approach may of help to you, happy racing.

David O'Reilly, McKiernan and atomed like this.
  5. dazzer

dazzer Registered

AI is not a concern at the moment, it will be loved when the time comes, but with all the work they are still doing, do not expect them to have it overnight, and as I said it is not a priority for the study, and although I understand your point, there is also the point of view of the studio and at the moment what is most fashionable and in demand is a online game quality.

6. Moving Violation

I am aware that the big emphasis both here and elsewhere is online racing. I like AI because I can race when I want, and control all of the conditions. I understand the appeal of racing against other live people. However, if AI got really good, the appeal I think would broaden. At least part of the problem is that AI at this time is not very good so the demand I suppose is less, however, if developers don' see the demand they aren't going to pay attention. It's sort of a chicken and egg dilemma.

7. dazzer

dazzer Registered

I completely agree with what you say, in my personal case to play online I only use Iracing (a thing of taste, I like its structure and operation more).
    but in RF2 I enjoy better physics and I can mainly configure any race to my liking, if I want to run with horses with wheels, I do modding and run...
    he reality of handling gives it that plus, that others do not have, the complicated thing is that nobody goes to want to run online in RF2 with horses with wheels, that is where the ia enters to fill a race that otherwise could not be run. (Obviously the horse with wheels is an exaggerated example the run with less attractive cars than GT3 or open wheels

Although I think that there will be a substantial improvement in AI soon, it only remains to wait patiently.

8. dazzer

dazzer Registered

I also appreciate what studio397 have done so far. For some, the introduction of pbr materials, as well as the modifications at the graphic level are a waste of time, but from my point of view it is something necessary not to be left behind, also the new UI and the competition system has as projection to attract more people to the simulator.
    more public = more money and more money = more resources to develop other areas, I think everything is a cycle that is right,

I honestly prefer to have a permanent development like Iracing than to have an RF3 that for me means 1 or 2 years to assemble the new game and 2 or 3 years of constant updates and we return to an endless cycle ...

So I think it only remains to wait and hopefully the development of RF2 is continuous to the point that it can be fully developed.

(all this is just an opinion) :D

9. Moving Violation

The reason I originally bought Rf 2 was that I heard that both the physics and AI were good. In terms of the competition that is true although in the case of ai Rf 2 is the best of a pretty bad lot overall. You are right studio 397 has to take steps to capture some jingle to fund other things.

I have not ever competed online as I am not a skilled driver and am afraid I would ruin everyone's day. I am not your typical sim racer. I did not pick it up until age 72. I was concerned about my reflexes to get into simming, but there is a lot of technique involved which I work on a lot. So now I have 2 wheels 3 programs and will be buying another one soon. So I've been at this for a year and my interest level is still high. Maybe some day there will be a senior circuit for sim racers like the PGA .

10. dazzer

dazzer Registered

That is practically understandable, as for the online world, everyone has their opinion and it is very respectable.
    Here in RF2 there are quite a few leagues in case you want to find one to learn, even in race departament there are several very good leagues and with a very good atmosphere.
    As to the IA it was announced that they plan to address that problem soon, I could not tell when, but it is something that they will address, one thing that can also vary their experience with AI are the circuits and cars of the community, that is, the Mods, since it varies very much the quality of work in the archives of artificial intelligence.
    for now it only remains to wait and see how they address the IA problems :D

11. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

@Moving Violation
    Its just great that you are enjoying sim racing.
    Look to Emerson Fittipaldi and others as inspiration!

I do agree that the starts of a race can be quite dangerous. My guess is that the other cars are so numerous and in such close proximity that it seems to overload the "AI logic" if that's a word.
    What I often do is leave on invulnerable for the first lap, switching it off later to increase the tension and drama (immersion).