still no fixed upgrades on Server

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Stevy, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Stevy

Stevy Registered

I just tested it.
    Fixed Upgrades still don't work on dedicated Servers and never did.
    I don't know how many times people complained about this.
    If rFactor really want to do a (serious) competition system, which wants to compete with iRacing, this should be fixed asap!!!
    Otherwise this whole comp system will be a joke if you don't just want to race Cup races or GT3s.
    Imagen people running what they want. Low or High downforce. Big or small tank size. Hard or soft tyres.
    I'm sure this is a really small fix, but it really should happen fast.

Daniele Vidimari likes this.
  2. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

This
    Never worked for me. Can you explain how you make it working?

3. Daniele Vidimari

Mm, i tried that a couple of time in the past, i'll try again tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  4. Goanna

Goanna Registered

We used those instructions and it did not work...try setting up a server with the Meganes at Road Atlanta, with the endurance upgrade. We set ours up as per those instructions and everyone bar me (because I had it to setup the server) who joined did not have then enduro config.
    Easy way to check is see how much fuel you need to fill the tank.

5. Daniele Vidimari

Last time i tried was with the VW Fun Cup and the Caterham mods, i'm 100% sure i followed all the steps, as the procedure is very similar to the fixed setups (which works). The fact that a lot of leagues (ie VEC, the official endurance championship) are using a custom upgrades.ini to fix them says a lot.
    Tomorrow i'll do some tests with official and modded content.

6. Stevy

Stevy Registered

wait, make sure we speak about two physically different Machines.
    If you just do it yourself on the same PC as the Server you will see the Upgrades from "Singleplayer".
    Also make sure that you "clean" everything, as a new Client which connects to the Server the first time won't have any Upgrade-Data.
    So we speak about the SteamCMD Server. I'm running the Server on my Notebook and then connect via my Main-PC.
    I create the Upgrade on my Main-PC (full rFactor2 installation with everything I want) and copy the Upgrade.ini (Userdata/player/setting/specific-car-folder) on the Server also into the setting folder(plus checked "fixed upgrades" at the server start).
    After that I delete everything from my Main-PC. Connect to the Server, and now...it doen't work.
    Since forever it doesn't work.
    I can still create my own Upgrades and force them how I like.
    Again it never worked.
    Of course I don't care about something like this if we race just Flat6 Cup (where you can choose from an Antenna or not or the new Grid Position lights).
    Or when we use the EnduRacers mod where you can choose nothing at all.
    But it gets troublesome when you want to use, for example, the Megane.
    Better engine, bigger fuel tank (don't know whats more atm).
    Or when you can choose a better Aero (someone mentioned an Aeroproblem with the (officially DLC!!!)Oreca).
    How do you imagine a online race where 2 people suddently can end the race without an fuel stop because they knew that fixed upgrades don't work and therefore they can choose the bigger fuel tank ?
    As if this problem alone was not enough it wasn't fixed since the beginning!!!
    How many people have already complained about this ?!
    And now they want to create and online competition for this!!!
    Can you imagine this ?

7. Goanna

Goanna Registered

just joined, left a message :)
    Notfixed.JPG

8. Stevy

Stevy Registered

This can't be an option if rFactor want to be more than what it is now. Especially if there is already an option but it "just" don't work.
    Again. It doesn't work since always. I don't know why this was never fixed. But now with upcoming competition system this is unacceptable.

9. Tom Lory

Tom Lory Registered

I suspect that it works with Dedicated Server on a PC that has a full rF2 installation and is used to host but I just now spent over 2 hours trying everything that I could think of including copying from my PC and editing as seemingly required the GAL and SVM files to our (www.efnetsimracing.com) remote dedicated server (NRT Servers) and Fixed Upgrades simply doesn't work the way that it should.

The workaround for us with championship series and special events will be to avoid cars and car sets that have performance related upgrades or simply allow any and all upgrades. I trust our racers to configure their cars fairly but that's a lot of extra man hours to convey and implement with no guarantee that someone won't make an honest mistake.

For cars that don't have encrypted files, then, sure, I guess we could league patch but with so many cars to choose from why bother?

"Modders" (if that's still the right title) could help us out by creating cars with separate HDV files rather than using the upgrade route to offer more power, grip, DF, brakes, fuel capacity, etc then we can reliably enable only the cars we want.

IIRC it was the same case with rFactor, either "run what you brung" or avoid the cars.

10. Ralffan

Ralffan Registered

I agree with all of you. Tested 1000 things, but fixed upgrades don't work in multiplayer. At least not with steamCMD server. I wish it will be fixed soon... In sinleplayer works without problem so I don't know how difficult can be to fix this.

PS: In the dedicated, there is something called Upgrade Credits. It's greyed out and cannot write... I wonder what is that.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I would guess it's a leftover from rF1 and the credits system (for buying cars).

As far as fixed upgrades, from the posts I read I thought Jimmi wasn't able to fix upgrades with his competition servers which strongly suggests it's not possible. But I would imagine it's well and truly on the list for the competition system, which makes a fix for the current system also less likely.

12. Ralffan

Ralffan Registered

Sad to read that :( I really hope it will be fixed.

13. MadBad

MadBad Registered

Any news on this?
    Tried the suggested procedure but didnt seem to work.

14. JParra

JParra Registered

Greetings community.
    Do you know if there is anything new about this?
    I tried the procedure described in the PDF and it doesn't work in my case, the drivers can freely change the upgrades and access the server.
    In my case I force the improvements on my PC, then I copy the folder created in settings with its files on the SteamCMD server and finally I start the server with the check for fixed upgrades activated. But it does not work.

Thank you.

15. lagg

lagg Registered

S397 don't use the upgrades in the Official M2 championship, so i suposse it doesn't work.

16. JParra

JParra Registered

I understand.
    So ... What would be the best way to open a server that only supports one type of upgrades.

I explain my case.

In my community we have a "minor" league where new pilots usually start.
    In this competition, the setup parameters are mostly locked, to facilitate learning.
    We have always created a new HDV with these parameters set, but this time we wanted to force changes from upgrades.ini in order to have the option to load the "original open setup" for testing.

My idea was that at the time of opening the server, everyone forced the improvement of "restricted setup".

I've also tried assigning classes from upgrades.ini with DisplayClassOverride = so that I can allow only one internal class to start the server, but I can't get it to work.

What method would you recommend?

Thank you.

17. lagg

lagg Registered

I package different updates of the car and install in the server what i want in every moment.

18. JParra

JParra Registered

Yes, of course that would not give mistakes. But I would like something more versatile.

I've also been testing the Upgrades.ini file with the UpgradeClass = parameter so that each upgrade pack will also change the class, but I can't find a way to make it work.

That would be a good solution, just add the class you want when starting the server.

Anyway, if there is no possible method to fix upgrades or to be able to select them by class, I will have to abandon the idea and leave a single car with setup open for testing, just as I did in the past.