i5 4690K vs i5 9600K

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Mark Fuller, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Seeking advice about whether an upgrade from an i5 4690K [Socket 1150] to an i5 9600K [Socket 1151] would justify a price tag in the region of £450? I am currently running a GeForce Strix 1080 Ti.

Constructive thoughts welcome.

mister dog likes this.
  2. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I have i7 9700K, really easily OC to 4,9Ghz without knowledge in overclocking and it is very good for in France less than 500 euros.

3. JRS

JRS Registered

For a couple hundred $ more you can get a 9900K. From i5 to a slighty better i5. Not worth the $ imo.

4. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I know sweet FA about this, but does going from 1150 to 1151 socket cpu entail having to buy a 1151 socket capable motherboard as well?

5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Yes and maybe ram

6. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Yes, the £450 price is for a new MOBO, CPU and RAM. I only play rF2 [in VR] and just trying to gauge if the change would be worth it performance wise.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

I recently upgraded from quad core i5 to Ryzen 5 3600 and felt like it provided a notable improvement in smoothness in AAA and some esports titles plus improvement of loading times. In racing sims not so much, race sims are not really taking advantage of beyond four cores currently. But then again you can now get brand new six core CPU's for almost the same price as a used i7 4790K, so the choice isn't very obvious to me.

mister dog likes this.
  8. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Good advice :) Would save having to change MOBO/RAM as well

9. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

I thought that most sims, in particular rF2, only used 1 thread.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, in fact rF2 uses 2 threads, and some of the shadow code was moved into other threads a few years back as well so there's some benefit to having at least 3.

I don't think the proposed upgrade is any use, and even the i7 I wouldn't bother unless you're going to use something that'll benefit from more than 4 cores - which isn't nearly any game. The main reason to upgrade a system, if not moving to VR or currently having issues, would be if it doesn't support PCIe 3.0 x 16. Less than that is a real bottleneck.

11. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@Lazza That was what I was thinking was likely to be the case, but it's good to have it confirmed. At the moment, my system seems to be running rF2 well, but am conscious that my CPU is currently the weakest area.

12. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Right now I'm not recommending Intel CPU's.

Recommend a change from 4690k to 4790k is a even worse idea. I'm running a 1080TI too, with a 3770K @ 4.5, SSD and 16GB DDR3, I play @ 5760x1080 and right know there's already a simulator that is completely bootlenecked by this DDR3 platform, even at these resolution! Assetto Corsa... With 20 AI I get 50fps with my card running only at 60/70% usage.

I have assembled some PC's recently to my clients and the smothness of all DDR4 platform, even on desktop, is astonishing compared with my system.

Now, moving to DDR4 platform, there's another important fact... Right now AMD platform is much smarter choice than Intel.
    If your idea was the 9600k, in Portugal for less 20€ you can buy a 2700x, that is 10/15% slower in games but crush Intel 9600K, sometimes by more than 50%, in almost everything else.
    JRS was suggesting the 9900K, but for the same money you can get a 3900x, that once again, is 5% slower than the first in most games, but beats 9900K in almost all multithread operations by far, so...

For me, at the moment, AMD is the right choice for a CPU platform. I don't care if I only have 100fps instead of 105fps, if i'm faster in everything else. ;)

That's my 2 cents guys :cool:

13. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

OP stated he only plays rF2 and in VR, so suggesting moving to a slower platform for its multithread performance seems a little ummm.. Backwards.
    The fastest single core processor with more than 3 cores will be the best bet. The 9600k would be a good choice if only ever consider playing rF2 even in the future, if you may play any other newer title that 6 core certainly wouldn't be my choice.

8 cores plus multithreading would be best bet for other future games and always with the fastest single core as some games will still prefer clock speed over cores.

But for solely rF2, I'd push {overclock) your current system as high as possible or find the cheapest 5GHz possible processor. I could get 4.8GHz out of my 6600k, the 8600k can quite easily do 5GHz as can the 9600k OP mentioned, probably avoid the 9700k as if your going to spend that much money, you may as well push for the hyperthreading of the 9900k or take the performance hit and get the Ryzen.

There is a lot to consider as it's not exactly a cheap upgrade and atm anything 6th gen to current isn't all that different around the 4 core performance.

I didn't help but had to share my option ;p

14. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  15. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

@Mark Fuller before buying just try to push overclock bit higher than that 4.2ghz, it will go 4.6-4.7ghz and ram overclocking or at least tightening ram timings would give you lot, also pumping 1080ti memory ~12ghz gives lot more juice to play vr. Guessing at there's easy 10-25% improvement waiting just by overclocking more your current setup.

16. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@OdeFinn Thanks for your advice. I'd love to give the CPU overclocking through the BIOS a go, but don't know what I am doing. I am aware that to get to 4.5 GHz would require 1.25v and 1.8 input voltage, but when I tried earlier, my PC would not even boot into the BIOS. I eventually recovered it by clearing the CMOS. The available options in the BIOS are a minefield for someone like me and is probably best for me to leave alone. I am running a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming7 MOBO and wonder if it is up to the job. I will do some further research.

17. mister dog

mister dog Registered

I've been running an i5 4590 since 2015, good for racing sims still more or less but in other games you notice it's ageing and has difficulties keeping up at times. Seeing I only know the basics about CPU's and not much about how different types compare to eachother this thread is very useful. :)

18. NunoPinto

NunoPinto Registered

Don't forget that rF2 is a platform that is always evolving. Right now it takes advantage of 4 cores I think, maybe in 2 years it will move to more. So buying a 6core, 6thread processor I don't know if it is a smart idea. But anyway a 9600k is a good processor, I wouldn't buy it but its good.

19. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1411077-haswell-overclocking-guide-statistics.html
    That will lead you on OC path. :)
    Preferring to check also how to oc memory.

20. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@OdeFinn I have managed to work out how to OC my CPU properly. Still need to try some things out as I can get it to run at 4.3 OK, but it doesn't like 4.4 or higher. Might just be my MOBO as I have seen some poor write ups re the BIOS for the Gigabyte boards.

OdeFinn likes this.