Help needed beginner modding FSAE Car

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Henrik Biehler, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Henrik Biehler

Henrik Biehler Registered

Hello all,

I like rFactor 2 and wanted to get started modding our FSAE Car with the help of the developers' modding resources page and tried to learn how to mod a car into the game but wasn't able to even really get started. All of the tutorials were for people who already know how to mod or were just too general and didn't have a step-by-step process from nothing.

I am on a FSAE team and would love to mod our electric car into the game for driver testing and showcasing at exhibitions. Are there any useful links for me to use, or is anyone willing to help me with this process?

First it's about to get the physics of the car right which is giving me problems with especially the different inertias and how to model an electric powertrain. The Spreadsheet offers a solution just for combustion engines.

2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

You could try to ask chris ( @redapg ).
    If i'm not totally wrong, i mean to remember that he did make an e-engine for a palatov d2.

3. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

You could start with the older, more simplied, rf1 style, engine ini. It is not like your going to need the newer styled mixture or turbo entries anyway.

Which Inertia values are giving issues?

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

How much KW should the engine have?
    I've made an engine a few years back for the FE car, still got it somewhere.

5. Henrik Biehler

@Navigator thank you for your help it is limited to 80kW at max 7500rpm

@lordpantsington about all because our CAD Model isn't build with the right Materials thats why the numbers given by Inventor aren't the real values.

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Well, is going to need some work than ;)
    The engine also needs to be suited to the transmission etc.
    I can give it to you, but its "special".......a lot different than other engines; would you be able to rebuild it?

7. Henrik Biehler

welll it's just a single gear with a 6:1 ratio

I don't know if I would be able to rebuild it I have never done any modding

8. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Without Inventor, getting inertia estimates is going to involve breaking the model down into uniformed material-simple shapes (not very accurate). So be glad you have it available. I would suggest you correct the issue with your models/assembly and then proceed. Assigning materials is easy (it is just a pull down). If the model was built with the generic material (density 1.0 g/cm^3), you could just multiply the inertia given by actual material density. rf expects kgm^2 for inertia. Maybe I'm not understanding the specific issue?