Released The New UI is Here! (Instructions on How to Opt-in)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Tallon

Tallon Registered

Hello,

I just tried out the public beta for the interface and had a few comments.

1. The interface does not take into account users who have bezel compensation. For example, I have triple screens with a resolution of 8064 x 1440, whereas normally my resolution is around 7680x1440 without compensation. The difference is for bezel compensation, which means part of the interface is hidden behind the bezels.

2. This may not apply to everyone *cough*,... but I use a steering wheel and a simpit. This means the wheel covers up the bottom center of the screen. This means any icons, menu items, messages, etc., that cover the bottom center of the screen are unusable. Please please please consider moving menu options, messages, etc., away from the bottom center of the screen. I literally have to lean forward to peer around the wheel base while awkwardly holding the mouse to get this to work. It’s not fun. (I am assuming this applies to more than just me, since most if not all of us should have a steering wheel, which may obscure part of the screen).

3. The exit button should be on every screen. Also, when I clicked it I was forced to watch the credits and was unable to exit. I had to alt+tab and end task using the windows task manager.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    simvalek, atomed and Emery like this.
  2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

@Tallon
    1: Don't use bezel compensation. Use the ingame triple screen app.
    7680 (3 x 2560) x 1440 would be your resolution.
    384 of bezel resolution. o_O That cannot be correct.

2:There are 3rd party HUDs in the Steam workshop that should solve your problem. You might have to revert back to the default UI to install them, that shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

3:
    exit.png

Tallon likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ozzy, Tallon and ADSTA like this.
  4. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Ohhh, classic. PMSL!:D

Tallon likes this.
  5. Tallon

Tallon Registered

1. You are right on the base resolution (7680x1440). I edited my original comment to reflect this. My monitors are good but many years old the bezels are not as thin as they could be... so perhaps that's why the 384 of bezel correction? haha. You don't notice once racing, but yes. 384 bezel correction is correct, and it looks correct when driving. I normally use bezel correction because it's needed to look right on any other game I might play, including anything from iracing to skyrim / etc. But I will try out your suggestion and see how it works out.

2. For in-game information, i use Sim Dashboard on my phone. You can customize the layout and it works with every racing game I've tried - pretty happy with it :).

3. LOL! Oh man, that's what I get for not looking behind the wheel. *sigh*
    Am I seriously the only one that has this issue? Does everyone have their monitor so high it's completely above the wheel? Or is everyone's wheel so low it's not an issue? Or the wheel is so close it's not an issue? I have my monitor setup so it, as much as possible, aligns with my eyes so it's as realistic as possible on the viewing angle/etc. The wheel is as low as it goes ( i have an obutto revoluion - wish i knew more before i got this, i would have just built my own rig), but it does feel like it's in a good position both height and distance wise. This also means it blocks the bottom center of the screen *sigh*.

6. Tallon

Tallon Registered

Ok, so using the triple screen on the video settings with 7680x1440 resolution worked good in regards to bezel correction.

Doesn't change that the bottom center of the screen is blocked. I recall now that I tried many things to get this stupid monitor stand to hold the three monitors at an even level, and the result left the monitors lower than perhaps necessary. Wish I had built my own setup! Anyway, perhaps this will only be fixed *for me* when I do save up and build my own setup, or when I get VR. Either way, it'd be nice to have major UI elements not at the bottom center. Unless I truly am the only one with this issue! lol

7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

@Tallon Do you overlap your side monitors behind the centre monitor? Bezels are a big factor for me when choosing monitors.
    The Dell monitors I have now have got a whooping 6mm bezel. ;)
    If you need bezel correction for other games you may as well use it then. Saves changing it all the time.
    As I said, check the Workshop for HUDs.
    https://steamcommunity.com/workshop...edfileid=0&browsesort=textsearch&section=home
    If you download any HUDs, when you are in-game (using the default UI not the beta) just go to On Scree Display and select it there.

No, your not the only one. My wheel is a few inches above the bottom of the monitor.

Tallon likes this.
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Not at all :)

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....s-on-how-to-opt-in.64784/page-21#post-1012144

I posted in regards to this a little on the following page as well, and I think even linked to a similar post regarding the current (non-beta) UI. But don't feel like you shouldn't have missed it - I knew those posts were there and it took me 5 mins to find them :D

I'll repeat here this sort of thing may be more likely to have suitable options because of the way the new UI is built. And while it hasn't happened yet, I think it could/should be a consideration for a serious sim targeting serious simmers with wheels in front of their faces. Heck, I'm on a desk and the only reason my screen isn't blocked is because I've got the TM F1 rim so it's flat on top.

Tallon likes this.
  9. jjcook

jjcook Registered

compared to the current ui this new beta one takes too many steps etc to get to a multi player race , also you cant change cars in a practice session and the vehicle labels dont show in the new ui , i suspect other issues but frankly ive given up even trying it out , it takes around twice as long to get to a league race , and the new ui is generally more buggy and slow to respond than the current one , making whatever good changes there are pointless

10. philman

philman Registered

All the above reinforces me in the fact that this new user interface is a nonsense and an unrecoverable waste of time for S397. There are so many topics waiting for development that have been dragging on for over a year now!
    And besides, this new IU isn't finished yet.

Marisa, Hazi, Mauro and 1 other person like this.
  11. elbo

elbo Registered

The new UI's ability to sort human players from AI in public servers is its only saving grace...if all you do is offline or league racing then the old one is still vastly more efficient and complete and I am in agreement with your statement.

12. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I haven't found one reason to use the beta UI as I only do league racing. After testing it when it has been updated and quickly seeing it has nowhere near the functionality and ease of use as the default UI I make a quick post and revert back to the default.
    If we weren't able to still use the old UI then the post count would be a lot higher.

qusimano, atomed and Emery like this.
  13. Filip

Filip Registered

There is also a potentially useful new search feature for users with plenty of content.
    But it is implemented badly, so not very usable.
    Personal generous estimation for that specific fix: 2 hrs
    Time passed since last new UI update : 2880 hrs
    Conclusion: new UI is abandoned by authors and they are working on a completeley redesigned one.
    Maybe it's a good thing.

qusimano likes this.
  14. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Did I understand correctly the last roadmap :

We can expect a really major update of the UI at the ~end of the month ?

And it would no longer be a beta version but the new standard ?

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The roadmap says: "Expect a release candidate towards the end of this month."

This would mean an update that they hope would be suitable to replace the existing one, but should mean it's not yet replacing it by default.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Release_candidate

16. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I was not sure because of the turn of phrase, knowing that English is not my native language. (for a French one can nevertheless say that I have a doctorate in English. I'm kidding.)

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yes, I understand. That's why I explained it. Of course I don't know what's actually going to happen, but that's what the roadmap says :p

DrivingFast likes this.
  18. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

With the old UI I could copy and paste the server password into the box with Ctrl V, but the new UI I can not any more. Would love to be able to with the new one, to save on typing.

No big deal, but the screenshot below has the odd spelling mistake and some odd grammar.
    20200212174351_1.jpg

19. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Yes, I tire of seeing tyre misspelt. also metre and litre......
    ;)

20. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Looks like a vowel movement to me.....