New to rFactor2 - Modifying Spring Values (Suspension)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheParadox, May 19, 2020.

1. TheParadox

TheParadox Registered

Hi All,
    I'm new to Sim Racing. I'm only familiar with the admittedly less involved Gran Turismo series. I've seen forums with people talking about tweaking the values but don't see a way to modify the values in the Garage. (See screenshot taken from game guide that explains them but says nothing about modifying them).
    [​IMG]

How does one modify these values? Do we need to install a mod or edit game files? I'm comfortable enough to do that, but I just need some direction. Also, what impact would that have on racing with other people? Once comfortable against AI, I may way to race real people.

I tried to search for answers to these questions but didn't find any answers that made sense to me. Perhaps I'm not using the proper search terms of the terms in the explanation are going over my head.

Thank you for your help and understanding.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

You've managed to choose a car that has fixed spring rates. If you want it stiffer, just hit the + for the front and rear Anti-roll Bars.

If you choose a different car, odds are good that the spring rates will be adjustable.

3. TheParadox

TheParadox Registered

I've tried three different cars. I suppose I've just had bad luck with my picks? That's a relief!

4. TheParadox

TheParadox Registered

Thanks! I managed to find 4 cars in a row that were fixed but the 5th one was editable. Thanks! I don't suppose there is a list of cars that are/aren't fixed?

5. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

I'm not sure if this is still a thing, but for what I was working on, at one time, had different sets of purchasable springs in the upgrade sections of the car selection screen. It is possible the unlocked rates are an option there (but I'm not sure what mod/car you are running, if this is still possible (I was having issues with it in devmod at one point), or if the mod has this implemented).

Emery likes this.
  6. Emery

Emery Registered

Not that I'm aware of. It's a safe bet that sportsracers and open wheelers will have adjustable springs. GTE and GT3, too.

7. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

There is a tendency for S397 to stick strictly with real life with official GT cars engineering, so if the series don't allow changes to spring rates you won't see them in-game. Many non official mods and some earlier official ones do.

Emery likes this.