Regional pricing for DLCs

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Matheus Machado, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Matheus Machado

Matheus Machado Registered

Leaving the rest of your post aside, since others already pointed out it doesn’t make any sense.

What you said here does not make any sense considering what happens today. Back then indeed the game was more expensive, but there was no DLC, and today any official competition, or serious league uses DLCs, so it is an integral part of the game. Unless you want to do single player races on “old” content.

I think it was already said there is no regional pricing because they opted to sell their dlc as items on steam, and there is no support for that when you publish like that. Another reason to move away from it.

Also, back then there were no other sims with the same proposal to rf2 but very different price tags. The migration to steam was really great at the time, I even bought the game again, since it was cheaper than migrating from the yearly subscription license, exactly because of regional prices.

This thing is about pricing your product accordingly to the market, and currently in Brazil, rF2 additional content is more expensive than it should be, considering the competition.

Forza_GaRy likes this.
  2. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I see your screen shot and raise you one.
    Challenge.jpg
    upload_2020-5-2_7-9-31.png

So, like I said, the Challenge pack is only a couple of dollars more than the GT pack for ACC in AU$ and furthermore the ACC GT pack cost me cart loads more than it cost anyone in Brazil (when you take currency conversion into account).
    So your original argument, that S397 DLC is not as well priced due to not having regional pricing, seems to only stand up in Brazil. Here in Australia I can say "it appears that, due to regional pricing, ACC is using the money I spend on DLC to subsidise their punters in Brazil". Why should I be subsidising punters I don't even know? I have to work hard for my money too.
    And my argument would have as little traction as your's.
    The only correct argument seems to be, It would appear that they all use different business models to get OUR MONEY. Or that S397 are not alone in overcharging for the DLC.
    I resent that you're singling S397 out when there is evidence that they're not the only ones charging what some people think is too much, and that's why I'm not pulling my head in as I should.;)
    I'm not convinced you're right is what I'm saying.o_O

3. Matheus Machado

Exactly my point. Although I still can't get how 4 laser scanned tracks in ACC can cost almost as much as a single track in rF2, but that is not up for discussion here.

4. Matheus Machado

upload_2020-5-1_21-45-37.png
    That is the price history for AMS 1 season pass in Brazil. That is all DLCs available for the game. Highest ever price was 99BRL. That is Le mans and a car (BMW M2 or any other standalone) in rF2. So, no DLC of AMS 1 has never had a higher price than rF2 DLC.

And regarding AMS2 price tag, even in the beta backers period Reiza had different prices for the brazillian market, because they know to be competitive in the brazilian market you can't charge the european amount and just convert it.
    upload_2020-5-1_21-50-24.png
    upload_2020-5-1_21-50-46.png
    As you see, I am not complaining about the base price. I just want that DLC is priced accordingly as it is with any other steam based simulator in the market.

5. FS7

FS7 Registered

For people who live in Brazil and pay in BR AMS2 + season pass at full price is cheaper than rF2 + all DLC packs. For people who had AMS1 + season pass they had the option to get AMS2 + season pass even cheaper if they bought the bundle during the early beta period.
    So it's not really logical to compare prices for AMS2 & rF2 content imo. rF2 base price is very reasonable, it's only the DLC that's expensive when compared to prices of other games and their content in Brazil.

6. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Registered

Hello everyone.
    I am an Italian who is living in Argentina, I bought Rf2 with steam. The base price is comparable to a pizza. The price of a dlc are comparable to 3. ** Nothing over the top. The serious problem is the prices of the steering wheels which can reach 4 months' salary, too bad.
    For me, the problem is not this. the problem after buying rf2 (and the second time in years, the first in Italy), is the complete vacuum, especially for those who play offline. No league, no series. Nothing. Not even an easy way to make Hot Laps. Well, I'm used to suffering, I come from Live for Speed (And I still use it a lot) It seems I like problematic Sims;)

** Pizza is the wordwide official comparative item .

P.s. for the Brazilian friend, In Argentina + 30% tax must be added for foreign purchases via Credit Card .

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    jlnprssnr likes this.
  7. Matheus Machado

It is 9% here, but if you buy using national payment methods via steam, you don’t have any tax added.

8. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Registered

Unfortunately, all foreign services pay the tax, whatever the method of paymento_O (Netflix, spotify, Ditigital ocean, Godaddy,Steam).

9. Forza_GaRy

Forza_GaRy Registered

Pure speculation, but I think that because of the item system instead of DLC it is not possible to create regional pricing for DLC. That is quite a shame for anyone who isn't so privileged to grow up in a high currency value economy and surely a turn-off toward the competition.

I don't understand why some people here seem so hostile against regional pricing, it's better to sell 1000 units at 20% of the price than 50 units at 100% for a fixed production cost and it helps grow the playerbase. I bet all of these people complaining about it would be moaning if the DLC was 5x more expensive in their region even though they have 10x the disposable income.

10. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think noone is against regional pricing per se. The question is if the developer can afford it and in that regard the comparisons to other devs are lacking a bit just skimming through this topic. First of all AC isn't developed anymore so there aren't any development costs connected to it and it's quite safe to say that it broke even long time ago. Kunos selling it for peanuts right now is a sign that they did something right I guess. ACC isn't published by Kunos but a big publisher having sales of allmost 40 Mio $ a year, so they have more leeway to drop their pricing to a minimum - same as McDonalds will drop their prices to a minimum compared to your local Burger shop (that's not an analogy regarding quality btw). If you have a much bigger market share and budget you simply have more options to configure the pricing and essentialy try to push out smaller competitors. Same principles apply to PC2 with SMS being a big developer being funded by big publishers throughout the whole history of that studio. It's a bit like Ford vs Ferrari.

There are other smaller studios comparable to S397. S3 and Reiza are propably similar in terms of operating size and structure and I wouldn't call their pricing cheap either, especialy looking at the micro transactions for R3E. Next to that S397 has inhouse competition by offering free 3rd party content in the workshop wich can work both ways: it helps selling your core product but it's also another form of competition for the payed DLCs as people could in theory use free alternatives for most of the tracks that are sold, wich is good for us as they have to rise the quality. To sum it up: there are alot of factors to be taken into account for regional pricing and it's not just comparing numbers from studio A compared to studio B. I am 100% sure that rF2 DLC prices will drop over time and the big packs offered recently are a first sign for this. I certainly payed more for the individual tracks than people who got the packs in the last summer sale. Same as I didn't get AC for 9 Euro and there is nothing wrong with that. :)