Upgrade time and second opinions welcomed.

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by David O'Reilly, May 26, 2020.

1. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I have an AMD FX-6100 processor. 3.3 ghz I purchased in 2013.
    Updated recently from an MSI HD 7850 GPU to an RX 590.
    AS Rock 990 FX Extreme 3 Motherboard.
    8 gig of ram (DDR3) in one stick.
    Single screen -AOC E2752VQ 27 Inch HD LED Monitor (2ms)

I had lots of CPU load issues in the P1 Gaming LeMans 24 hrs. Purple bar maxing out and dropping out of real time. Seems the CPU is the bottleneck.

I was considering simply updating the CPU to an AMD FX 8350 as it will fit the existing motherboard but seeing the pricing on the AMD Ryzen R3 3300X am now considering going for that and a new motherboard.
    Budget is important hence my thoughts above.

Any thoughts are welcome.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

While the move up to the RX 590 was a big jump, you essentially have already outdated yourself. I can't really talk, I'm using a RX 480 myself. I think the only reason my card performed well enough was the 8gig vid ram. The RX line can't compare to any of the newer products from either Nvidia or AMD. I think the same would occur with the cpu. choosing the FX for simplicity would put you behind the power curve right from the start. Remember, if you choose to upgrade to either alternative, make sure your power supply is up to the challenge.

Emery likes this.
  3. stonec

stonec Registered

The one RAM stick configuration is bottlenecking you further, you may lose up to 30% depending on the game by running single channel memory.

- R3 3300X is hugely better for gaming than FX 8350 in every scenario. Since rF2 runs all physics on one thread, FX 8350 extra cores wouldn't help and you'd only get a slight benefit due to boosted clock speeds.
    - R5 3600 (or the somewhat slower R5 1600 AF, but I heard AMD killed it) would be even better for future proofing, multitasking and running workstation programs due to the two extra cores.
    - Remember that you need to replace the RAM as well with DDR4.

David O'Reilly likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@davidporeilly sorry mate, time to make your current system a server and telemetry viewer and build a new one for driving :cool:

5. David O'Reilly

Lazza that would be a bit too financially adventurous for my budget conscious type. I have break it to my wife that real racing starts again in August.
    :(
    @stonec
    How much RAM on how many sticks do you recommend?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I understand, when I upgraded a couple of years ago it was from a PC built in 2010 :)

Realistically you need a new M/B so you can get a better CPU instead of a small step that won't last long, and that means new RAM. 16 GB isn't expensive and will last a while yet, 2 sticks (so 2x8) for dual channel goodness. I personally tend towards Intel but Ryzen with decent clock should do you well, I personally wouldn't worry about extra cores based on what I think you do (and don't do) with your PC, and I doubt you're big into games so rF2 isn't going to use more.

I haven't kept up to date on things since my own upgrade so I couldn't comment on specific hardware options, but I suspect you don't need the latest and fastest stuff - a year or even two old will probably be fine (of course when buying new, you can start to find it harder if you aim too old). For your single screen your new GPU will probably last a while too.

David O'Reilly likes this.
  7. David O'Reilly

So it's been done.
    AMD Ryzen R3 3300X 3.8ghz.
    2 sticks of 8gb 3200ghz ram.
    (already had an RX 590 GPU).

Big improvement.
    Previously at LeMans on low settings with 40 AI it would struggle to get 60 fps.
    Now with much higher settings (eg track and my car from low to high etc) I was getting 200fps (capped) in the pit garage. Driving 170fps with one mirror and 160 with all mirrors.
    CPU purple bar with plenty of headroom.
    Things look good!

Plus I have had an offer of £60 on Ebay for my old CPU and MoBo.

Lazza likes this.
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Good stuff David! Now stop saying it's not a game :rolleyes::D

I think you'll find the driving just feels smoother, even if before you weren't (or were rarely) going into slow motion with the CPU. That extra room seems to help, on top of the actual detectable issues an old CPU causes.

9. David O'Reilly

@Lazza
    Yes in the small amount of driving so far it has felt smoother.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@davidporeilly oh, and nearly forgot: 6 tenths improvement or you wasted your money :p

11. David O'Reilly

I'm banking on that to find that mysterious 6 tenths.