Newbee here, looking for help with rF1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hardrockracer, May 10, 2020.

1. Bernd

Bernd Registered

It's a shadow of itself, yes and it's down very often and full of spam postings.
    But it's no pay site.
    I logged in 2 days ago and downloaded a mod, without any message that i would have to pay for it.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I agree, but you might want to edit the thread title to mention rF1, or you'll keep getting people offering rF2 advice instead.

3. Hardrockracer

Hardrockracer Registered

RFCentral has a free account but you are only limited to 3 free downloads now. If you want to download more a message pops up that you need to upgrade to premium (or whatever they call it). And this costs money.

4. Hardrockracer

Hardrockracer Registered

How do I do that?

5. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Isn't that only for the "1-click installation", as it was in the past?

And to edit the thread title, go to your opening post.
    On the right, above of the opening post is a dropdown "Thread Tools", where you can select "Edit Title".

6. Hardrockracer

Hardrockracer Registered

Unfortunately not, I guess.

7. Tom Lory

Tom Lory Registered

Your post caught my eyes and I spent a minute skimming through it.

We (Efnet Simracing) are in limbo at the moment between our old and new forums but in the next 30 minutes or so I will create an rFactor area on our new forum. It is possible that our old forum will be fixed within the next couple of weeks, if not then the new forum will be slowly built to duplicate the abandoned content back to our transition to rFactor 2 at the beginning of 2020.

New forum: https://efnetsimracing.freeforums.net/

Old forum: http://forum.efnetsimracing.com/

At the moment, If you register for the new forum, I can manually register you for the old one.

There is no hope of reproducing 8+ years of rFactor related content on the new forum but considering our current group of racers, there is well over 100 years worth of rFactor experience between us and we have hundreds of tracks and mods archived privately. There is no reason that we can't create new rF1 content on the new forum but it will have to happen organically in response to new needs.

Very early in my rRactor experience, I started messing around with the performance related "physics" files (hdv, tbc, engine, gears, etc) and was eventually tasked to handle all the Balance of Performance for our various series. It was fun; 900 mph Pantera, Porsche that did wheelies, tricycling Ford Falcon, just scratching the surface, more importantly 4 or 5 groups of very well matched cars.

If you have some basic automobile and physics knowledge and can work with simple text files folders, there's nothing to modifying the performance of cars in rFactor, just save a backup copy of the original file and change any and every parameter that you desire and fire up the sim and test it out.

Creating new cars (duplicates with different skins, drivers and team names) within a mod is a little harder but the same basic copy and edit process, combining cars from various mods is difficult.

To my way of thinking, rFactor 2 has tracks, cars and car sets; no more mods. Any and all cars can be on the same track at one time.

Only cars from within the same rFactor 1 mod can be used at one time, each mod is standalone within rF1. Any track can be used with any mod. You probably already knew all that...

You'll learn more from trial and error in less time than scouring the internet for tutorials and, frankly, none of us are going to have time to produce them from scratch. rFactor 2 is our present and foreseeable future but most of are happy to answer questions that the inquirer has expended due diligence to solve for himself. No lazy questions...

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Emery likes this.
  8. Hardrockracer

Hardrockracer Registered

Thank you for the info. I will head over and register. And yes register me on the old forum. What I understand ist that you are going to transfer the rfactor content of the old forum to the new forum. I will post my requests on the new forum. I am not a hight profile modder. I don't plan to create carsets or tracks. I am just looking at tweaking existing carsets and might need help there. I am looking for the occasional track and maybe help with championships. I am definitely looking for car skins for the various CART/ChampCar mods.

9. Hardrockracer

Hardrockracer Registered

@Tom Lory, OK signed in, account activated, waiting on your approval.

10. Tom Lory

Tom Lory Registered

I won't be able to simply transfer the content from the old forum to the new, different coding. If the old forum cannot be resurrected by our volunteer tech guy, it will abandoned after backing up and archiving all of the data in case someone can do it for us in the future. I can and will manually replicate our rFactor 2 content because it is minimal, mostly just championship related going back 4 months.

I activated you on the new forum. Doing so on the old forum is more involved, I'll have to do that tonight but you can obviously still browse the old forum. Posting is trickier and limited but possible. "Due to technical difficulties, to post you need to: Disable BBCode, Do not automatically parse URLs, Attach a signature." You'll see check boxes in the editor. Having said all, that, I've locked many of the subforums so for now it will better to post questions on the new forum.

11. Hardrockracer

Hardrockracer Registered

Thanks.

12. John Y. Williams

John Y. Williams Registered

hi everyone! i'm new here too and i'm trying to find the best monitor. Can someone help me with this? I found this best gaming monitor under 200. I think maybe take it.

13. Hardrockracer

Hardrockracer Registered

You do know that you are hijacking my thread and the question you are asking has nothing to do with the actual subject. This is not a new member thread nor a thread about monitors. Why not open you own thread.

HRR

14. lagg

lagg Registered

Well....you have hijacked the whole rF2 forum, no? :p

15. Hardrockracer

Hardrockracer Registered

Well, I don't think so. Read my first post: "If this is not the right place.......". I specifically asked for other places to ask my questions. And if you look at my posting history this is actually the only thread I started and posted in. I didn't flood the rF2 forum with rF1 questions. I find it rather surprising that posting rF1 questions "might be frowned upon" as one member posted.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  16. lagg

lagg Registered

Well it was only a joke but it's very similar that you post in a rF2 forum a question about rF1 as posting a question about a monitor in a rF1 thread.
    Both are offtopic. :rolleyes:

17. Hardrockracer

Hardrockracer Registered

If you think that's similar, so be it. I tried my luck here because another person suggested I should give it a try. The thought was that the people that use rF2 might have used rF1 in the past and have the appropriate knowledge of rF1. And that maybe I would find somebody to help me with my questions. If not on the forum then maybe through PMs.

18. lagg

lagg Registered

For me it's ok that you ask here what you want, but it has surprised to me your post telling someone that he has hijacked your thread when you have done the same with the forum.
    My post only tried to show the comic part of this.
    As i've said, ask what you want. I don't have any problems with that.

Goanna likes this.