POLL // How important are physics a priority for you for rF2 (your wish for the rF2 future) ?

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by DrivingFast, Nov 22, 2019.

?

How important are physics a priority for you for rF2 ? (your wish for the rF2 future)

1. I wish that physics remains about the same as today

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. I wish physics is a little better but not more

16 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. I hope that physics is significantly improved

27 vote(s)
    21.8%
  4. I want physics to be S397's number one priority, ahead of other priorities

74 vote(s)
    59.7%
  1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

When people write about which sim or car 'feels' better, I think they often might mean which car is more 'familiar.' If you have driven a sim for X amount of years, then you expect certain things that you associate with feeling real. So even if another sim makes a large step forward, the feel would not be what the muscle memory and sensory inputs expect, thus the new can be criticized as 'not as good.'

Racecraft likes this.
  2. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

I am not prejudiced here. I have driven almost every sim that exists. rF2 used to be good (in previous versions) in terms of physics. Not anymore. And certainly not in "GT3 class".

I think the only cars that feel good are the Pumas and the f-vee's (and maybe the 720s gt3 as i reckon). There are some quite good private mods too (datsun SSS - which for me is outstanding, abarths, etc) so it is a matter of tuning i guess. Just my opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Then it is not rF2, it is those cars. Try older Camaro GT3, and it should feel just as it used to. Well, I suppose.

4. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

I didn't blame rF2 from beggining. ISImotor is not bad at all. Besides, AMS uses isimotor engine, right?

I just don't like the "tuning in GT3 class cars". The problem is that when i bought pumas (both) i really liked them so much that i decided to buy the 2 gt3 packs + the Endurance one. But, didn't like those 3 packs much..

PS1 Until now - as we speak - only ACC's GT3 cars "feel" as should. Not perfect, but almost.

PS2 Will try Camaro 2012 as well.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  5. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes, but the old one.

6. JRS

JRS Registered

Not likely. LOL!

Seriously though, I've studied the new iracing damage. It looks good. It's a big step in a hopefully good direction.

Interesting though, this, still one of my favorite examples of the rF1 damage system;

Since many of the parts of the car can already detach in rF2, it shares much of the same directives within the damage.ini, I'm curious how difficult it would be to have a similar damage system in rF2 as rF1 had with the deformation? If you added the particle bits that looked like carbon fiber pieces, that even the early simbin stuff had 15 years ago, it would look better. The sparks, fire and smoke are there. How difficult would it be to add that look of hoods and deck lids flopping before detaching and having wheels flop around on tethers? Have engines detach on open wheelers in massive impacts. i.e. Indycar/CART in the last 25 years.

Could there not be more than one damage.ini referenced in the .HDV that could be selected in a tuning menu to have forgiving or default damage and a Hard Core option?

Just thinking out loud. I know nothing.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    The Iron Wolf likes this.
  7. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

What separates rFactor from the rest are the quality of the physics, and a big part of that comes down to the ingenious concept of where the rubber meets the road. Most driving simulators share the same softbody physics found in Rigs of Rods and more than one actually use it as the core computing engine.

The PC/console gaming industry is an enormous market these days and its clear the majority of "armchair racers" prefer the gaming options over realism, and there is nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately those preferences tend to conflict with development resources allocated to improving the physics applied to the actual driving experience.

My vote is for S397 to stay the course. Its good to improve multiplayer features, maintain graphics with the pace of hardware development and develop mods for revenue. Without income S397 will vanish. I just wouldn't be keen on watching S397 slide down the slippery slope of being gaming focused as its a market thats already saturated with lower quality sims.

8. JRS

JRS Registered

Again, I may be misunderstanding or missing things but does rF2 not cover so many elements of a complete sim that others simply do not?

Great tire model and physics, ffb, acceptable visuals for the most part, good content, real time weather, atmosphere and time of day, flag system, full calendar season, sessions of any type, decent AI, multiclass, etc.

I agree the driving experience should always be the focus but I'm also for balancing a complete experience. If you could have sim like rF2 with a match making system like you know who... or at least get rF2 able to connect to SRS so they can offer schedules, races, scoring, licensing and officiating.

Not sure about others but I'm kind of sick of iracing. it's such a pos but I end up there because I can get on session almost any time.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  9. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

That would be nice but as it is no one ever tends to list the car mod they put up on the multiplayer servers let alone fill out other data fields that would be needed to support that. From what I've seen about half the servers are just folks opening a server and fishing racers, about a quarter have some level of organization with a website, and the rest are well organized "club" sites with locked servers.

10. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

From my experience it is poor design and programming of the server list.
    We have to make the Race Event package to host a race which involves us having to input the exact content to be used on the server.
    So the info is there to be shown but it just isn't implemented in the server list.
    event.PNG

11. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

True, and its pet peeve of mine, But it does post and search on RACE EVENT. So if someone feels in the mood for say MAK Corp Group C, and searches for "Group" it would find a RACE EVENT that had the string of the car mod. Yeah, its rudimentary at best, but only a few have figured that out, or at least bother to do that.

12. JRS

JRS Registered

Have you tried SRS? I did a few times for other sims. They seemed to do a good job of providing all that info along with files(?) or links(?) and related info. Similar to what R2P used to do. Don't think this would be a big problem.

13. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

@Marcel Offermans
    Can you, because that it's been 4 years since S397 took over rF2, consider the fact that improving the physics engine is really essential ? (PLEASE SEE THE POLL RESULT).
    The only advantage of rF2 compared to simulations like ACC, apart from the diversity of cars and tracks, is physics : Reinforce urgently this advantage, because these simulations catch up to rF2 very quickly and are better than rF2 almost everywhere.

Slip_Angel likes this.
  14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You should have included bug fixes as a voting choice.

15. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

I agree, these new sims may not have same level of physics as RF2 but almost all other aspects are just better in any other sim.
    Whether it be sounds, multiplayer,U.I.
    I too think that core physics engine needs some upgrades. Kill the exploits.

16. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

UP!!

17. Comante

Comante Registered

This is the most stupid poll ever. Lucky me for skipping it for so long.
    How can you honestly make a poll like that and expect to be taken seriously ?

18. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

94 stupid people responded to this survey.

But keep it up.
    It's thanks to rF2 users like you that S397 prioritizes poorly, and your favorite simulation sinks.

But why this aggressiveness in your message?

Slip_Angel likes this.
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think maybe I should run a poll to see how many people agree with that...

20. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I think if you think about your post for 2 minutes you'll understand that it doesn't make sense. The guy above says it's stupid to poll the most important aspect of rF2 in order to remobilize S397 on this topic. You propose to poll the remark of a user of the forum taken out of the context, which does not have directly to do with rFactor 2 .... Do you see the difference?