POTATO (Pickup & Play public server)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul McC, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

It kinda depends what's going on here. Plus it's my own personal pc so when I need it for other things I can't run the server, because it's a very ill little pc and has some major problems which make life constantly difficult and makes multitasking almost impossible if the server is running. If I had the funds I'd like to run a 24/7 dedicated server, but seeing as I have no income since lockdown, and no savings that's just not possible. There has been kind donation from a very kind man of some of the parts to build a reliable dedicated server machine (CPU, gpu, ram, mb) and a friend of mine has an old power supple case & harddrive he may be able to give me, but it's just getting them all in the same place to do it, plus it will be my first time building a pc from scratch.
    So for the meantime basically when you see the server in the multiplayer use it, but it's not there permanently, although I have it running as much as possible, most of the day, pretty much every day and occasionally after midnight

atomed likes this.
  2. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes, this is the normal way, but that stopped working for me some time ago.
    I've to check again.
    Thank you.

Paul McC likes this.
  3. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Boom! Servers up!

My cars in there but I gotta go out as I'm making a video for ya!

4. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

No Potato for me.. :(

any help?

upload_2020-5-17_16-36-11.png

5. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Oh no, that's unusual, ok go back a few posts and you'll see the post I made about the Nissan Tintop Trinity. It lists all the cars and tracks on the server, which should auto download from Steam if you do t have them, but as that s not happened you can go to the Steam workshop and subscribe to them, you should have no problems after that

6. Marc Coyles

Marc Coyles Registered

I get same error as Ciccina2016 too I'm afraid, Paul.
    All vehicles and circuits from TinTop post are installed and verified working...

7. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

8. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

OK im home now, how can i help?

9. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

OK im home now, how can i help?

10. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Sorry, home now, how can I help?

11. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Ok folks! As a new week starts it's time to change up a gear! We're moving onto the next phase of THE NISSAN TIN TOP TRILOGY, it's the GTR!

I love driving this thing it's great! More powerful than the 370Z, better handling and loads of fun!

With a faster car we also have bigger tracks, all layouts have been changed from short to medium!

Server is up later than usual as I've been using the potato for making a video, which is still not finished after 2 days but I'll try have it done by tomorrow.

For those who had problems joining yesterday I hope you got it sorted, let me know if that's not the case and I'll do what I can.

Server is now live, just search: POTATO

Enjoy!

atomed likes this.
  12. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Ok guys after 4 days work the video is now uploading to my brand new YouTube channel! So once that's done and the discription is finished I'll post a link to it here and then get the server up and running for you.
    Amazing how much time it takes to make a 20 odd minute video!

Let me know what you think, you may find it amusing, you may find it rubbish, but there's a thank you to you all at the end!

Cheers!

atomed likes this.
  13. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Ok folks here it is, finally after 4 days of work!

Now I'll go set up the server!

U. Daniel likes this.
  14. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Ok folks the POTATO server is now live!

Enjoy!

15. Marc Coyles

Marc Coyles Registered

Righty... @Ciccina2016 - Close rF2 completely. Steam client.... View > Servers. Change Filter > rFactor2 > find potato, select and connect. It'll then direct connect to the server and tell you specifically what mods it can't pull down.

Find that mod in Steam Workshop. If already subscribed to it, unsubscribe, resubscribe (repeatedly) until you see Steam start to download it. Repeat til they're all installed.

Now you should be able to connect without an error.

(My problem was although I'd subscribed to Matsusaka AGES ago, Steam hadn't actually downloaded or installed it. Took 12 goes at unsubscribing / resubscribing to get Steam to actually download it).

Paul McC likes this.
  16. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

A round of applause for Marc folks! :):):)

17. Outrun

Outrun Registered

Subscribed and I will see you guys on the races tonight. I am in the old convict territory so I hope that doesn't cause any issues. Been into sim racing for a while but PC and especially online PC I am a complete rookie. Thank you very much for doing all this Paul, look forward to some fun racing!

Paul McC likes this.
  18. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Thanks mate! Server now closed for tonight as im off to bed, but will be up and running again tomorrow, come join us on discord!
    Not sure what you mean by convict territory but when i hear he word territory I think Auz? Cheers for the sub mate, much appreciated!

19. Outrun

Outrun Registered

I meant tonight my time which is day time for the Royal folk in Britain. In Australia works out perfectly timing wise. I tried to join your discord however I have yet to successfully join one. I have only just joined Discord so I will work it out before tonight I am sure. Also dont be shy with the drumming on the channel as I do a bit of head whacking myself.

Paul McC likes this.
  20. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

If it's up tonight Aussie time I'll see you on there @Outrun

Paul McC and Outrun like this.