AI throttle/brake behaviour, not fixed yet?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Ariff, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Pales

Pales Registered

Actually, you're incorrect. We are discussing the behavioural trait changes from Build: 1110 (as outlined in the thread). Reverting to 1109 fixes that. I couldn't care less if they're not under obligation, it is in their best interest to address things that were previously working.

2. Pales

Pales Registered

Why wouldn't you want this fixed? That literally makes no sense at all.

3. Ariff

Ariff Registered

Both of these posts sums up the rF2 community pretty well.

CrimsonEminence likes this.
  4. Sean McCormack

Sean McCormack Registered

I honestly didn't even know about this change since i didn't play much of rfactor 2 until last year. Although i did race with the enduracers mod years ago and remember the race i did at silverstone being SO GOOD! Really hoping they revert this or try to fix it soon. On a side note ive touched on many times, fix the ai co driver too, please!!!

5. Filip

Filip Registered

I want other issues fixed/improved.
    This is not important to me.

6. LokiD

LokiD Registered

pffft

Ariff likes this.
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You are part of this community too, so that doesn't make sense. You're trying to say that people don't care or don't want improvement, which is what always gets thrown up when people reply to yet another thread or post about a feature not working right or still not fixed. It's mislabelling people who are simply saying "why keep posting about this every 4 days when it's not getting fixed, and posting isn't changing that?" as people who literally don't want something fixed, which is false.

There's a long long loooooooong list of things we've been wanting fixed or implemented (and I mean quite simple implementations, not the pie-in-the-sky stuff people come up with sometimes [which isn't without its place, but need to keep things in perspective timewise]) and this has been on there forever as well. Yes, this particular thread is referring to a change that apparently occurred 2 years ago, but a 'fix' would actually change the behaviour we've seen since launch - or rF1, for that matter.

The devs have it on their list, posting more threads about it (or continuously bumping threads) isn't going to put it 'more' on their list, so save everyone more of a headache by either trying your best to live with it or work around it (believe me, anyone who's done any league admin in rF/rF2 has had to work around many issues, which - again - doesn't mean they're happy to have to do it), or go play/do something else for a while so you don't get so annoyed with it.

To be fair, speaking more to @Pales here. This thread itself I don't have a problem with (it's well targeted, and makes a good comparison), but the incessant bumping and irrelevant tagging is childish. We know, from S397's own statements and the focus of their work over recent years, that AI isn't on top of their list right now so it's not going to be fixed tomorrow. That sucks for people who play against AI, yes. But it's obviously not going to change regardless of how many posts are made about it, especially when the growth coming into the simracing market is away from AI (like every other game genre) and no competitors have nailed AI yet either. This behaviour looks and sounds silly, but it doesn't prevent racing against AI.

ADSTA, Spyro, jayarrbee36 and 2 others like this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

For what it's worth, that was about the same time the rain tire/dry tire issues cropped up.

9. Ariff

Ariff Registered

Ok my bad, was just a bit pissed off at these kinds of people, sigh... About Pales, yea he needs to tone down a bit

Lazza and ADSTA like this.
  10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

What's the issue exactly? Only one I can think of is the overall slower speed of the AI when they take over your car, I have long ago mentioned in a Wish thread that we'd have the ability to create a Talent File for ourselves that the AI read from when they take over or have the AI read from another Talent File. (In my testing years ago i could not get this to work so it may be needed to be coded in)

11. Sean McCormack

It's not so much an issue, as it is an adjustment. So wrong wording... But basically the AI with all the GT3's shows that they need more front end grip (more grip overall for decent paced drivers like myself, i am by no means an alien lol). Constantly over turning into the corners and on exits. It slows them down a bunch, and its not necessarily on the AIW of each track. I just wish there was a slider for how much grip the ai has or something, because that's what i did in rfactor 1 to fix this is. I made all the GT cars i race with balanced in terms of ai grip so they turn similar lap times, almost like BOP. I have spent hundreds of hours adjusting numbers and the ways the ai drive the cars on rfactor 1.

I really wish all the files were easy to access on the rfactor 2 like they are on rfactor 1. I wouldnt need to complain about anything, if they were adjustable by myself. All of the repackaging and things of cars if you edit them seem crazy. Is it possible to do with official content? because i cant seem to find the tire files anywhere for the official GT3 cars. I'd be willing to adjust them if someone could tell me.

Not to go on a rant or anything, but rfactor 2 has a HUGE offline potential if they could adjust the things i mentioned above. ACC as no ai co driver, yet anyway, and no other sim has that to my knowledge except rfactor 1 & 2. if they could make it great, endurance racing on on rfactor 2 would be INCREDIBLE. I would not need anything else in my life lol.

Hazi likes this.
  12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ok i got confused when you said "ai co driver" i thought you meant something for Endurance Races where the AI take over your car, nvm :)

13. Sean McCormack

yeah thats what i meant hahaha. i like to call it my co driver! we're a team!

everything i said pretty much doesnt matter now, since i just repackaged simtek gt3 today to have faster ai and such. So the ai co driver isnt slow for me now! at least on that mod lol.

Hazi likes this.
  14. Sean McCormack

I know this thread is done with, but I wanted to just say that (since I've been doing a lot of testing with the ai the last 2 weeks or so) the ai seem to really struggle with long 180 degree like turns and sweeping turns where you have to wait for the car before getting on throttle. Some examples are turn 1 at mugello and the esses at suzuka. the 100% or 0% throttle is a big problem there, and I'm sure that's why they lose so much time there. At mugello the ai co driver, that can take over my car, specifically is 5+ seconds a lap slower since almost all turns at that track are like that. just wanted to get this out there.

sorry if this is annoying.

just FYI, I put .05 (probably needs .06 or .07) more grip on the front tires on the simtek gt3 mod, at that helped a lot with the problem corners, from my testing. I haven't tested too many tracks though.

15. JRS

JRS Registered

I have not been here in ages. I came for this exact reason and here is a week old post.

When is this burpy throttle behavior with the AI going to be remedied? It really sucks the life out of replays of otherwise great racing moments.

16. Pales

Pales Registered

I have contacted several developers directly with only one of them responding. It's on a "to do list" just like it was two years ago. So in short, it's unlikely to get fixed any time soon (although the behaviour trait change was as a resut of them!) and if we go by any of the other ai problems and the timeline, it might not even get fixed at all.

That isn't me being overly negative either, I would say that it is a realistic response.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  17. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

If the rFactor AI code is anything like the software engineering nightmare that Stefano Casillo showed in AC videos then S397 are probably too scared to touch anything in it for fear of breaking it.

Pales likes this.
  18. Pales

Pales Registered

I think this is exactly the case.

19. Ariff

Ariff Registered

Late reply, but didnt this 1110 build update broke it? lol

20. mantazzo

mantazzo Registered

Yeah, AI kind of broke with Build 1110 (regarding the throttle/brake behavior). If you want, you can test it out on Steam by selecting a pre-v1110 branch (same as we now select public-beta).