Logging Out-of-Realtime Physics Freezes [public-test]

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 19, 2019.

1. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

Tried last night lot of different graphical settings for optimising VR and found two weird things (another old known, but not reported it before, coz windows/bios).
    Starting point where everything works nice and fluently on 60Hz VR, just like train with nearly maximized graphics settings and 40 visible but "only" 19 AI + me on track, rain and track as Nurburgring Sprint.
    Lift to 90Hz and started to drop graphics to get game frame renders match to needed "180 frames", everything went fine until I touch on AA setting, that broke whole game, after lowering from my AA5 setting first to 4 and then to 3 game was having just crazy stuttering, and it didn't recover from it at all, rolling all back to known fluently working 60Hz didn't help, constant stuttering was there to stay.
    Recover from that I needed to shut down cpu totally and with known good settings aplied before starting game it recovered to normal state. Booting procedure neded tweak, as decribed below.

Another way to get random stutters was to start game aftet power up soon as getting windows desktop and stsrting game, if you came from cold start.
    A way to avoid those is to start cpu from power off state to desktop and do a soft boot, aka rstart cpu from menu, this has been a normal thing for me a long time period, after BIOS introduced RAM timing autoconfig, it will do bit overoptimistic timings (sub timings) on cold DDR4 sticks, and that for I'm normally booting cpu up from cold to desktop and leaving there for few minutes (when all startup sheduled windows parts have run thru) and then restarting cpu and again letting it to run thru all startup stuff before starting any game.

So one windows/bios crap and one weird rf2 fail.. Is it on shaders?

2. Filip

Filip Registered

Did you repeat your test with AA? More importantly after getting stutters with AA on 4 and 3 did you revert to AA 5 immediately before any further ineterventions to check if stutters are gone?

3. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

@Filip didn't fix by changing setting only, moved stuff out from shaders directory and gshell or something and no go, but after restart it started work.
    Did it put something on graphics card? dunno.. Starts to be scary to alter graphics settings.

4. vitto

vitto Registered

in my case modifying AA, a conflict has been created between the launcher and the game, that is: setting it by the laucher, it is then deactivated in game, and vice versa, with the result that in game, at the end of the loading of any rf2 circuit, it is nailed to the screen! only after replacing rf2.exe 64bit and deleting the configDX11 text file, did the game start working correctly

OdeFinn likes this.
  5. Ryan_Walker

Ryan_Walker Registered

6. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

One thing noticed, windows will run file indexing service even on game mode and running game.
    This behaviour is switched off at windows version 2004, 2004 doesn't allow file indexing service to run during gaming with game mode on.
    File indexing can be switched off on versions prior 2004.

7. Sido Weijer

Sido Weijer Registered

8. Markus Ecker

Markus Ecker Registered

9. Lorenzo Arisi

Lorenzo Arisi Registered

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  10. Remember to send Chris a message to update your username.

Thank you, its a long shot there are things in here, but better safe than sorry.

11. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

Hi,
    here are Log Files from a freeze. A Multiplayer Race in Lemans, Freeze are in Lap1 in Sector 2 for 1-2 Seconds

Attached Files:

12. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

https://www.studio-397.com/2020/05/release-of-build-1118/

This is very welcome news! Thanks for fixing this issue.

I am very curious as to what was causing this issue though, hope S397 can shine some light on it :)

Davvid likes this.
  13. Marisa

Marisa Registered

14. joaopitaes

joaopitaes Registered

Hey.
    I've not been having troubles with screenfreezes lately, but i've been having a weird problem for quite some time now.`
    It happens that everytime i watch a replay while in session my game gets stuttery. The only fix is to restart the game.

Here i have a log of mine where the first time i get out of pits i have no trouble as i didnt watch any replay.
    After that i have the stutters as i watched the replay on purpose to show this here.
    This is more noticeable in the last time i get out of pits.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TNPIRH71qH4scv4Z7UydEiSWu4Dxt4oO

This is what shows on the performance thingy.
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/253557076645773312/714063338924933200/Sem_Titulo-1.png

While this isnt the end of the world it is very annoying non the less.
    Thanks for your help!

João Pitães

15. Martin Dyrlund

Martin Dyrlund Registered

16. M Lynn

M Lynn Registered

Seems to be fixed for me now, all smooth and no stutters since the update.

17. Alexandre Martini

Alexandre Martini Registered

Hello guys, sorry if this is not the topic, but I'm having an issue where my FPS is ok all the time, but the game freezes from time to time for a few tenths of a second (sometimes up to a full second). I see a big CPU spike to 100% when this happens and I think this might be related to disk/memory usage.

Is this the topic I have to monitor or am I seeing a different issue?

18. tommytipover

tommytipover Registered

Had replay off to try and prevent

Attached Files:

19. JoaoF

JoaoF Registered

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020