[REL] iDT Champcar World Series 2007-2008 - Panoz DP-01 - Conversion

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Chris Lesperance, Apr 6, 2020.

1. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Testing was done at 88% AI to match my times as I have the excuse of being a "geezer" driver. :)

I can slow the AI down a bit with the HDV file maybe 5% as the AI Strength slider flies. Below that will probably skew the entire range where they'll be a bit less crash-free on tracks with crappy AI paths. I'll play with it and see. If it needs more that takes it to settings in every team file, a bit more tedious.

A fantastic mod overall. Big thanks to iDT for creating it, and Chris for converting it. I really missed having it in rF2.

Eric Rowland likes this.
  2. sg333

sg333 Registered

Excellent conversion, thank you. Could we get a bit more seat adjustment please, this is as far forward as I can go with the seat (21:9 btw)
    GRAB_038.JPG

3. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Thanks for the words. How much further back go?? That view seems SUPER far back the way it is. Just asking if you have looked into the FOV settings, if you have that set up properly for your set up.

I'm not sure, what is the standard for the S397 cars? I can try an mimic those settings

atomed likes this.
  4. sg333

sg333 Registered

This is as far backwards as it goes:
    GRAB_039.JPG

For reference, PM-18 Taatus: fully forward

GRAB_040.JPG
    Fully backwards:
    GRAB_041.JPG

My FOV settings are default, I never need to adjust them and always just go forward or back to get a suitable view.

5. Chris Lesperance

New update is up. I feel now that I am at the end of my rope with modding knowledge and patience :) If there is any bugs please let me know.

Panoz DP01 0.96 - 5-15-2020
    - Scratch made tire textures
    - Scratch made the Pi Research display text on steering wheel
    - Edited steering wheel display values. Time is last lap value. Not sure of the value to show current lap time with sector deltas. Let me know if it is possible (example: CART Extreme in AMS)
    - Updated Panoz_DP01_susp.dds (Suspension texture). Higher resolution and made it a wild card (WCEXTRA2)
    - Made the Panoz_DP01_CHASSIS.dds (Floor) texture a wild card (WCEXTRA3)
    - WCEXTRA0 and WCEXTRA1 (camera) I believe is now working with the PBR. Thanks Chief Wiggam
    - Physics improvements
    --- DW12 tbc - More consistant tire performance
    --- Edited some incorrect info
    --- Brake values from my converted Champ Car Lola. Better values than was currently there
    --- Removed the temp boost settings. AI might have been using the extra boost to be faster than player
    --- Raised up the 3d model to 0,0,0. That raised the car up .04 meters. That should stop the bottoming out issue.
    - Some edited sounds from djvicious. More coming soon
    - Remove unsed sounds from Sounds.mas
    - Fixed some issues with the .sfx. (Gear change sounds not working, brake squeal, turbo sound)
    - Added in the "Fantasy" skins from the original rF1 mod
    - Changed some values in the .gen that should help with the CPU usage. It is a lot better, but still might be an issue with high car counts and certain tracks. Please let me know if there are still issues.
    - Template redone with new body lines and carbon textures
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/giocf1ujdnw1a19/iDT_Panoz_DP01_Templates.7z/file

Possible Future improvements
    - Speedometer should be right orientatied, not left. Not sure how to change
    - Further Physics Improvements - Suspension, engine, aero
    - Additional sounds from djvicious
    - Driver suit textures
    - Car skins redone utilizing the full PBR
    - UI Icons if S397 releases the tool
    - Need a 3d modeler to edit a few things

Eric Rowland, makan, iDTDoug and 7 others like this.
  6. pkelly

pkelly Registered

WOW, Chris - awesome update

7. atomed

atomed Member

I just tried them Chris. Wow, what a fantastic car, love them. I didn't manage to set up the mirrors properly though. Great job, thanks a lot.

8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I can offer to help with this, where the 3D depends on what has to be done.

9. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Good work Chris!
    A little bit wiggly in the rear in default tuning but easy enough to correct with spring & bumpstops.
    Tire wear rate seems spot on form my limited test drive.
    Looks better overall.
    AI seems a bit slower, had to crank it up to run equal laps, but I only spent about 1/2 an hour testing on Road America running lap times in the 1:44's I suspect I can knock off a couple seconds with tuning.

Thanks for your work on this.

10. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Awesome job Chirs, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Chris Lesperance

I'll get my list together with some reference shots. I don't think it'll be too difficult for the many little things I have listed LOL!

Well thanks for your assistance for the initial base line. The car really started to transform after that.

12. Bernd

Bernd Registered

OK. If your list is done, i would suggest to communicate by private conversation again, to keep this thread free of it. :)

Chris Lesperance likes this.
  13. sg333

sg333 Registered

Finally got around to playing with this. Awesome update. I agree with John that the rear seems tail happy in default setup. I was able to adjust *most* of that out, but even tuning the car to be under-steery as heck I still was looping easily on slower corner exits. Even compared to the FR3.5 and many other similar single-seater cars/mods, perhaps it should be a little more planted in the rear.

Thanks for the effort put in on this, always a great car and series and great to see it being brought to life in rF2 :)

14. Chris Lesperance

Thanks! If you, or someone, is able to provide a better default set up, please let me know, and I should be able to make the changes to the HDV to reflect it. There can still be a few changes to the chassis.ini, but I do feel that it is pretty close. It's been a while since I've touched the .hdv, I don't think I made any changes from the release to how it sits on my PC now, but I do know that there has been some 3d changes that might affect the physics.

In the mean time, I haven't sat too still. With the assistance from @Bernd for doing a lot of the heavy lifting, there will be a pretty good update coming along. While the main body stayed pretty close to the same, there has been a lot of accessories and corrections added in. Too many to list at the moment. More accurate suspension points, 3d NACA duct, the pod on the right side added in, the cover underneath the roll hoop added in, 3d Exhaust tips, the cuts in the rear wing, a more accurate body lines on the template. I'm learning a little bit of 3d modeling, so I'm slowing things down, but I'm hoping to be able to do more stuff from that in the future.

With the updated template, it is requiring me to repaint the cars. The bonus with that is that I'll have a better time with creating the region map. The down fall is that there is 50+ skins to redo. So far I only have the Bourdais car completely redone and up to date (With the exception of one decal). The Rahal car is up next as the Medi-Zone decal is the one that is needed for Bourdais

20200522170656_1.jpg
    20200608183103_1.jpg

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

A big thumbs up...however that is done... :)

16. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I the same steering wheel display for another car, if you want to use it. The steering wheel is different though.
    steeringwheel.jpg

17. Chris Lesperance

Thanks! I feel really confident in what was used in the last update. The only part, which I mentioned in the one "Modding" area thread, is figuring out the right justified vs left. I used a different font texture, and it worked, but the quality was lacking. I just want to figure out how to make it for the texture that I have.

I am curious to know what your wheel will be used for :)

Attached Files:

18. Coutie

Swift 014 Formula Atlantic.
    Untitled-1.jpg

19. StrawmanAndy

StrawmanAndy Registered

Would you ever consider finishing or letting someone else finishing? Looks pretty cool

Corti likes this.
  20. Coutie

Yes, I'm finishing it, I haven't been working on it for very long.

pkelly likes this.