Tire temperatures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by franser, Apr 17, 2020.

1. franser

franser Registered

I'm having trouble getting the tires to the ideal temperature, mostly it happens to me in GT cars, I tried changing the pressures but the temperatures do not exceed 70 degrees Celsius

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Who is to say that 70 is not the ideal temp?
    part of the issue may be the anti-lock brakes and traction control.(GT3) Those aids remove two contributors to heating the tread surface of the tire.
    Play with air pressures, compounds, and stiffen the suspension. You may find more heat.

franser likes this.
  3. franser

franser Registered

I did it, I tried a lot of tire pressure but the one with the most grip on the car is using the minimum allowable pressure, which is 16 psi

4. Tom Lory

Tom Lory Registered

At some point, displaying in-game very basic performance related data like optimum tire, brake and oil temperatures and torque and HP peaks should be a goal for the developers. For physics files within mas files that aren't encrypted, the information is available by extracting and studying the files or using an application like Car Stat. In real life, teams know those basic datum, a serious racing sim should make it available, too.

Ricardo Diz, atomed and davehenrie like this.
  5. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

The inner rubber or carcass temperatures are much higher after some time than what you see as contact/surface temperature
    The inner layer temperatures of a tire (rubber temp, carcass temp) get hotter than the surface / contact temperature that you see in the HUD, after some time of driving

mantasisg and atomed like this.
  6. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Turn off traction controls. I have no trouble getting tires hot.

franser likes this.
  7. franser

franser Registered

Yes, the gt3 and endurance packages are the ones that have the best simulation of tires, the porsche cup is the only car that works best with minimum pressures

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@franser the other important point is how you're driving the car. If the tyres on a car are selected based on how fast drivers drive it - which usually means some controlled sliding, to a small degree, on most corners, then driving more slowly (further back from the edge) can lead to colder tyres. Of course it's then easy to try too hard and go past the limit, which leads to excessive heat. Finding and keeping that balance is the skill of it.

Obviously this varies between cars, but something to consider.

franser likes this.
  9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I wonder if the OP means tire surface temps that can be seen in real time tire monitoring application, or data from garage (setup screen), I think that where the actual tire core temperatures are displayed, including actual hot tire pressure. Not sure how it is in new UI I am still preparing for new UI.

franser likes this.
  10. franser

franser Registered

I made use of the motec and all its functions and you can see the actual temperature of the tire on its entire surface, not only the tread but also on the inside and how the heat and pressure of the tire varies according to the curve and the weight it is transferring to that tire

11. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

You say GT but you dont say what GT mod exactly, and what tire compound. You say 70°C but you don´t say what temperature exactly. You don´t even say on what track at what laptime approx. . In Silverstone it can take up to 10 laps to build up temperature and pressure inside.

franser likes this.
  12. franser

franser Registered

The official content of gt3 challenge on the imola circuit costs a lot to maintain the temperatures of the tires, lap rate 1.44.1, in Spa or Sebring studio 397 the tires work at optimal temperatures with soft tires.
    The official porsche gt3 cup is the car that costs me the most to make the temperatures stabilize generally they heat up in a curve but they lose a lot of temperature on the straights