wet reflection problems?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Andrea1968, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Andrea1968

Andrea1968 Registered

hi, the problem as seen in the photo is that the reflection also occurs through the buildings or fences.
    for example, as in the photo, the dunlop bridge should not be seen at that point because there is a structure in front of it, and so it also happens in other points. can anyone show me what to try?
    thank you so much
    riflessi.jpg

atomed likes this.
  2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Make the building reflect then.

3. Andrea1968

Andrea1968 Registered

yes, in this case it worked great, but in this other case it does not work, the road passes under the curve where there is a crane and a telescopic handler which are reflected where they should not be as in the photo (as well as the billboards who are in the street behind).
    I think the problem is the reflection planes, there are some links that explain how to set the values of the reflection planes
    ReflectPlane = (0.000, -1.000, 0.000, 0)?
    thank you
    riflessi.jpg

4. Coutie

Are you creating refplanes for those objects? The globabl refplane is only good if the track is flat. Here you can also reflect the wall, and it'll most likely stop things from being shown.

5. Andrea1968

Andrea1968 Registered

Perfect, that's definitely the problem. But I don't know how to set up a refplane for multiple objects, is it possible to have some more info? Thank you

6. Coutie

7. McNolo

McNolo Registered

The system for reflecting objects is quite rudimentary. I don't know how the reflex system works for games like GTA, but I would bet that the material itself creates the reflection without planes or adjustments. I don't know if it is possible to implement something like that in rFactor 2 (I suppose not, otherwise it would already exist), but it is obvious that the current system has many shortcomings, besides being very cumbersome.

It is practically impossible to create certain types of reflections and others are a problem, especially those where there are two parts of the track that pass close but are at different levels. An example of this is Monaco, where if you create reflections at the bottom of the track, you will see them at the top as well, which should not happen, besides, of course, they are totally misplaced "floating" anywhere . It is something really ugly, with which in the end the best thing is to suppress certain reflections, simply that they are not seen.

I think I have read something about trying to improve this issue. Is there any information we can know about this?

philrob, Corti and atomed like this.
  8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Do you use only 1 ReflectPlane = entry for the whole track?
    Maybe you have to use an own ReflectPlane = entry for each mesh that you want to have reflected.
    Look into the scn file of the devmodes joesville track, where some instances have an own ReflectPlane = entry.
    Try out if that improves the situation.

9. Andrea1968

Andrea1968 Registered

the guide indicated above by Coutie is excellent, the problem is that it refers to those who use 3dmax, I use blender that does not have plugins like that.
    I also tried with blender to create a mesh plane under an object, associate it with the road surface material, convert everything back into the object, the problem however is that I cannot get the coordinates of the reflection plane that I created.
    however a solution is to omit some reflections that are in strategic points, in the end the solution is acceptable.