Guide: Optimal FFB settings for rFactor 2 - The key to being in the "Zone" :D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Thats one of my fav threads on RD actually... Thanks for bringing it up.

I believe that both ways to check the torque are correct in their own way, because two differrent behaviors are tested.

In the end, to me the more realistic scenario is the non-linear result. Which I seem to feel in every sim... that's why I would like to see a tool for this.

DrR1pper likes this.
  2. TechAde

TechAde Registered

That's a really interesting thread. Many (many!) years ago I used a similar home-brew contraption and kitchen scales to measure the torque of a G27 and T500RS (2.5Nm and 5.0Nm respectively, if I remember correctly).

DrR1pper likes this.
  3. fab06

fab06 Registered

hi all

i've got a TS-PC RACER and the FFB give me just all the (heavy) Vertical force (Bumper/flat tires/Bump of track) and nothing on lateral or longitudinal force (dont feel nothing when i turn or slip / nothing when i break and do flat) but i feel the rear of the cars with this steering wheel compare to my old G27..

i have take the ts-pc racer base profile json and i try to change value on it but nothing good for the moment .. so i run on ACC or RRE and the FFB is fine with it but the RF2 FFB is Flat and boring , if someone have find the good Setup to feel something other than the Bump with TS-PC Racer , i will take the value ! !

4. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

That is interesting. That is pretty much what AC feels for me.
    I've been playing around with PC1 and it is amazing how different I can make it feel with it complicated FFB settings.
    Most important is the braking traction point from side to side. And without it, it just feels like an icy slide, which is what AC feels like to me.
    I would like to try some different setups for sure.
    Sorry I can't help with rF2. It just works for me.

5. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Try these settings

1. Thrusmaster Control Panel

1.1. Overall forces = 100%

1.2. Contant and Periodic = 100%

1.3. Spring and Damper = 0%

2. Ingame settings

2.1. Filter = 0 (OFF)

2.2. Vehicle set = yes

2.3. Car Specific FFB Mult = put a number wich allow very low clipping for the car.

2.4. FFB Min Torque : depends of the wheel + the overall forces.

deni80s likes this.
  6. fab06

fab06 Registered

it s not really different from what i have .. still missing the first force i need in a sim : the Grip/Slip force ( lat/long ) ! !

is someone can explain me or know a tutorial for setup the different force in the Json ? ?

i have change this value :
    "Force Feedback":{
    "Brake effects on steer axis":1,
    "Brake effects on steer axis#":"0 = Brake effects on brake axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.",
    "Brake effects strength":-10000,
    "Brake effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all brake effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
    "Brake spring coefficient":0.8,
    "Brake spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Brake spring saturation":1,
    "Brake spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",

But with no effect in the steering wheel

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  7. Comante

Comante Registered

I think most of those lines are leftover of ancient FFB technology. At the present moment RF2 FFB "simply" transfer the torque on the steering rack, a force that is calculated by physic engine, without baked effects to enrich it. For this reason those lines have no impact on FFB, there is no baked "braking" effect. and so on.

sherpa25 likes this.
  8. fab06

fab06 Registered

ok .. if i understand you , Without a DD , i can go run in ACC/RRE and all others Sim but i will never had a good FFB on RF2 with my basic steering wheel ? ?
    :cool: :confused:

9. Comante

Comante Registered

I have a G27 too, yes it's old, yes it's quite weak, but you can still squeeze out a lot of fun from your G27 just tweaking some basic setting, : FFB multiplier and minimum torque (within RF2).
    So, revert to the default setting in all those files you messed up.
    then, depending on the car, you will set the FFB multiplier somewhere around 0.65 . minimum force may depend a bit on the condition of your wheel, I set mine at 8%.
    In the logitech profiler the force is 100% and all other values are set to zero.

I think this is probably the best you can do to your wheel to have a meaningful FFB range. I honestly would like to have the money to buy a more modern and powerful wheel, but in all honesty, a better wheel won't make me faster, and FFB is quite entertaining even if it's not too strong.
    BUT depending on content (car/track) you can raise the FFB multi a bit here and there, truth is: modern racetrack with modern racecar are FFB boring, at least on the straights, this because our wheels can't make us feel those subtle forces. Or better, you could feel them but at the first turn the wheel would be FFB saturated and you won't get nothing useful from it. Tracks like Sebring or Nurburging (the long track, not the F1 part) are very rich and detailed even for us weak wheels owners. So do not despair, there is hope even for us. :D

jimagn likes this.
  10. ZooMinMIr-TjC.

ZooMinMIr-TjC. Registered

I have to say, i just stumbled on this last night, I have not been playing rF2 because it was a nightmare with my (g27).... So, Lately, i been Playing Race Room Exp... after studying it for a few hours, I incorporated all this Knowledge into RR, I can't believe Ive been racing since 2010 with junk wheel settings, i always knew there was a proven way, It's like a whole new GAME!!! Once i understood the art of it, I now have mine precise!.It's Unbelievable! I could always hit the hot laps but now, i can run hard the whole race and tires are MINT still!! i haven't got used to the degrees of rotation but in dew time i will, its how u got to do it!! I will say i left the profiler @900 but in game I found having it at 270 is about perfect for me, with car degree rotation @233 SteerLock I run @ 12. Also i Play with the cars Return Multiplyer and find a average of 1.3.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK ON THIS, It's Litterley Changed MY LIFE! lol Here's what i did, for RR i have yet to load up rF2, cant wait because it is the BEST SIM , i strongly beleive that.
    final2.jpg

DrR1pper likes this.
  11. ZooMinMIr-TjC.

ZooMinMIr-TjC. Registered

Juergen-BY likes this.
  12. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

13. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I had G27 and AFAIK minimum force should be around 16%. Even with 12% force sent it won't generate any force.

14. Comante

Comante Registered

I recently tried to increase global force in the logitech profiler to 102 / 105% .. this allowed me to reduce minimum torque in RF2 to 0.5%
    Overall feel surely improved.

DrR1pper likes this.
  15. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Now you just have to work out why your screenshot is basically out of focus even when viewing it full size. :confused:
    Yes, I have my custom focal correctors on and they are clean. ;)

16. Comante

Comante Registered

Also remember that G27 has two motors, but when the wheel is straight, only one works. This is made to avoid the motors fighting eachother , but the consequence is that when straight, the wheel will always feel light and deadish. You have to live with it. Yes, you can increase forces to feel more the weight of the wheel when straight, but at only 2.5NM total force, you will lose the details and the force where they matter more : during turns.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

On mine I ended up at 6-8. At 10 and above I could feel the 'notch' or jolt between chicanes, or even on turn-in if I was steering slightly away on the approach. I prefer that subtle feeling rather than the "turn it up until it just about moves itself" method.

@Comante minimum torque shouldn't really impact corner feel (like excessive FFB Mult would). Even at 15% it's only a minor reduction of variation at the top end.

18. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I tested with a wheelcheck and mine started generating force at 16%, but yeah it’s not most accurate tool. On RD guy used in-house method to measure forces using kitchen scale and results for T300 were much different.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Exactly - wheelcheck is the wheel moving itself. It's actually a higher force than that which you can feel with your hands on the wheel.

The kitchen scale belongs to the linearity discussion, which we've had elsewhere on this forum.

20. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Hello, I joined this forum a while ago but bought the game only recently.

I am struggling with one aspect of the FFB which is the somehow vague wheel center feeling, generic with a vast majority of the cars I drive, and also the somehow exaggerated light wheel in under-steering situations especially happening on open wheelers.

I am a TS PC RACER owner, great wheel btw, and I have managed to tune FFB custom files to match my taste in other Sims namely RRE, AC or PC2 but I cant find amy clear info at what to tune in the json file to improve these 2 aspects, wherever possible obviously, in RF2.

any assistance is much appreciated

Olivier

"Device Name 1":"TS-PC Racer=#044fb689#F48601B0-28EB-11EA-8001-444553540000",
    "Device Name 2":"FANATEC ClubSport USB Adapter (pedals mode)=#0eb71a95#860E0700-2837-11EA-8001-444553540000",
    "Device Name 3":"",
    "Device Name 4":"",
    "Device Name 5":"",
    "Device Name 6":"",
    "Device Name 7":"",
    "Device Name 8":""
    },
    "Force Feedback":{
    "Brake effects on steer axis":0,
    "Brake effects on steer axis#":"0 = Brake effects on brake axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.",
    "Brake effects strength":10000,
    "Brake effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all brake effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
    "Brake spring coefficient":0.3,
    "Brake spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Brake spring saturation":1,
    "Brake spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",
    "Clutch effects on steer axis":0,
    "Clutch effects on steer axis#":"0 = Clutch effects on clutch axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.",
    "Clutch effects strength":10000,
    "Clutch effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all clutch effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
    "Clutch spring coefficient":0.2,
    "Clutch spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Clutch spring saturation":1,
    "Clutch spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",
    "G920_workaround":true,
    "G920_workaround#":"Workaround for Logitech G920 firmware bugs ... may need to turn this off after firmware update if it gets fixed.",
    "Gearbox effects on steer axis":0,
    "Gearbox effects on steer axis#":"0 = Gearbox effects on gearbox 'axis', 1 = brake effects on steering axis.",
    "Gearbox effects strength":10000,
    "Gearbox effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all gearbox effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
    "Gearbox spring coefficient":0,
    "Gearbox spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Gearbox spring saturation":1,
    "Gearbox spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",
    "Ignore controllers":0,
    "Ignore controllers#":"Do not use FFB on: 1=controller1, 2=controller2, 4=controller3, 8=controller4 (or add values to ignore multiple controllers, for example 15 ignores all)",
    "Jolt magnitude":1.5,
    "Jolt magnitude#":"How strong jolts from other cars (or walls) are. Suggested Range: -2.0 to 2.0.",
    "Off-road multiplier":0.3,
    "Off-road multiplier#":"Temporary test variable to reduce force feedback strength off-road (0.0 = zero FFB, 1.0 = full FFB)",
    "Other spring coefficient":0.2,
    "Other spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0) for any other FFB-capable controllers",
    "Other spring saturation":1,
    "Other spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0) for any other FFB-capable controllers",
    "Rumble strip magnitude":0,
    "Rumble strip magnitude#":"How strong the canned rumble strip rumble is. Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.",
    "Rumble strip pull factor":1.5,
    "Rumble strip pull factor#":"How strongly wheel pulls right\/left when running over a rumble strip. Suggested range: -1.5 to 1.5.",
    "Rumble strip update thresh":0.05,
    "Rumble strip update thresh#":"Amount of change required to update rumble strip effect (0.0 - 1.0)",
    "Rumble strip wave type":0,
    "Rumble strip wave type#":"Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.",
    "Steering effects strength":-10000,
    "Steering effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all steering effects (torque, resistance, static spring, jolt, etc.)",
    "Steering resistance coefficient":0.1,
    "Steering resistance coefficient#":"Coefficient to use for steering resistance. Range: -1.0 to 1.0",
    "Steering resistance saturation":0.1,
    "Steering resistance saturation#":"Saturation value to use for steering resistance. Range: 0 - 1.0",
    "Steering resistance type":0,
    "Steering resistance type#":"0=use damping, 1=use friction",
    "Steering spring coefficient":0,
    "Steering spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Steering spring saturation":0.1,
    "Steering spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",
    "Steering torque capability":2.5,
    "Steering torque capability#":"The maximum torque capability of the wheel (in Nm, obviously)",
    "Steering torque extrap blend":0,
    "Steering torque extrap blend#":"Higher blends of extrapolated value allows driver to feel torque changes even when actual torque exceeds 'input max' (0.0=disables, 1.0=max)",
    "Steering torque extrap time":0.015,
    "Steering torque extrap time#":"Time in seconds to extrapolate steering torque based on current change (Range: 0.001 to 0.050. To disable, set 'blend' to 0.0)",
    "Steering torque filter":4,
    "Steering torque filter#":"Number of old samples to use to filter torque from vehicle's steering column (0-32, note that higher values increase effective latency)",
    "Steering torque minimum":0,
    "Steering torque minimum#":"Minimum torque to apply in either direction to overcome steering wheel's 'FFB deadzone' caused by friction",
    "Steering torque per-vehicle mult":1,
    "Steering torque per-vehicle mult#":"Per-vehicle steering column torque multiplier (this is a copy of the .CCH value)",
    "Steering torque sensitivity":1,
    "Steering torque sensitivity#":"Sensitivity curve applied to representable torques: 0.0=low 1.0=linear 2.0=high",
    "Steering torque zero-speed mult":0.3,
    "Steering torque zero-speed mult#":"Multiplier at zero speed to reduce unwanted oscillation from strong static aligning torque",
    "Test_workaround":true,
    "Test_workaround#":"Workaround for apparent driver CTD on release",
    "Throttle effects on steer axis":0,
    "Throttle effects on steer axis#":"0 = Throttle effects on throttle axis, 1 = throttle effects on steering axis.",
    "Throttle effects strength":10000,
    "Throttle effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all throttle effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
    "Throttle spring coefficient":0.1,
    "Throttle spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Throttle spring saturation":1,
    "Throttle spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",
    "Type":1,
    "Type#":"Type of force feedback: 0=off 1=wheel 2=joystick 3=rumble\/gamepad 4=custom",
    "Use thread":false,
    "Use thread#":"Use a separate thread to issue FFB commands which may block with some drivers"