Rf2 compared to other sims?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LokiD, Apr 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UGM 133A

UGM 133A Registered

Even the old official stuff without the latest CPM and chassis flex still feel good. It's a shame and feels like such a wasted opportunity to not bring them up to current tech because they could be even better.

Paul McC likes this.
  2. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

What about a paragraph break?!
    :)

3. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

I’ve broken loads of paragraphs by leaving bad spelling, grammar and stuff all over the place, like bugs, in a game. Guess I should really go fix them, hint, hinty hint, hint!

4. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I’m afraid it will never happen because of some licensing issues. AFAIK licenses were for ISI and S397 would have to apply again or something. Anyway they don’t even fix some issues in DLC cars so...

Ariff and Filip like this.
  5. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

It will probably be UI and graphics updates mostly, but I hope I’m wrong. S397 dev team is understaffed, I guess if they had iRacing’s level revenue the progress wouldn’t be that slow. new UI and then new online competition system should attract fair amount of new users , but I don’t hold my breath.

Paul McC likes this.
  6. lagg

lagg Registered

In the roadmap of march they anounced that next update would be the release candidate of the new UI, at the end of the month

7. Filip

Filip Registered

And?
    ;):D

Ariff likes this.
  8. lagg

lagg Registered

And after that, the competition system :p

9. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

If you could fire up RF2, find a shedload Of servers all running official content, no downloads needed, a load of humans in each one and a race at least every hour rather than never ending practice session and no people not even a.i. Even though the launcher says there’s 15 drivers in there... Well, life would be a breeze!

ianwGP likes this.
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think we're all hoping we get to that point in the first half of this year. Get the graphical tweaks done, the UI functional and making sense for the current core components (like seeing and joining servers, and that being bug-free), and the competition system active so there can be official racing - and easier unofficial racing too. Unfortunately even those steps would require quite a few fixes so I don't know if we'll see them soon.

At that point, the content creators can concentrate on content (instead of content AND engine improvements) and the various long standing issues with bugs and actual gameplay elements can be worked on (I hesitate to start a list, but let's at least mention AI). I have to say your hopes for the next update are very optimistic, but I'd love to be surprised.

Paul McC likes this.
  11. Ermz

Ermz Registered

You're absolutely right about the Merc GT3. I tried it for the first time the other day with a friend and we couldn't understand the artificial lightening of the wheel at speed, and the FFB yanking it into corners. I initially thought my FFB was inversed and altered the json file, only to find out it was just this car. Not sure what's going on there. This was with a DD1. All other GT3s I've tried have felt excellent.

Regarding the thread at large, it's a big discussion, but fundamentally I struggle to get friends into rF 2 because of ease-of-use issues. Most opt to play ACC instead because it's so much easier to get a game going, clearer menu, seemingly more frequent and direct developer support etc. I personally hate driving in ACC, and am the type of person that will weather rF 2's litany of bugs in order to enjoy what I think is the best driving model on the consumer market, but I am distinctly in the minority here, as many of you are.

I'd love nothing more than to see rF 2 evolve and take its crown as the king of sims, but it's going to take a gargantuan developer effort to get it there. Given the lack of pace over the last 2 years, I just don't know if s397 have the manpower for it?

Anyhow, I summed up my feelings about this whole situation as well as possible in this video:

12. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I and many other people have the issue to, FFB goes light when turning into a corner.There was long discussion in two threads IIRC, but some people seem not to have the issue and say it's great. I made screenshots from Motec that showed it.

Regarding the new online multiplayer there are some servers with quick quali and races 24/7 you can check :
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/a-race-every-25-mins.65361/page-3#post-1022361

but often are empty too.
    I don't think the new competition system will be soon. Racedepartment is working on a new platform simracing.gp which will host rF2 races also. It looks promising, but I don't know if it will attract enough users to have frequent races, especially in less popular sims like rF2.

13. UGM 133A

UGM 133A Registered

The Howstons, Eves, and Sparks don't need licensing and they're some of the best cars from the early days.

avenger82, Adrianstealth and Mauro like this.
  14. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Very optomistic mate! I know its a small team, but with stuff like this going on
    They must be starting to get quite alot of interest and money coming in with F1 drivers all over the product. Showed my Dad this and he was quite interested (watch'es real F1 alot), said wow its like a real race. Now imagine this on TV! They could invest some work and money into a more impressive visual and physical damage system and folks would watch i think, as they could actually see why a car is limping to the pits, would add to the realism. Great oppertunity for RF2 to become quite famous, attract more players and earn more money for more realistic features and getting bugs fixed. IRacing seems to be leading the way in damage visuals and physics at the mo with their new model.

Optimistic yes, but it would be awsome and they could become massive, employ more crew, and make this sim the Ubersim!

LokiD likes this.
  15. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Just to add, if you look at the thread about Greatest Sim Of All Time here, GTR2 comes up all the time, not saying it to did'nt have its probelms but amongst the many things it got right, realistic damage was one of them, and with live broadcasts it would be a massive advantage and pull to have!

Im a dreamer man! But im not the only one!

16. LokiD

LokiD Registered

wow thats awesome!

Paul McC likes this.
  17. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Ain’t it the fecking bomb! Now imagine it with damage you can see!

18. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Tomorrow at 18:00 british time there is Legends Trophy revenge

Paul McC likes this.
  19. stonec

stonec Registered

All those competitions have damage turned down to something like 25%, unfortunately very few use 100%, so no wonder it looks like cars are indestructible. Last week's FE race had wall riding at Monaco because of this. As long as people are not willing to race with realistic values, I don't see much point with improved damage.

vittorio, Emery and Remco Majoor like this.
  20. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Unfortunately, even at 100% recent official content is nearly undestructible, or at least damage level is way off, so that it breaks immersion and makes driving careless/relaxed. Luckily, unofficial content is still ok.

Yes, I noticed that many leagues have damage reduced (really frustrates me), but I just joined a series in another game with full damage, including gearbox damage (although autoclutch aid allowed :() and, grid is full. So I wouldn't say "no one" would race with full damage. I, for example, simply won't join even with 25% or off.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    Paul McC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.