TrackIR & driver swaps

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by "Phil", May 20, 2020.

1. "Phil"

"Phil" Registered

TrackIR does not load when entering car from "spectate" mode. Can this be corrected? I'm on a single screen and I rely on head movement to see around me. A fix would be much appreciated.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The only work-around I can think of, requires you to start the driving and then don't get back in. ( that might mean double stints or extra drivers)
    Track IR is an old solution that, while useful, probably does not have a large enough installed base of rF2 users for the team to devote time to investigate the issue. There are several other issues involving setups and damage that also plague multi-driver endurance racing. I would think those would see a fix long before a Track IR issue, and THOSE have been known for over a year.

3. "Phil"

"Phil" Registered

Thanks for the reply. Are there any "new" solutions besides triple monitors or VR that you know of?

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

both of those options are possible with rF2, but especially VR, you need a powerhouse Graphic card and cpu. I'm not aware of any framerate comparisions between VR and Triple screens. That might be a project for some techy user.

5. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

I don’t suppose there is any progress on this? We’ve just tripped up over this preparing for an official S397 race....

I can’t see (from an end-user point of view) why rf2 can’t initiate the same way regardless of driver or spectator mode... The fact that one of the plugins is quite dated should not be relevant.

It also appears to impact Fanaleds users (I use something else, fortunately, but my team mate does) amongst others.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just as some sort of explanation, I think several years ago the driver swap code was reworked and it impacted plugins. Several community plugin developers talked about it in here and the way to handle it became clear, but of course that required modifying the plugins to respond properly to what the game was now doing. The TrackIR plugin was presumably written back in the very early days and probably hasn't even been looked at by S397.

From a user point of view it's part of the game so should work, can only ask S397 whether it'll be fixed. Of note is they've moved some included plugins into the main game code, so the plugin interface itself probably hasn't been something they've had to deal with themselves.

7. "Phil"

"Phil" Registered

I have the feeling that S397 has enough on their plates without catering to a small niche market. It's unfortunate, because it would look to be a fairly simple solution. I've spoken to others who have the same issue. It is a shame when it is a nice alternative to pushing buttons to look left & right or spending big dollars for VR or triple screens.

8. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Phil - I’m guessing you’ve never used head tracking in anger as it’s so much more than a way to have a quick sideways look for opponents.

This issue with spectator mode (essential for driver swaps) is not restricted to head tracking anyway - the popular Fanaleds software for shift lights and displays appears to be affected too, amongst others.

As to the tired “better things to do” - these bits of software work perfectly in Drive mode - and S397 are promoting endurance races that require driver swaps - such as next weeks 3 hour invitational at Spa. It might be a niche, but it’s a very public one with plenty of other platforms vying for e-sports racing attention.