Newbee here, looking for help with rF1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hardrockracer, May 10, 2020.

1. Hardrockracer

Hardrockracer Registered

Hi, I have signed up here because one of my contacts directed me to this forum and thought I should give it a shot. I did a lot of simracing in the late 90s (mostly ICR2 and later rFactor). Recently I got back into sim racing. But it’s still srictly rFactor 1 for me. Now since rFactorcentral has become a shadow of itself (plus becoming a pay site) in terms of resources and most of the links I find on the internet are dead I would need some information on where I could still find most of the content that used to be on rFactorcentral. And where could I place my questions when it comes to tweaking mods and understanding the infrascruture on the files etc. Any help is appreciated. If this is not the right place for me I would be glad if somebody could direct me to forums or even individuals where I could get information.
    Cheers,
    HRR

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

rFactor1 and rFactor2 are no longer connected. About 3 years ago ISI sold rFactor to a group of employees. The new company is S397 and they only bought the rights to rF2. ISI has moved to other projects and really doesn't support rF1 at all. BUT, there are some sites with an rF1 forum and downloads. Search for Race Department.

3. Emery

Emery Registered

Race Department is your best bet these days as NoGrip went under a couple years ago. Most of the popular mods were converted (and often updated) for Automobilista, which is the last sim you will likely see them in as the world moves on from the 2004-09 gaming era. A few of the later rF1 mods migrated to rF2, but it really is a whole new ballgame these days.

4. Hardrockracer

Hardrockracer Registered

Thank you for the answers. I have already registered to Racedepartment. Are there any other sites you could recommend? What is the exact deal with rFactorcentral these days? Once everything could be found there, but now apart from the fact that it's a pay site, is it true that a lot of modders pulled their files from there and even if I'd pay I wouldn't be able to get a lot of stuff simply because it's not there anymore?

And of course I know that we don't live in 2005 anymore. But I am just getting back to racing again and I have to determine if I still got the fire before even thinking of buying another game and what comes with it.

But what I also hear is, if I had questions on the infrastructure of files from rF1 I would not get answers here even though there is a good chance that a lot of people from the rF1 days moved on to rF2 and contribute here?

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Details become fuzzy with lack of re-inforcement. I could tell you about arranging pit windows, but could not, for the life of me, explain it any longer. You might find a few here, but it might be frowned upon eventually. RD has a dedicated rF1 forum, probably your best bet.

6. Emery

Emery Registered

+1

7. Emery

Emery Registered

Whatever you do, don't pay! If you want something from rFactorcentral, create an account and then you can download it (if the links are still alive). If they insist you pay to create an account, well, forget it. Whether true or not, I've heard multiple stories of identity theft.

Often, though, just asking on Race Department will get you a safe link to download what you're interested in.

atomed likes this.
  8. atomed

atomed Member

9. Hardrockracer

Hardrockracer Registered

Well I can tell you exactly what I am looking for. There are some CART/ChampCar mods by idt and others. Iam looking for cars skins for CCWS 2005, CART Factor and CCWS 2007. Furthermore I am looking for tracks to complete the respective championships for those mods. While I do have quite a lot of tracks I am looking for those that I still don't have. Also I have d/ld several 70s F1 mods. Only 2 have respective track packs that come with them. Where would I get tracks for the other mods? Also I need information on how to create championship files, adding teams to existing carsets and adding cars to existing teams. Any help or direction is appreciated.

10. Hardrockracer

Hardrockracer Registered

I just registered. And you have 3 downloads free. Never would I pay. So I hope I am safe with the identity theft.

11. Hardrockracer

Hardrockracer Registered

12. atomed

atomed Member

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  13. Hardrockracer

Hardrockracer Registered

I saw that already. For some reason the download links don't work.

14. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

@Hardrockracer

Have you tried out rF2 ?

rF2 is incomparably better than rF1 (from almost all points of view).

15. Hardrockracer

Hardrockracer Registered

Why would that be?

16. Hardrockracer

Hardrockracer Registered

No, and I have no intention at the moment. First up, I am just getting started again and don't want to spend money if I am not sure the fire is still there. Also I like having a good old DVD in the PC instead of having to be connected to a platform like steam all the time. And I like being able to make adjustement to mods by myself (proper knowledge assumed). And I don't race online against other people. Nor would I want to do that as it would drive up my frustration level being last all the time.

17. Hardrockracer

Hardrockracer Registered

Btw, Is anybody here who has that rFactor modding tutorial as a .pdf file?

18. lagg

lagg Registered

19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Because this forum is for rF2 which is sold by Studio 397. rF1 was produced by ISI and the two products, are no longer tied together. It would be like joining a Los Angles Dodgers discussion group but only bringing up topics about Brooklyn.

Emery likes this.
  20. Hardrockracer

Hardrockracer Registered

I could see that in terms of the possible point of view of the owners/creators of rF2 but not from the players/forum members. I suspect these people were once playing rFactor1 and maybe later moved on to rF2. They sure have knowledge to pass on to other people. I would rather find it disturbing if someone was annoyed to answer questions about rFactor1 just because I dare to ask them on an rF2 forum. I would not necessarily have to discuss them on the forum. I might as well do this through PMs. But that would take some individual to come forward and signal me he/she would try to help me. As I am digging in that subject again I have found out some things already. Still it would be helpful to have somebody to answer my modding questions.