Current Project - Many questions

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Chris Lesperance, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Finally got a little bit of time from moving and quarantine to work on a long standing project of mine. I have everything about 75% done with the exception of the physics. I need some one to make/convert the physics!
    20200331154151_1.jpg

But anyways I have a couple quick questions

1. Onboard Anti Roll bars - How/where do I enable that?

2. Hand - Wheel alignment - I have the driver animation and wheel animation working well. The issue is that I do not have it aligned with the physical steering wheel (see picture). If I change the cockpitinfo.ini/ SteeringDegreesPerFrame=1.0 to 1.5, the wheel will line up with my physical steering wheel, but the driver animation will not. What am I missing?
    20200331154219_1.jpg

I'm sure to have many other questions as I continue on.

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

From the skip barber
    "FrontAntiSwayParams=(1, 0, 0) // Whether antisway bar is (0=diameter-based or 1=spring-based, detachable, adjustable on the fly)"

For the steering, you need to see what the turns to lock is in the hdv, then multiply that by 360 to get the degrees. Then you can figure out what you need to set the degreesperframe to.

3. boxer

boxer Registered

Do you have the season skin pack as well? or are you releasing the template?

4. Chris Lesperance

I think I have most things figured out. Found a bug with a suspension line in the HDV. So now the suspension moves a bit. But with that, I discovered one more. I have an issue where the AI set up is different than the player set up. WIth the player, the car is bottoming out, causing instability and loss of top speed. When the AI is selected, the game "raises it up" and it does not have the bottoming out issue. Where can I pull the AI setup to use it for the player?

5. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Are the tyre sizes different between the tgm and tbc?

6. Chris Lesperance

It shouldn't be. Will have to investigate. It is currently using the full 2014 DW12 tbc and tgm. I do have the rF1 converted tbc, that uses the same tgm files. Both have this issue.

I grabbed a bit better video. It seems something suspension related. Not seeing any movement with the tires, but it seems like it has air bag suspension LOL!

7. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Yeah then that shouldn't be the problem for sure... DW12 TBC and TGM naturally match

8. Chris Lesperance

I think i found it, sort of. In the hdv there are these lines, but I don't know what these numbers replace for the player section

AIMinPassesPerTick=7
    AINegSuspForceMult=0.01
    AICornerRates=(0.9,0.9,0.9,0.9)
    AIBumpstop=(1,0.5,1,0.5)
    AIDamping=(1,1,1,1)
    AIDownforceZArm=0.0
    AIDownforceBias=0.0
    AIFuelMult=-1
    AIPerfUsage=(-1,-1,-1)
    AITableParams=(-1,-1)
    AIBodyRollFactor=1.0
    AIBodyRollMaxAngle=5.0

9. Chris Lesperance

Well this is interesting. I go in game, did the same test, load AI driver to player and back. But then after, I decided to change the ride height in the garage menu. The weird thing is that the player car doesn't change. But the AI, the setup took the change...what the heck am I missing?!?

10. Chris Lesperance

I think I have it figured out, at least partly. I replaced the "PushrodOutboard" and "PushrodInboard" lines on all 4 corners with ones from the DW12 and it seems to work a lot better. Without the huge difference between the AI and player car. The result was good as well as the player car isn't dragging at speed either.

Lazza likes this.
  11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Chris Lesperance those HDV lines do need to match the .pm/chassis file for things to work correctly. The AI lines you posted earlier you can disregard, they're just about 'settling down' the AI behaviour because of the lower fidelity suspension they use.

The physics spreadsheet from S397 avoids missing out things or making little maths errors, though admittedly it can be a lot of work to set up fully. But with the basics like tyre size and wheelbase & track set up, you can plug in the suspension coordinates (it takes a little maths, but only the once) and then you can copy the output from the spreadsheet into the HDV and/or suspension files without any dramas. But, since you have it working to some extent now, you can perhaps not worry about it unless you identify some strange behaviour.

12. Chris Lesperance

Yeah that's pretty much the route I'm going to go with it. It isn't ideal. I unfortunately do not know much on the physics side. But I think what i have is ball park, and is different enough from the other Indycars out there, that I hope it fills a need, and that every one will enjoy. :)

13. Chris Lesperance

So I've been working on an update. Got a few upgrades in, a few changes here and there and working the the .HDV a little bit with my limited knowledge. I've been testing some changes, but now I have a weird bug. If I race by myself, the car feels great. Load in AI, my player car gets a ton of random slow downs. Enough where it is unplayable. But the AI is unaffected. Is there ANY ideas? This is both in retail and ModDev.

Slight edit: Loading in 5 AI was ok. Loading in 20 it is broken.

Here is the .rfcmp if anybody wants to test or take a look. You'll have to uninstall the Workshop item I'm assuming.
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/null/iDT_Panoz_DP01.rfcmp/file

14. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Probably nothing to do with the mod, you're maxing out your CPU.

15. Chris Lesperance

Well a small edit: I went back to a previous version of the HDV and had no issues. So I went section by section. Something in the Suspension section that was messing it up. I'm still not 100% sure what line it is, but it is working well now.

16. TheBigDawg

TheBigDawg Registered

I think this is next on my setup hit list so I cant wait to drive these things

17. Chris Lesperance

I'm still working on some physics updates. Came across a weird thing. I'm thinking it is an rF2 issue.I'm not sure if this is happening at other tracks, but NOLA is the one I'm experiencing this on. This is with 20 AI. Note the "Time Left" in the hud. Session starts at 2:00:00

If loading up the track, and going in car almost immediately (9 seconds into session), the CPU usage (purple bar) is near/at 100%. Player car will do a "slow motion" when the purple bar is at or past the 100%
    20200430103416_1.jpg

Going back to the garage, wait a couple minutes, some AI are on track, loading back to the track, the CPU bar is lowered to approx 75%. The CPU doesn't reach 100% again in the few laps I took
    20200430103652_1.jpg

Now forwarding to the starting grid for a race, CPU bar is lowered even more
    20200430103740_1.jpg

So I'm not sure if it is a rF2 issue or something that is odd with my physics, as I don't seem to have this issue with other cars. Anybody have ideas? I needed I can update the mod for everyone to test.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

See if it happens with no AI. That should help narrow it down a bit.

19. Chris Lesperance

I forgot to mention that. With no AI, everything works well. No slow downs

20. Chris Lesperance

I'm still working away. I hope this makes sense. I redid the steering wheel displays. I have an odd thing where I don't know how to change the number alignment. Hopefully the attached pic explains it better. The car is currently set to left, and I need to change it to right. This is for the speedometer
    display.png
    I discovered the other day, that doing a CTRL-U will allow you to see some of the physics information. What is this exactly pulling from, the hdv or chassis.ini, or both? I changed a few numbers in the chassis.ini for the A-arms, but when I reloaded it ingame, it didn't change. Seeing the chassis.ini in ptool, it doesn't look like this graphically. I wish could load in the 3d model into the Ptool to better match what I need to do, instead of guess, save, load game, make notes, load back. Is there an easier way for that?

An even better way would be to be able to grab and move the points from this view.
    [​IMG]

The last question, is there any kind of engine editor out there?