Going Big: Triple 43" 4k Monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Emery, May 26, 2020.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

The monitors I selected, are on sale for $840 US: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...20q/apd/210-avke/monitors-monitor-accessories

As unboxed, the rich IPS colors are wonderful. There's a "fast response time" setting that needs to be turned on to get 5 ms pixel response or suffer the standard 8 ms. To have acceptable text scrolling, absolutely turn the brightness up to 100 from the 75 default and contrast to 90 from the 75 default. Yes, they're only 60 Hz refresh.

My current GPU is only a GTX 1080, so I was happily surprised that Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, & Raceroom were all playable at 11520x2160 in Multiview without major sacrifices. Raceroom, for instance is on Medium graphics. That will help tide me over until I upgrade the computer as I do have a technical hitch, where nVidia Surround does not offer 5760x1080 as an alternative, only 5760x1200 and 4080x768. Hopefully I can figure out how to use CRU to get the EDID to offer 5760x1080.

How much bigger?
    This is the relative difference of my view in going from 27" to 43" accounting for the 43" monitors being slightly further away.
    [​IMG]

The FOV is enough now to see half the rearview mirror in stockcars...
    Stockcar.jpg
    ... but not enough to see the speedometer in a Cobra (unless you move the in-game seat backwards).
    Cobra.jpg

2. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Man that looks nice and they run well nice.

3. Emery

Emery Registered

Singing the blues today.

Not because of the monitors, rather I picked up my new computer last week. Minus a video card since the RTX 3090 is in short supply. Moved the GTX 1080 to the new computer (along with 1.5 TB of files) and got everything working by Sunday. Then last night the computer locked up and wouldn't boot after a power cycle. Let it cool down, still wouldn't boot. Yanked out the video card and it booted with the motherboard video(*). Whew, really glad it wasn't the motherboard or CPU, but, darn it, I'm going to be out of simracing until I can get my hands on a video card.

(*) Not that 1080p is bad, but I was happily surprised when the Intel video put out a 4k signal.