Latest Roadmap Update - April 2020

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Apr 30, 2020.

1. AMillward

AMillward Registered

People need to remember that a roadmap is a "this is what we're doing" and is NOT an itinery of when exactly stuff is going to come out.

And this gets said every month. Maybe Mars needs to whack a disclaimer in there :p

2. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Exactly. A Roadmap is a status what is worked on and at best a honest best guess when things are finished and get released. But i start to strongly question to give that information to customers (end users). Cause people everyday in that business know how to take that information. But customers not working in that (software development) business simply just don't know.

Maybe it is simply better to not tell rF2 customers that LeMans track is already in the works for 3 years. And just tell them on release. In that case S397 communicated to customers exactly that (no mention of LeMans in the 36 roadmaps before).

On the other side, wouldn't S397 told me as a customer that Nordschleife is in the works one year before release, i probably would have gave up my simracing hobby and sold all my equipment. (no joke! S397 Nordschleife announcement was the
    reason to not give up my hobby)

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    atomed likes this.
  3. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  4. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I have Just read the first page of posts at RD. And to me those posts are very positive. Just to pick out one post "UI or not, just had a blast with the BMW M2 on the short layouts of Sebring, in ways no other sim can match..."
    Other posts saying something similar.

Remco Majoor, atomed and LokiD like this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I read the roadmap. Nothing happening right now, work ongoing. Move on.

100% sure it would turn into the usual s##tfight in here. Pointless.

6. Goanna

Goanna Registered

@Lazza something is wrong with your “h” and “i” keys matey :D :D

Remco Majoor, JimmyT and Lazza like this.
  7. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

wth did I just read?

VirusGR42 likes this.
  8. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

The world is in a catastrophe, but one thing remains the same as before, the critics rattle off their constant babbling. But I still have a question: I find pretty much all other simulations on the market rather average, but do I have to register in all forums and try to tell everyone about it?

About the roadmap, yes it's not really a roadmap, but it's not really a normal time either. Thanks for the roadmap and for your work on RF2. I'm having so much fun with RF2 that I can live with the fact that not everything goes so fast. I hope the new content will come soon.

9. Patrick Schumacher

Patrick Schumacher Registered

Who defines the roadmap? Probably S397. ;)

Waiting is hard, but I'm happy we can enjoy this sim and it's still in development.

Cangrejo likes this.
  10. Ariff

Ariff Registered

Still waiting for a fix of the ai erratic throttle/brake behavior that was mentioned in past few 3 roadmaps.
    Just hoping they would do this one fix to revert the ai changes made in build 1110. Just one fix, one fix.... thats all.

Hope everything is fine at s397. Still dont know what to think of the development so far.... is it a dead game??? nahhh maybe not, but wait... hmm I dunno.

Marisa likes this.
  11. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

I can't think of anything I have ever spent so little on thats given so much in return as rFactor2.

Interesting to hear the story on how the deal between ISI and S397 began. ISI was an innovation based business and a single application like rFactor2 is more of a product so it makes sense. As for the UI update it's not going to be a major part of the earnings so I am content to wait for the Freebie, or if there was a fee to cover the cost of additional software engineer's wages I suppose I would be happy to pay for for expediting, although I doubt many others would.

12. williang83

williang83 Registered

Fanboy-ism at its finest. There is no room for interpretation here, whatever reason it might be, THEY ARE EXTREMELY SLOW. Full games are developed in the time taken to develop the UI, actually way way way way more complex game are done in 4-6 years with extremely better results. There is little to debate here, this is a fact whether you like or not.

13. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

Ok, now that this assessment comes from an expert in game development I have to believe it

14. Ariff

Ariff Registered

Its still slow... its the truth.

Marisa likes this.
  15. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Ok, wich racing sim that offers the exact same set of features, diversity and complexity was developed in the last couple of years and offers better results? Don't even try to answer, because we both know the answer. Games aren't games and there are alot of factors that play into this and you as a diehard game dev should know this. Fact is, you don't know the circumstances wich makes your statement just what it is - sharing halfknowledge. And calling people fanboyz just makes you look even more like somebody who has the perfect view on things :)

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

We're all fans of Sims, calling people out for being Fanboys is incredible redundant. The UI was developed by 1 guy for a majority of the process (up until recently), a whole game is developed by a lot more than 1 guy (ACC for example, AMS2 for example). Sure the UI has taken a while but the Devs have stated across the board that this is a lot lot more than "just" a UI, there's a lot of underlying elements involved in the whole process, but don't let facts get in the way of a good old fashioned rant eh?!

17. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

Can you be the first person ever to define what the "correct" pace of development would be, and thereby give your "EXTREMELY SLOW" claim a meaningful context?

I'll wait.

Cangrejo likes this.
  18. lagg

lagg Registered

Can't understand some people.
    There are a lot of options in simracing nowadays, with different visions, preferences, etc.
    Why to use one if you don't like?
    Why to post from time to time the same complaints in every post?
    Don't you get tired?

19. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

I have spent more than 8 years and 1500 hours dedicated to rf2. I think I have amortized it more than enough. But I want more updates :)

20. TJones

TJones Registered

While i still think that core development is a bit to slow to ATM to compete with other sims (especially ACC).
    We shouldn't judge about things we, or at least most of us don't know much about. All those statements about development pace are very subjective. If the most of the implementation of new UI really has been done by one guy only, those four years seems at least somehow understandable. Considering he has to implement a HTML rendering engine, thread queue to solve concurrency issues and what ever necessary. There must have been some mayor drawbacks in this process, which isn't unusual if someone has to do things the first time.
    The devs from S397 don't have the long time sim/game development background like some other competitors.
    Would be interesting to hear the actual size of dev team (coders). I do (or better say try) a little bit of coding myself, still on a very basic level, but i somehow feel with the devs a bit. Coding is not always fun, especially if you're forced to deliver.

I think we should communicate to/about those who actually do the job in a respectful way!