Rain & Puddles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul McC, May 13, 2020.

1. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Has anyone else noticed that RF2 does actually let puddle's build up, wonder if this is something that will be expanded on in future updates like in terms of audio reactions to them and stuff

2. lagg

lagg Registered

It's planned to interact with the physics.
    I don't know about the sound.

Paul McC likes this.
  3. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Cool! How did you find that out?

4. lagg

lagg Registered

I think that it was written in a Roadmap, when S397 implemented the Puddles in the circuits.
    I don't remember exactly when, sorry. 2 years ago?

5. Bernd

Bernd Registered

https://www.studio-397.com/2017/ ;)
    Quote:
    Tracks:

Tracks now have additional reflections, with the real road being redone. Kerbs also reflect correct in wet conditions and now on some tracks we will start to see dynamic puddle buildup, based off research and CAD. Currently these effects do not affect physics, however we intend to build that in as well.

lagg likes this.
  6. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Thank you for finding the quote.

I don't think it will be done in 2 years. S397 is (IMO) relatively uninterested in improving the physics engine.

I regret it a lot.

7. lagg

lagg Registered

You are right.
    It's your opinion

Remco Majoor and DrivingFast like this.
  8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Maybe someday the to do list of S397 gets leaked. :)

9. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

It would be great, I would love to.

And that would partly put an end to certain dissatisfactions each month from their user base.

Or just more specific roadmaps on what is going on, and what is planned in the short/medium/long term.

With certain temporal evaluations on certain achievements to come.

10. dylbie

dylbie Registered

I think they've run out of space on the back of their cigarette packet.

Akela_DE likes this.
  11. Binny

Binny Guest

The best i can hope for is after the UI and b4 the comp system a few of these issues will be dealt with. IMHO it needs to be done b4 comp system is released to the public.

12. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Yes, definitely. :eek:

13. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Putting sounds to going over puddles would be real nice and shouldnt be too hard (well, time consuming perhaps) but since the puddles is in the same places every time i guess you can do something like playing splash sound when going over those areas while a certain amount of water is on the track. Puddles are really loud to drive over "WHOOOSMMHHH!". :D

14. lagg

lagg Registered

I think that this doesn't fit with the way as the realroad works, because it's something dynamic. When the modder paints the puddles indicates the depth of any point too and this will create different puddles with different depths in every part of the puddle. The depth of the puddle will depend on the amount of rain and the amount of cars on track. The sound of the puddles should be as dynamic as the puddles system is

15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes, puddles is texture map, it is not realroad. Most likely there will never be full simulation of puddles. If by some chance it would be somehow linked to vertex colors, then it would require rather detailed realroad mesh, at least locally at places of puddles. It would be awesome together with simulation of viscous hydroplaning too, that I suppose could be linked to other vertex colour, google what it is.

atomed likes this.
  16. Andregee

Andregee Registered

M.Offermans told one day in a stream that the water depth of the puddles interacts with the physics

17. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes, our Monza is prepared for this (when?:rolleyes:)
    Depends on the tone that you use in the puudle map. The darker the tone is, the deeper the puddle is.

18. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

If you can get your hands on it (probably not), I would be interested to see that.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This is a matter of interpretation. The puddles, which are placed by the track modder, appear based on the level of wetness of that part of the track.

The level of wetness determines the grip of the tyre.

So, it can be said the puddles interact with the physics somewhat.

What there isn't, is any sort of aquaplaning which is what deep puddles are all about, and the physics don't change between a section of track that's 80% wet with a puddle drawn on it, and a section 80% wet without a puddle drawn on it.

As for sounds, that's not difficult at all. The game knows how wet the track is, and having an actual water depth (linked to puddles) would only be one more datum to take into account, affecting physics and audio. It's a shame this hasn't happened yet.

20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I would suppose that it could also have been said that appearance of puddles relates to realroad wetness parameters, but realroad doesn't have any functional link to actual location of the puddle. And it is actually same for every part of the track, except where real road is drying. It is quite obvious.

Anyway... rF2 doesn't simulate depth and aquaplaning , also there are no sound effects for wet surface tire rolling sounds, at least I have not noticed. Whole hell lot of features comes with rain, rF2 has just barely scratched the surface. I would criticize choice to use texture puddle maps, I have not made any yet, but I imagine those are maaaaaaaassive textures. Maybe it was only choice. It is bit disappointing it couldn't have been worked out directly though real road, though appearance most likely would have suffered quite a bit. Ideally it could be both.

A bit offtopic, but I am also not a fan of wet interior windshields for a reason that it has to be perfectly featureless then, but I look forward to improved shader one day - dirt, interior reflection, response to shadows from correct direction, rain stuff, no wrong reflections, no overkill of brightness from cars behind at night.