Rf2 compared to other sims?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LokiD, Apr 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LokiD

LokiD Registered

hmm well thats bS if i ever read some! Suppose a bit like this thread....

note to self: dont post after a few beers !

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  2. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

JimmyT, atomed and John R Denman like this.
  3. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Still rf2 needs a kick up the ass. Noone here seems to care...

But it very much feels like flogging a dead horse

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

On this specific point, however, I fully agree.

Ariff, atomed and Paul McC like this.
  5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Sorry, I have to disagree with that.
    True, rF and rF2 have their name thanks to good mods. Lots and lots of proper mods, all downloadable and 99% free.
    There were times rF1 took up 80Gb on my hd.

But haven't you seen that it's made harder and harder to mod?
    Manuals are taken offline, files from the maker (to reverse engineer new things) are locked........
    If you are a modder and wan't some info; it's not coming from S397 anymore; they want to make it themselves and make it payware.

Ariff, Marisa, avenger82 and 8 others like this.
  6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Do they?
    I think they just started on another path; downloads for money and the only thing good is online......just like (here it comes) any other game......
    Without proper rules, offline is no fun. AI still goes on a specific speed, pretty static. They are 2 seconds apart and you have to be in that window to be able to fight with them. And STILL they run you off the road in the most horrible ways, keep bumping into you when your car is turned so you can't get out.

Now I have more titles, I find myself almost never playing rF2 anymore.

7. LokiD

LokiD Registered

good points..

Im going to blame the fan boys of rf2, for why its in this state. Years ago when rf2 (and still now) was constantly praised for best ai and physics etc, of course the devs will think it wont need to improve - hence what we have now.

They have gone and concentrated on other things mainly esports.

8. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I copied and pasted DrivingFasts post to save me writing the same which to respond to yet another "the sky is falling in" thread would seem a waste of time.
    Last night I did the 8 hours of Silverstone in P1 Gamings race. I am running a single player career season in the F1 1992 cars.
    When there is real life racing happening in the little MX5 Supercup car in my avatar I
    train in RF2 for upcoming events .
    RF2 is awesome and when F1 teams start using the (insert another sim-cade title here) I'll try it. Right now they still use the ISI Motor engine from RF1.
    The best most credible E-Sports events are on RF2. Do Jenson Button, Dario Franchitti, Montoya etc etc etc think its bad?

The monotony of seeing these threads pop up is only exceeded by my frustration at my failure to just ignore them.
    We saw them all about PCars then PCars2. Where are they now?

So to the question posed by the OP. Is RF2 still relevant?
    Yes.

Mark Lloyd, Filip, McKiernan and 2 others like this.
  9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I don't think rf2 ever was popular, but not unpopular either, just in the middle. It feels like it could be and it seems like it is happening soon but it just keeps staying at "soon". Personally to me there is enough in rF2 to keep having a good time, now especially that I keep getting further to know how to make physics. There is ton of stuff lacking, and supposedly someday to be improved/added, lots of details to be critical about, it is just too early for rF2 to be properly popular so it would be sustainable. Look at AC, it is proof that comparing to rF2 it doesn't take that incredibly much, but stuff just have to work and make good impressions, less bad impressions.

Well l am not sure if rF2 will surely "win" someday. It seems unlikely at this moment. But it is still very decent sim and deserves full respect and to be handled as best as possible, which is also one of rF2 issues that it is not always handled and presented at its best. Perhaps, I would even say - rarely.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  10. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

I find it amusing to watch the disgruntled come here and whine.

Granted rF2 lacks with being a gamer's best choice; it lacks the ease of online gaming found in Forza, iRacing and a few others. Not everyone wants to play with others, and there are suitable options for those who do. If those options aren't good enough there are plenty of game sims out there to choose instead.

As for those who've actually raced cars rFactor2 offers the most realistic experience to date. Online gaming is not a priority for everyone.

Its just a sim. Like any sim whether its racing, stress analysis, thermal analysis, circuit simulation, it's never going to be a perfect replication. I own over $100,000 in licences for technical sim packages and they all have their quirks, and interesting none are a bug free as rFactor2 is.

Depco, Levelup1, Mark Lloyd and 5 others like this.
  11. FAlonso

FAlonso Registered

You could find positive feedback from real pilots in each of the simulators, why do you think rF2 is the most realistic simulator for pilots? Furthermore, why do you think rF2 is more realistic? What makes the competition better?

avenger82 likes this.
  12. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

As for realism a portion of that depends on how the mod was structured. When mods are structured as a very close replica to the actual car, the setups respond nearly identical to how the real car responds. None of the others I've tried come remotely close to that level of fidelity, and frankly until they can emulate rF2 tire algorithms, there isn't a fast enough processor thats generally available to do that using their tire engine algorithms. rF2 can run far more tire deformation and grip calculations (at much higher levels of accuracy) with less CPU overhead than any other, which lightens the load for suspension geometry calculations etc. That results in a superior driving experience.

Granted only a few actually have experience with real world and sim driving, and those of us with both can tell the differences pretty quickly.

As for competition that's just not rF2's strong point. It's not bad in a league environment or even running a leaderboard system like International Sim Racing, or other organized events. As for spontaneous racing like just jumping on a server, or just putting a server up hoping to fish for other racers, it sucks. There are other better games for that.

13. LokiD

LokiD Registered

So owing it to most of you, rather make threads like this I reinstalled rf2 today, for whats been a very long time uninstalled.

Tried a few taatus and the Radical gt car around suzuka,. and yes rf2 handling/ffb is pretty great out of the box. I wont lie i dont like the ffb in the older car preSRX, but ive always said that. The newer cars have some weight to them and decent SAT the older ISI cars just seem to float and have no SAT at all really.

So the ai are raceable more than so, yes the draft needs fixing and the tapping brake lights (as does wet race pit strategies etc), but apart from that they race pretty well better than most sims to be fair. Visually wow rf2 doesnt look crap anymore, suzuka at night blew me away.

There is areas of the game that needs heavily updating but im sure they will get there one day. So yeah i really hope they fix the ai then i can start buying all the dlc ive missed out on. So please s397 fix that freakin AI and this will be the last soddin rant at rf2 :)!!!

oh i forgot to install the ui lol

14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I think you are mood man. And the SAT thing, what are you even driving?

15. LokiD

LokiD Registered

errr? self aligning torque.

Im not going to get into my opinion of the older cars ffb. So dont even go there.

16. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I don't think that you have any clue, or even interest to know how it works. So we surely don't have much to talk, especially when you don't even bother to elaborate, your feedback is hardly useful.

17. LokiD

LokiD Registered

I dont think you have a clue.
    But I'm not interested or care about your opinion so keep it in your head.

18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Oh trust us Mr LokiD, we WANT that kick in the arrears. We just continue to use what is there.

19. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Loki I'm not sure you can create a thread asking for opinions
    " what do you users think" then say this.....

Spitfire1, OdeFinn, Emery and 6 others like this.
  20. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

i tend to say: "rF2 is the best sim in the worst dress". And they are currently doing some workouts and looking for another more modern dress ;=)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.