E Racing, TV and YouTube

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Richard Busch, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Richard Busch

Richard Busch Member

I'm just curious if any of you are watching the any of the online racing on YouTube, Twitch, and TV? What are your thoughts if you do, or don't. How do you like it? Are you noticing any differences between iRacing and rF2?

2. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

I have been watching the Indycar races - they have been entertaining. F1 is rubbish (where are the professionals?) the V8 Supercars looks promising as well. It would be cool to compile a list of links, as I couldn't easily work out how to watch the Racing Legends one in the McLaren M23.

No real comments on platform differences - although I noticed some lag in the first Indycar race

Mauro likes this.
  3. Filip

Filip Registered

F1 has many proffesionals

4. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

Maybe you misunderstood . Look at the first F1 eRace. Where are Vettel, Hamilton, Bottas, Ricciardo, Kimi, Kyvat, Ocon etc. Unless you count Jimmy Broadbent as a professional? I meant real F1 drivers run in the official F1 race

5. Mark Lloyd

Mark Lloyd Registered

"The Race" YouTube channel broadcasts this and the other races connected to it.

Brack Jabham likes this.
  6. gangstorm

gangstorm Registered

Brack Jabham likes this.
  7. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

pkelly and gangstorm like this.
  8. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The Race; Watched the first couple of events which were good but it's kinda lost my attention since then.
    IndyCar; Very good, decent racing, able to watch the stream whilst also watching Scott McLaughlins twitch feed, such a great insight into the driver & crew chief you really get an understanding of what they're trying to do each race.
    Supercars; Missed the first one as it's stupidly on a Tuesday (at work) so need to catch up.
    F1; Watched one but that was enough.

I much prefer to watch a race filled with real drivers over a race with mixed real and a few "celebrity" YouTubers, I don't mind watching the Sim Aliens but again on their own with no "Jimmer" for example.

What has been interesting is hearing the real drivers talk about sim racing in general, it's a big mixed bag of those that like it and those that hate it, also very few running in VR which i find strange.

Nice to see their rigs on broadcasts too and hear what their thoughts are on the sim they're driving, its been altogether pretty cool so far....but it'll never beat watching the real thing.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Incidentally it's generally been good for Sim Racing as a whole, I saw a chart a while back showing must Sims had a boost in sales, that may continue as gaming in general "has done well" during this pandemic and the need to stay home.

Viewing figures are decent, this is from the first Supercars race:
    The races were broadcast live on Fox Sports and online via several streaming services. Supercars reported an audience share of over 150,000 viewers for the two-hour broadcast.

The IndyCar races are also broadcast on Sky Sports F1 channel which is handy!

11. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I'll copy and past a comment I made on another thread as it deals directly with this question.
    Since that post a couple of things have happened;
    Jenson Button won at Sebring (The Race-Legends event), that can only mean he is practicing a lot as he only started the week before. Villeneuve raced on a game controller! Landos rig is worth £30,000. https://coolperformance.com/product
    Pros are taking it seriously.

The "Race for the world" on F1 2019 was a bit of a farce. If you took away the fact that half the grid were current F1 drivers it would have just been a random lobby of 16 year olds. They need marshalling, managing and commentary to do a "Show".

The crème rise to the top; Van Buren, Huis, Simoncic,

Meanwhile I am racing Brundle, Berger, Schumacher, senna Mansell, Patrese (in the ASR Modding 1992 mod).

Previous post follows....
    I have watched all the iterations of the high profile race drivers events.
    Nascar on iRacing
    F1 2019
    All Star events on RF2.
    In my view RF2 came out very well.
    "The Race" made a very good decision to have 3 heats for real life Pros and one for elite sim Racers. That meant the final had plenty of famous names and the creme de la creme of sim racing which was fantastic for all. The Legends event blew my mind. Emerson Fittipaldi twice WDC and twice Indy 500 winner and a roll call of superstars.
    The physics and racing were first class and Jack Nicholls (who got his start in FSR and was a sim racer) and Jolyon Palmer did a superb job in commentary.
    They took it very seriously and professionaly.
    The Legends race and the pro race have seen two impressive things happen; the older legends have encouraged their mates to get involved. The real world pros have been practicing hard to close the gap to the Sim pros. Ruben Barrichelo who won last week is a veteran sim racer.
    They were also brave enough to make bold decisions on car and track combos. Those decisions have played out well.

The pro events in low aero cars has seen RF2 experts Rudy Van Buren shine. The high aero events have seen Jerni Simoncic shine. Stoffel van Dorne is a FSR alumni too.

Bottom line is they have liked it and are taking it seriously and hundreds of thousands of people are seeing it for the first time.

The first F1 2019 event at Bahrain was just a celebrity giggle, but even it was pretty good in Melbourne where Le Clerc won. Verstappen won't drive the Codies title any more. The world has discovered Jimmi Broadbent.
    iRacing on ovals had only real drivers but featured very slick real commentary.

The one that I watch for a genuine event is The Race which is on RF2. We get the best of both worlds (virtual and real), great racing, great physics, legendary drivers.

In my take RF2 has nothing to be ashamed of as millions discover sim racing.

pkelly and Mark Lloyd like this.
  12. Mark Lloyd

Mark Lloyd Registered

Well said.

David O'Reilly likes this.
  13. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

I am quite a different kind of viewer than the average, but what I find rF2 being very good in, is showing their physics, in stream as well. In iracing they are driving like it's on rails and you can't drive the cars with playing around.

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I think the good thing to come from this and other real drivers experience across the Sims, is that all the Sims still have a long way to go before they're even remotely close to reality. I've heard in streams the Sim Aliens talking to the Real Drivers about setting up the car, it's not so much about doing what they do in real life but finding the "flaws" of the Sim and getting a setup that works in the Sim....which might not necessarily translate to a real life setup at all.

There's no doubt we've come a long long way since the early days, but it's clearly evident there's still a long long way to go, which is good!

Remco Majoor likes this.
  15. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I think all the stuff I have seen has been fixed setups# so I'm curious where such a thing was discussed?

#Fixed setups are such a good idea for these races as it removes as competitive advantage from the people connected to sim racing teams and makes it about talent.

On another slighlty connected subject I watched someone drive the McLaren simulator and the employee showing the broadcaster around explained that the Sim engine was Rfactor.
    I hope you don't ask for a link as it's about 100 YT videos ago!!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

One of the streams they were talking about general car setups in sims vs real life, nothing to do with fixed setups.

17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I find it completely opposite. iR looks so much better than any other sim externally. All kinematics, all movements are briliant and looks very true to me, moreover iR looks brilliant in slowmotion and that tells a lot. But it is true that there is lack of play with tire, and that can be best observed as a driver, thats where rF2 is better, but it also depends on content, which IMO a lot of it is too forgiving in rF2. It will never be exactly like in real life, but I think it could be close, in iR they definitely driving too strictly, because tires are usually too strict over the edge, but it looks overall correct visually to me as a spectator despite not much (not enough) of play over the edge. My bet is that they could change few little values for sliding friction or something that relates to that in iR very little, and it would be cured, but who knows why they don't do that, probably same reason why they keep their prices high.

Going back to rF2 showing their physics in a stream, from a spectators angle. I disagree. It is not as good. rF2 from specators perspective doesn't look fluid, physics used for external display also seem to be simplified, at least I am sure that for replays players car use .pm file for chassis and there is probably plenty more heavy optimisations for displaying car externaly, and then probably it gets more so when it is a real time online display. Overall, I think that plenty of rF2 physics doesn't get visually revealed completely. While in iR it perhaps looks more realistic even than it is, seems like they really put plenty effort and resources to make spectating as best as possible.

Filip likes this.
  18. Filip

Filip Registered

Totally agree with this.
    Rf2 looks so strange and unnatural in replays quite oftren. Up to the point that I am wandering if there are physics engine problems or only replay problems.

Combined with not so good graphics and sometimes terrible external audio it's not a surprise it is not appealing to broader more casual audience seeking for immersion.

19. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Can you please give TL;DR what(if anything) they say about handling/physics in rF2 and iRacing (maybe ACC also)? AFAIK official F1 2019 is not popular among F1 drivers.

20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Not a fan of watching other ppl sitting in front of a computer playing games, especially simracing since it always look like we all do the same thing but for some crazy reason some ppl go 30 seconds faster per lap than others lol (I mean compared to other game genres where the skill difference is visible in every aspect) so I usually take a look onlly to see how things are organized.
    iRacing is by far the best on tv cams, can't compare it with anything else
    Not comfortable with the full force esports focus, I think it'll be bad for simracing at some point and seeing a dev saying "simracing = esports" and even some talks about distancing it from real life racing didn't help :D

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020