Latest Roadmap Update - April 2020

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Comante

Comante Registered

Even more if you are forced to work on the code made by Someone else. Coding convention are not mandatory to make the program run, you can write an indecipherable code that once compiled work perfectly, but is ostrogoth for someone else to read, and with different parts mixed and interwined together.

Adam Helyes, Marisa and TJones like this.
  2. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

He did not have to implement a html rendering engine, thanks for his sanity and for us to see the new UI this century. The new UI use some embeddable version of Chrome. Still a lot of work.

3. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

I think it is pretty obvious that development of this title is pretty slow. If you are arguing against that you really need a reality check. I am surprised to hear that only 1 guy is making the UI. I wonder why when there are roughly 15 coders and 15 content makers in the company. I hear all the time that other parts of the core sim are not being developed because of the UI job. But there are plenty ppl available to look at the AI issues etc then? You seem to have a lot of insight - do you know what the other coders have been doing the last 3 years?

Ariff, LokiD and Marisa like this.
  4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Not arguing against it at all, compared to some other Sims it is "different" and in some peoples eyes that is "slow", but they don't have the first clue about what's going on behind the scenes to class anything as "slow" in any Sims development as they are merely Armchair Experts not Game Developers in any way shape or form .
    I mean should we all look at RaceRoom who only released Working Flags into the game in recent years?!? How's that for "slow"? What about iRacings Tire Model? How many years to get to NTM7 which is still not right (personal opinions aside) after how many years of development?. AC/ACC and their AI which is still not very good, how many years and it's not even on par with the stalled RF2 AI?
    Who made up the rules about Development Speed of a Racing Simulator in the first place? You? The whiny Usual Suspects on this forum who come back week after week to have a cry & a moan? Whose to say that Fast = Good? or Slow = Bad?

Reality check yourself mate ;)

pkelly and jayarrbee36 like this.
  5. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think what people are confusing are update cycles and development speed. Updates do appear indeed pretty slow, but that doesn't mean that the devs are lazy, not competent or other things that people seem to sling around so easily. If I would have to make a guess, I would say that a big part of the team is busy with the competition system. Other often mentioned fields that are the graphics pipeline, content production and maintanance and the general implementation of new features and bug fixing that is in an ongoing process. Marcel mentioned issues with the packaging system that needed to be fixed and held up everything else pretty much. That's just one example and I think it shows that you will run quickly into obstacles if you have to work with a team of 15 people who are rewriting big parts of the code while ensuring that they don't break anything and that everything works together nicely. I mean, I prefer being able to use content that was produced in the past, while other people complain about it. Then you have shifting focus due to stuff like the current pandemic situation, new partnerships with different manufactuers, series and lisencing and other projects like the Grand Tour game for example. Most of the stuff get's mentioned on a regular base, some of the stuff doesn't get mentioned or later on due to lisencing agreements. And unless you are involved in that whole process, it's a far stretch to make any judgement.

6. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

To all :

This discussion started by opposing opinions and others what can be healthy.

But gradually it became a personal matter between users.

We all have the same passion/leisure, the same choice of software to satisfy this passion/leisure (generally essentially rF2, exclusively or in sharing with other simulations), and we are all generally passionate.

So it's true that we are different types of users (for example offline/online) and that our priorities are different, and that our opinions on rF2, on S397 and on what a car simulation should be different.

But I think that we must stop the confrontations between users, who have as many differences as commonalities.

pkelly and delapecs like this.
  7. Ariff

Ariff Registered

They broke the AI throttle/brake behavior in build 1110, how did that get past quality assurance? Sorry if youre mad.

8. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I am not mad. :D

Sure, that slipped and it would be nice to see it fixed asap. But it isn't a real showstopper that breaks the game, thus other issues get priority. And diving into stuff like the freezes where it's propably harder to really find the roots of all issues delays stuff like that. People also seem to get the impression that the freezes are an easy fix, but there can be several reasons that cause bugs with the same outcome. The AI throttle behaviour is an immersion breaker, there is no question. And this makes it even more surprising that they mentioned it earlier in the roadmaps compared to stuff like FCY, because that really breaks the game. You see, I have my own priorities and wishes for this sim. But this wouldn't lead me to make a judgement about pace of development or if they are right or wrong with their business model. If I think that there is a better alternative for a high fidely sandbox like rF2 then I will propably drop it. But I haven't come around one ;)

9. Ariff

Ariff Registered

But its a real showstopper for me :(
    Its fine anyways, im using build 1109 for the meantime until its fixed.

10. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Dont need to be anything to realise it's slow just a bit of logic mate. It's clear and its known by many sim fans across the board that's a fact

Yes it could be for many factors behind closed doors why it's slow. But the fact is compared to the rest of the world it's slow.

But like you... bored of the whiners I'm bored with the nieve and the waiting.

I understand your pov wish you could understand ours.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Mibrandt and Ariff like this.
  11. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Ok lets Call the pace of development “different” instead of slow then o_O I dont know what goes on behind the scenes you are right about that. You Seem to do on the Other hand. So could you please enlighten me about the 14 other coders? What have they been working on for the last 3 years?

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I only repeated what Marcel has said elsewhere about the UI, you'll have to ask him about the other coders if it bothers you that much. Personally I just let them get on with what they're doing with their game and enjoy the benefits thereafter, about time you lot did the same really.

13. LokiD

LokiD Registered

i just enjoyed race after race of the ai smashing into the wall on the new zandvoort in the start. I mean this couldnt of been picked up in QA??

And this is exactly what we mean about rf2, its flaws are tiresome.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    DaREALMastaD likes this.
  14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You think they even tasked someone with testing vs the AI? NOT THEIR FOCUS!!! They just want to be the first to use it on the Telly for Esports.

Remco Majoor and Ariff like this.
  15. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Just read your reply and my heart sank, because that is exactly spot on.

F me.

I may as well just walk away from rf2. Theres nothing for me here now i feel like "Luke on tattoine".

16. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

Because promotion is the highest priority for every product in the world?

17. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

The focus of S397 is online.

I regret this because I wish both onliners and offliners had what they wanted.

It is really not a good thing to leave a certain type of users.

Having said that, it's just a feeling.

I am hopeful that certain aspects of offline will be worked on in the short and medium term, because there is a very high demand.

Even on the official forum we see it, but on the other forums it shows even more.

How could they ignore it ?
    I am confident that all types of users are satisfied.

18. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

iRacing recently implemented offline race mode. It's obvious to me that no sim can live without it, and S397 knows it very well.

19. stonec

stonec Registered

I don't know where you got the "14 coders" from, but without having any inside information, it's pretty obvious there are no 14 other coders. 14 people maybe altogether, including people who work on art, content , licenses, etc. I don't think even Kunos has 14 people working purely as coders and ISI had around five, we are talking about very small software studios for most of these titles.

20. Ariff

Ariff Registered

Its sad, im sad. Now gimme the AI fixxxxxxxx :((((((((, ok ill stop guys lol. Its hard for me to justify watching simracing esports, when I could watch real life racing, but its ok during this covid time. I personally tryhard my ass off in some rf2 esports leagues, but I dont really think people give a damn to even watch the league im racing in (FSR, somewhat popular for rf2 drivers), and to genuinely follow it throughout a season. Most viewers come from the playerbase of the game/league anyways. I would much rather watch the dota internationals and follow it, because theres nothing like it in the real world. Doesnt apply to only dota, but other esports as well. Maybe im the only one who feels like this, i dunno.