“Insufficient Video Memory”

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Christian Ross, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Christian Ross

Christian Ross Registered

When I try loading the game up I get a Startup Error saying that I have Insufficient Video Memory and that 512MB is required. I went into my System Settings and it says that I do in fact have the Minimum Required. Any possible fixes?

Attached Files:

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Laptop? 512 is no longer sufficient. And shared memory is not always detected.
    We have had a rash of laptop problems of late
    All I can offer is the hope S397 will someday update the requirements on Steam and within the program itself. minimum requirements with all the changes rF2 has undergone are far greater than what is currently stated.

3. Christian Ross

Christian Ross Registered

Yes it’s an ASUS Laptop. I used to play rF and rF2 all the time on this same laptop several years ago and both games ran fine. Now with the popularity Sim Racing is getting due to the times it gave me the urge to get back into it so I reinstalled rF2 and it isn’t working anymore. Hope things change.

4. stonec

stonec Registered

Actually an Intel HD 4400 is even well below current minimum requirements listed on Steam. I think it should let you launch the game if you just press Yes, but obviously the experience won't be great with integrated GPU's.

5. Tommy2Fingers

Tommy2Fingers Registered

you can try going back to version 1109 dx9 in steam rf2 properties / betas

6. Jan Blatchford Pace

Jan Blatchford Pace Registered

I am having this problem too.
    Pressing 'yes' does nothing and I have checked the settings in graphics configuration. Dev mode does not work.

I have a Dell XPS 9370
    Intel 8550U
    16gb RAM (8gb Shared with GPU)
    Intel UHD 620 GPU
    Windows 11 Home

For context, this system will run Mass Effect Legendary Edition without any problems (to my surprise)

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The probability of addressing older laptops is not very likely. Over the past several years, rF2 has undergone a very large graphic engine update. The track files alone can account for more than 8GB of Video Ram when set to the higher graphic levels. Add cars that feature more and more detail and you are trying to stuff a much larger package into suitcase that has become too small.
    You may be able to find utilities that will allow more of your system ram to used or shared by the video subsystem, but even if you get it to load, I would think the performance would be dismal.

8. lagg

lagg Registered

I had to change my laptop to run rF2 and it had a nVidia geforce 920MX.
    I think that your GPU isn't enough

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  9. Jan Blatchford Pace

Jan Blatchford Pace Registered

I hear what your saying and I thought that as well, yet I can run Forza 7 on it. Its not pretty, but it runs.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This isn't Forza 7, and the graphics and UI have changed since a few years ago.

*separately, it can be difficult to get rF2 to use the "GPU" correctly on a laptop.

11. redapg

redapg Registered

@Jan Blatchford Pace Just a very, very small Chance, but did you run the Graphics Settings before you start the Game?
    If not, do it and select the correct Graphics Card in the Dropdown.
    If that helps, you have to do this every Time after a new Boot of the Computer, because that Setting still get not stored properly.