AI throttle/brake behaviour, not fixed yet?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Ariff, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Ariff

Ariff Registered

The past 2 years ive been noticing this issue since build 1110 was introduced. This was put in the changelog of the roadmap update "Release of Build 1110".

Im pretty sure this is where the issue came from.
    I did some testing between build 1109 and build 1110, and noticed that build 1110 and above, had AI cars mashing the throttle 0 to 100, as well as the brakes. This hurts their mid corner speed, scrubbing their tyres off and it just looks ridiculous. The AI goes full lock and tries to rejoin into the ideal path, at a slow speed. Even in the pitlane, the AI constantly mashes the throttle on/off to maintain their speed limit, while in build 1109, they maintained a stable throttle % to stay under the speed limit. 1109 had way better throttle application on the track especially in corner entry and mid corner, and almost works on every car. Makes offline racing so much better and immersive.

As for the changelog notes, who even plays at "very low AI strengths"? I havent tested it on <80% difficulty, but im pretty sure, you wouldnt sacrifice the old and good AI throttle.

After about 2 years, I finally decided to make a forum post, as well as some videos. You might have seen them under the youtube name Ariff, its the first video on the first page if you search for rfactor 2 ai.

I am no game dev expert, but I would really like this issue to be fixed and its really pissing me off, same goes with the incredibly slow development of the UI...... 2 years since April 2018? Only to have the early version to be buggy..... Competition system? Same thing...

Anyways, wont a simple hotfix that reverts the changes work? I wont wait another 6 roadmaps just for this AI thing to be fixed. Heck I didnt even know I would be still playing rF2, just here for the leagues I guess. Mini rant lol, a bit long, but please S397, fix this, and ill be happy, at least for the next few months, until the competition system gets released lol.

Im so gonna get hated for this.
    Sorry. :(

2. Pales

Pales Registered

A very informative post that highlights the issue. Quite incredible to think that I reported this back in 2018, yet two years on, the issue is still present....

3. Ariff

Ariff Registered

4. LokiD

LokiD Registered

5. Pales

Pales Registered

Given the significance of the AI and how it is a staple to the game, this should not be put on some “to do list”

Please start prioritising things that matter.

Pawel44 likes this.
  6. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

I never knew that this AI throttle 0 to 100% behavior was even fixed at some point, AFAIK it was there forever..

Lazza likes this.
  7. Pales

Pales Registered

I bet you're glad you watched the video now.

Hazi likes this.
  8. Pales

Pales Registered

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Like Prodigy I never considered this behaviour new, because this has been a thing seemingly forever.

What I can see now in the video is that it evidently got worse, bearing in mind it's always varied from car to car and is presumably partly dependent on the vehicle AI settings (like how far ahead the AI looks). But the old behaviour still exhibits some 'stabbing' so fixing that would be great, in the meantime a reversion would be good too.

@Pales No point tagging Jimmi, he's not part of the car team and is busy enough with the competitions. If you start playing tag lottery you'll just irritate.

10. Pales

Pales Registered

Lazza, he is part of the team though, so in theory, it is his duty to acknowledge posts and if necessary, communicate these messages across internally so that someone can respond.

Again, I am not surprised at all by the fact that he has liked your response, but not bothered to comment. Even if you bring these issues up directly on discord you're simply ignored, yet they are happy to respond to other comments.

Laughable. All I've witnessed since the take over is how much duck and diving tthey do whilst breaking things in the process.

If it wasn't for the lack of transparency and clarity, I wouldn't be a dick. Besides.. I reported this in 2018...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    atomed, Ariff, Mibrandt and 2 others like this.
  11. UGM 133A

UGM 133A Registered

If Senna could win with jabbing the throttle, maybe the AI thinks it can too? Jk

I've noticed this same behavior and felt it was getting worse over the years, but wasn't sure if it was just my imagination or not. Nice to see this comparison and hopefully this gets looked into since I exclusively play offline with the AI.

atomed and Pales like this.
  12. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

In my memory rF1 used to do it but a short search failed to find any conclusive videos. On the face of it it seems like a simple fix to put a smoothing filter on the throttle control - but things that seem simple often aren't when it comes to software design!

13. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

2 years? Bah. I’ve been waiting 5 years for the FCY AI to be fixed.

Any day now... Any day now... Any day now... I’m never giving up hope!

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't know if you're privy to their duty statements, but I can't agree. If someone is, say, on the graphics team, I very much doubt they have any duty to report anything said on the forum regarding anything but graphics - and even then, if anything, people tend to be asked to not say anything publicly. In fact, if the graphics progress were to slow people would probably ask why one of the graphics team is wasting their time on the forum at all, when they should be hard at work fixing graphics issues.

So no, I say leave Jimmi to do what he's doing as well as he can, and presumably helping to hone and design the upcoming competition system thanks to his actual experiences in battling through the current lack of a system. Why not let him like something he reads, instead of demanding he answer you?

Now, the juxtaposition: of course the communication hasn't been ideal. But you need to bark up the right tree, or you're actually making the problem worse.

15. Pales

Pales Registered

Then we will have to agree to disagree.

Ariff and Lazza like this.
  16. Pales

Pales Registered

17. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

18. Pales

Pales Registered

You do realise that this issue was raised in 2018, right? The reason why you're seeing it in a recent roadmap is because I contacted them directly (for the third or fourth time).

I have asked for updates following the roadmap and it is simply on a "to do list" like every other bug or issue which I have reported over the years. Nothing will get fixed.

19. Filip

Filip Registered

So?
    I don't want this to be fixed.

20. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

No, you're not right. It has been known for much longer.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....tise-licensed-car-releases.34889/#post-572422

Agree or not, as far as I'm aware the devs are under no obligation to acknowledge or divulge anything relating to bug reporting and fixing.
    They even state:
    Technical & Support
    Get help running and using rFactor2, or report issues you are having with it.
    Note: Staff may not offer support in here at all times. Contact support if you require more immediate help than found in here.

After 8 years just be thankful that rF2 isn't a memory .